The Student Room Group

I feel so horrible

Hi everyone,
First of all, I don't even know why I chose Maths A level, I haven't always been the best in Maths. I did relatively well in my end of unit tests during AS but when it came to the final exam I got grade D. I felt so disheartened because I used to revise for it the most. I moved on to A2 and I went to a different college for my A2 and the head of Maths, refused to raise my predicted grade to C and left it at my AS grade.

She said I should do a foundation course because it does not really seem like my grade will rise to C. She just made me feel dumb so obviously my dream uni rejected me. I decided to take a full fast track A level course in Environmental Studies, I have completed the AS part so now I have the A2 part left. I am self teaching myself.

I took only 3 AS so I could not drop Maths and that's why I am taking the fast track course. I just received my A2 Maths mock grade and I have grade D again. I honestly need your help and advice to tell me how you pass Maths really highly. I really want to prove my Maths teacher wrong and I have got only 5 months left. Thanks :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Original post by maggie43
Hi everyone,
First of all, I don't even know why I chose Maths A level, I haven't always been the best in Maths. I did relatively well in my end of unit tests during AS but when it came to the final exam I got grade D. I felt so disheartened because I used to revise for it the most. I moved on to A2 and I went to a different college for my A2 and the head of Maths, refused to raise my predicted grade to C and left it at my AS grade.

She said I should do a foundation course because it does not really seem like my grade will rise to C. She just made me feel dumb so obviously my dream uni rejected me. I decided to take a full fast track A level course in Environmental Studies, I have completed the AS part so now I have the A2 part left. I am self teaching myself.

I took only 3 AS so I could not drop Maths and that's why I am taking the fast track course. I just received my A2 Maths mock grade and I have grade D again. I honestly need your help and advice to tell me how you pass Maths really highly. I really want to prove my Maths teacher wrong and I have got only 5 months left. Thanks :smile:

http://www.examsolutions.net/maths-revision/syllabuses/Edexcel/period-1/specification.php

This website is very good for going over topics, sometimes it helps to have it taught from another persons point of view

What maths modules are you doing? and which, if any, of the AS modules are you repeating?
Reply 2
Original post by DylanJ42
http://www.examsolutions.net/maths-revision/syllabuses/Edexcel/period-1/specification.php

This website is very good for going over topics, sometimes it helps to have it taught from another persons point of view

What maths modules are you doing? and which, if any, of the AS modules are you repeating?

I do C3, C4 AND D1 and retaking C1, C2 and S1. I use exam solutions as well. I don't know if its my exam technique that's wrong
I do C3, C4 AND D1 and retaking C1, C2 and S1. I use exam solutions as well. I don't know if its my exam technique that's wrong

How much C1,C2 or S1 revision have you done over christmas? Have you done any past papers for them recently? Or even better, do you have access to your maths mock paper, and if you don't mind, could you post it? It would help show misunderstanding in formula/methods and where you are making mistakes

Also don't feel down about it, 5 months is plenty of time to put your grade up :biggrin:
Reply 4
How much C1,C2 or S1 revision have you done over christmas? Have you done any past papers for them recently? Or even better, do you have access to your maths mock paper, and if you don't mind, could you post it? It would help show misunderstanding in formula/methods and where you are making mistakes

Also don't feel down about it, 5 months is plenty of time to put your grade up :biggrin:

I haven't actually revised during this holiday. I was working to save up money for my resits

Posted from TSR Mobile
Work through that textbook, try to do all the questions in the book.

When you don't understand something, Exam Solutions!

When you have completed all questions in your textbook, start doing Past Papers!
Original post by MathsAndCompSci
Work through that textbook, try to do all the questions in the book.

When you don't understand something, Exam Solutions!

When you have completed all questions in your textbook, start doing Past Papers!

This. Though it can be time consuming, it really helps. I did it for each of my modules. If it takes too long, do every other question, that should take you half the time :tongue:

A D in a mock exam... without seeing the actual paper it's hard to say, but I would say that some exam technique and some knowledge is there, but the important thing is to practice more and get the knowledge down.

Best of luck :h:
I haven't actually revised during this holiday. I was working to save up money for my resits

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ah I understand, well what topics would you say you have the most trouble with?

