The Student Room Group

Impostor Syndrome about Applying to Medical School

I feel like I don’t deserve to be a doctor as much as the other applicants. I love the human body - especially Psychiatry, anatomy, and the immune system. Yet I feel as if my passion for medicine is small, stupid, childish, and ugly compared to the other applicants. I feel as if my desire to contribute to society and help people is stupid and unnoteworthy. I love the idea of being able to work in a team to solve medical problems and help patients. Yet I keep feeling as if my skills aren’t good enough - as if my communication skills, as if my ability, is so small that I don’t deserve to go into medicine.
Does anyone else feel like this? Does anyone know how to deal with this? Because I can’t stand doing interview preparation feeling as if every other applicant has already done so much better than me.
Reply 1
It sounds like you have many of the attributes a future doctor needs. Comparison is unconstructive and also you don't know that your skills etc etc are less or more than "everyone's". Being invited to interview means you've earned the right to showcase yourself, like everyone else there. Self doubt in an uncertain world is usually necessary and not a weakness, so just get going along the paths you have decided on, adapting to what you find along the way, like most of us!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending