The Student Room Group
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes

20 hours!?

I work 40 hours per week. My job is stressful, but my commute is fairly short. I thought about applying for the English Language and Literature BA Hons course and doing it part time (60 credits per year), but was very surprised to hear from one of the chat help workers that you still need to put aside 20 hours per week! I just don't see how I could manage that. Do you really need to put aside that many hours? I did English at A-Level and enjoyed it. I am a pretty speedy reader and writer.
Perhaps @Snufkin can shed some light.
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes
Original post by Kitkatsplat
I work 40 hours per week. My job is stressful, but my commute is fairly short. I thought about applying for the English Language and Literature BA Hons course and doing it part time (60 credits per year), but was very surprised to hear from one of the chat help workers that you still need to put aside 20 hours per week! I just don't see how I could manage that. Do you really need to put aside that many hours? I did English at A-Level and enjoyed it. I am a pretty speedy reader and writer.

It all depends on how you work. I did 120 level 1 credits (the first third of an English degree) in a year and I averaged maybe 3 hours a week, but I didn't bother to do any of the optional study activities or read chapters which weren't relevant to the exam. I don't know about levels 2 and 3, but certainly at level 1 you do not need to spend anywhere near 20 hours a week studying.
Original post by Kitkatsplat

They do estimate that for 30 credit module the average time needed a week is 9-10hrs so for a 60 credit I can see where the 20hr figure comes from. However some people take a lot a less and some people a lot more (it is only an average after all). Level one modules usually take less time than level 2 & 3 which are more in depth and labour intensive, especially if it is a new subject and you have less experience. In an ideal world we could all put aside 20hrs each and every week but you'll find a lot of students may blast through a lot one week and do less the following week.
If you can get a (2nd hand) copy of the texts in advance that can cut time down if you can get a bit ahead and if anyone (could maybe try the OU faculty forums) has a study planner from a previous year you can see what pace (i.e. how many units/chapters/tmas there are month to give you a better idea.
Reply 4
Original post by Snufkin
It all depends on how you work. I did 120 level 1 credits (the first third of an English degree) in a year and I averaged maybe 3 hours a week, but I didn't bother to do any of the optional study activities or read chapters which weren't relevant to the exam. I don't know about levels 2 and 3, but certainly at level 1 you do not need to spend anywhere near 20 hours a week studying.

A big assumption which does not address different learning rates, learning difficulties and retaining of information. My course which is different and at a different university has a friend of mine spend 2 hours a day while I need to spend 6 hours a day to get the same result. It all has to be scaled.
Original post by The meal
A big assumption which does not address different learning rates, learning difficulties and retaining of information. My course which is different and at a different university has a friend of mine spend 2 hours a day while I need to spend 6 hours a day to get the same result. It all has to be scaled.

You don't have any experience of the OU or the modules the OP would do, so you really have no idea what you're talking about.
Original post by Snufkin
You don't have any experience of the OU or the modules the OP would do, so you really have no idea what you're talking about.

That is true, but I still think the point is valid.

Just because you managed on 3hrs a week doesn't necessarily mean the OP will. Like I said in a previous post the best thing for the OP to do will try get hold of unit materials, the study planner and more opinions from others on the same modules to get a rounded view. Level One is usually by far the easiest to get away with doing very little (as it builds from no assumed knowledge for those missing GCSEs & A levels etc..) but it's not as easy when the levels go up especially when those modules are worth more and used in classification, skipping many activities & chapters isn't a wise thing to do.

I've been with the OU for a fair few years now and on degree #2 with them even though I haven't really done any arts & humanities there is a lot in common study wise. :smile:

OP you could always start off with one 30 credit module (unless they are these new fangled 60pointers) and see how you find it then the next presentation time double it to 60. Or even if you start 2 modules and can't hack it you could defer a module and take it the next year. There are options. :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
You'll find that when you have assignments, you'll need more hours. I seem to remember there's a study planner type thing telling you what you need to learn in what week. It tells you there roughly how many hours you may need to spend doing work on which week.

But yeah - it depends largely on you. I sometimes spent more hours some weeks due to assignments, not fully understanding the work, etc.
Original post by laalNick
That is true, but I still think the point is valid.

Just because you managed on 3hrs a week doesn't necessarily mean the OP will. Like I said in a previous post the best thing for the OP to do will try get hold of unit materials, the study planner and more opinions from others on the same modules to get a rounded view. Level One is usually bar far the easiest to get away with doing very little (as it builds from no assumed knowledge for those missing GCSEs & A levels etc..) but it's not as easy when the levels go up especially when those modules are worth more and used in classification, skipping many activities & chapters isn't a wise thing to do.

I've been with the OU for a fair few years now and on degree #2 with them even though I haven't really done any arts & humanities there is a lot in common study wise. :smile:

OP you could always start off with one 30 credit module (unless they are these new fangled 60pointers) and see how you find it then the next presentation time double it to 60. Or even if you start 2 modules and can't hack it you could defer a module and take it the next year. There are options. :smile:

Indeed, but I don't remember anyone on the Facebook groups spending anywhere near 20 hours studying either. This you understand was discussed quite a lot. I have no doubt that you need to spend longer studying once you start level 2/3 modules, but 20 hours a week for AA100 is ridiculous!
Original post by Snufkin
Indeed, but I don't remember anyone on the Facebook groups spending anywhere near 20 hours studying either. This you understand was discussed quite a lot. I have no doubt that you need to spend longer studying once you start level 2/3 modules, but 20 hours a week for AA100 is ridiculous!

True I have no experience of AA100. However people on phones probably just quoting the guide/average of 9-10hrs for 30 credit modules still regardless of which module it is.

Better to overestimate than underestimate the time required though!

Darn you S377!!!!!
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest