The Student Room Group

Struggling midwifery student

Hiya guys,
I am a second year midwifery student and I have recently been in my first placement of the year but I just don’t think I am progressing the way I want. I had such a horrible time last year placement which had really destroyed my confidence and love for placement. It just feels like everyone understands everything whilst I don’t and I just don’t want to feel like that anymore.
How can I improve I tried pretty much everything 😔
Original post by Gojo Satoru
Hiya guys,
I am a second year midwifery student and I have recently been in my first placement of the year but I just don’t think I am progressing the way I want. I had such a horrible time last year placement which had really destroyed my confidence and love for placement. It just feels like everyone understands everything whilst I don’t and I just don’t want to feel like that anymore.
How can I improve I tried pretty much everything 😔

I would definitely advise you to go and discuss your concerns with your university course leader and also perhaps your placement officer.

Yeah unfortunately there's very very good placements and also you'll have the odd horrible one which is just part of your journey in becoming a midwife.

Don't let anything or anyone destroy your confidence ok . With the help and support from the university you'll probably make a fantastic midwife but you need to talk to them about things.

A NHS Scotland registered midwife and mentor/supervisor to student midwives.
I sit down with my students at beginning of each week and then at the end of the weekly shifts and discuss anything that worrying them so that we can sort it out for the following week shift. Obviously in better we talk about the coursework and what to do.
I had a student midwife similar to you and after a good talking to she suddenly improved and she qualified last year.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending