The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Don't think the graph is working...
Reply 2
And once again the assumption is that the IQ is a reliable indicator of intelligence. And I'm highly skeptical of the way this data was gathered anywhere outside of the West.
And once again the assumption is that the IQ is a reliable indicator of intelligence.

Indeed. It's reliable according to MENSA members, who let's face it, need to get out more.
The graph doesn't work. Oh the irony.
Oh the ironing!
Reply 6
click the first link
No. People in Western societies at least are, on average, more academically intelligent than they were, say 200 years ago.

I think that literacy and/or numeracy are good indicators of intelligence, and they are certainly better than they used to be. Intelligence is difficult to measure though, and IQ tests are not standardised anyway so they are very unreliable, especially these ones you find on the Internet.

Edit: The graph only seems to work on Internet Exploder.
Reply 8
Andronicus Comnenus
The graph doesn't work. Oh the irony.

It's working fine for me. :confused:
Beige alert, beige alert!

I think that literacy and/or numeracy are good indicators of intelligence, and they are certainly better than they used to be. Intelligence is difficult to measure though, and IQ tests are not standardised anyway so they are very unreliable, especially these ones you find on the Internet.

I would guess that because of the increase in education, the brain has slowly and slightly adapted to this and thus become more adept at the intelectual rather than the physical.
Are you referring to my vague answer?

Intelligence is vague by its very nature.
Reply 11
Bismarck
And once again the assumption is that the IQ is a reliable indicator of intelligence.

Nor it seems is education. I can't tell you how many educated people that I meet who are frankly as dumb as a box of rocks.
Surely that is just a lack of common sense though?

You also get people who hide their intelligence, either to make themselves appear more socially acceptable, or to use as a potentially powerful weapon against others.
Reply 13
It is definately getting more stupid if people think that stupider is a word.

On a more serious note, i don't believe it is, perhaps more lazy, which is being mistaken for being stupid, but the world becoming more stupid at large? No, thats just moronic, look at all the achievements in the past 100 years...especially and continuing to be so in medical science.
Reply 14
gbduo
It is definitely getting more stupid if people think that stupider is a word.

American Heritage Dictionary - Cite This Source
stu·pid (stōō'pĭd, styōō'-) Pronunciation Key
adj. stu·pid·er, stu·pid·est

1. Slow to learn or understand; obtuse.
2. Tending to make poor decisions or careless mistakes.
3. Marked by a lack of intelligence or care; foolish or careless: a stupid mistake.
4. Dazed, stunned, or stupefied.
5. Pointless; worthless: a stupid job.

Well done...:rolleyes:
Reply 15
That's the american dictionary, i think you will find that in older oxford english, it is not a word, it is grammatically incorrect.

Tbh, its pretty boring.
Perhaps it just reflects the number of intelligent people who realise that IQ testing is an irrelevant waste of time so do not subject themselves to the tests.
ChemistBoy
Perhaps it just reflects the number of intelligent people who realise that IQ testing is an irrelevant waste of time so do not subject themselves to the tests.

That is the longest sig I've ever seen.

I think a lot of intelligent people do take IQ tests out of boredom.
Reply 18
gbduo
That's the american dictionary, i think you will find that in older oxford english, it is not a word, it is grammatically incorrect.

Tbh, its pretty boring.

So it is a word; an American one...

Are you referring to my vague answer?

No!, Your avatar!

Latest

Trending

Trending