How many timed past papers did you do in preparation for your AS exams if you can remember, the best way to improve exam technique is to do practice exams
I did all past papers (2005 - present) + Churchill Papers for all units and didn't even get A*
Original post by SeanFM
This. Though it can be time consuming, it really helps. I did it for each of my modules. If it takes too long, do every other question, that should take you half the time :tongue:

For further maths I started to do this, but then it became every third question, then every fourth until I got to the point where id pick what looked to be the hardest two or three questions from each exercise and that's it :facepalm:

Spoiler

For further maths I started to do this, but then it became every third question, then every fourth until I got to the point where id pick what looked to be the hardest two or three questions from each exercise and that's it :facepalm:

Spoiler

It saves time I suppose :redface:

How many timed past papers did you do in preparation for your AS exams if you can remember, the best way to improve exam technique is to do practice exams

You're still awake O.o?
Original post by MathsAndCompSci
You're still awake O.o?

I'm sorry but am I missing a joke? did I post something to do with sleeping? :confused:

Spoiler

Original post by SeanFM
It saves time I suppose :redface:

PRSOM! That's one way to look at it :laugh:
Reply 14
Original post by SeanFM

A D in a mock exam... without seeing the actual paper it's hard to say, but I would say that some exam technique and some knowledge is there, but the important thing is to practice more and get the knowledge down.

Best of luck :h:

Thank you. What text book would you recommend

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 15

I actually did only 2 or 3 exams in a timed condition. I'm not really sure when exactly to start doing the exams in a timed condition

Posted from TSR Mobile
I actually did only 2 or 3 exams in a timed condition. I'm not really sure when exactly to start doing the exams in a timed condition

Posted from TSR Mobile

That could be the problem, I try do all my past papers timed, however at the start (around march time) I'm a little more lenient ie maybe I'll give myself 1 hour 40 mins if I want it. I personally don't see how benefit in doing an exam over a whole day because you may as well be doing questions from the mixed exercises in the textbook.

Doing the exam timed helps you cope with time and not be stressed when under time.

This may seem weird but sometimes when I'm doing past papers (usually closer to the actual exam) I try to mimic the actual exam situation, so by this I mean I'll go in and set the exam paper in the study room, then leave the room and bring my schoolbag outside the study and get my pencil case out and lift out my supplies for the exam (honestly doing this makes me really picture being outside the exam hall and makes me get a little nervous) then I go in and do the exam timed with an alarm set on my phone for 1.5 hours. After a few papers I don't get as nervous and so on the actual day Im not that nervous and it really helps with the exam, especially the first 10-15mins :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile

You need to be doing a timed paper on a regular basis for all the modules you've completed - at least one or two every week. Plan out a schedule for the remaining time so you cover all the modules.

Do you mind posting your UMS for each AS paper - PM me if you prefer - I'm sorry your teacher is being so negative as I see my role as being supportive when people want to improve :smile:

Maths is very much about confidence and you need to go into that exam knowing you have covered and understood the syllabus. They'll usually be at least one tricky question and you need to be prepared to move on and come back to it.

We are here to help you - you can do it!!
Reply 18
That could be the problem, I try do all my past papers timed, however at the start (around march time) I'm a little more lenient ie maybe I'll give myself 1 hour 40 mins if I want it. I personally don't see how benefit in doing an exam over a whole day because you may as well be doing questions from the mixed exercises in the textbook.

Doing the exam timed helps you cope with time and not be stressed when under time.

This may seem weird but sometimes when I'm doing past papers (usually closer to the actual exam) I try to mimic the actual exam situation, so by this I mean I'll go in and set the exam paper in the study room, then leave the room and bring my schoolbag outside the study and get my pencil case out and lift out my supplies for the exam (honestly doing this makes me really picture being outside the exam hall and makes me get a little nervous) then I go in and do the exam timed with an alarm set on my phone for 1.5 hours. After a few papers I don't get as nervous and so on the actual day Im not that nervous and it really helps with the exam, especially the first 10-15mins :biggrin:

That's a nice technique. But my question is, like when you do the past papers in a timed condition, have you done the questions before or its your first time for you to see them?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 19
Original post by Muttley79
You need to be doing a timed paper on a regular basis for all the modules you've completed - at least one or two every week. Plan out a schedule for the remaining time so you cover all the modules.

Do you mind posting your UMS for each AS paper - PM me if you prefer - I'm sorry your teacher is being so negative as I see my role as being supportive when people want to improve :smile:

Maths is very much about confidence and you need to go into that exam knowing you have covered and understood the syllabus. They'll usually be at least one tricky question and you need to be prepared to move on and come back to it.

We are here to help you - you can do it!!

Thank you so much. Let me PM you

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest