The Student Room Group

Job interview as uni student!!!!!!!!

Hello everyone!

I applied for Currys pc world 6 days ago, after 2 days, I got a message on the website saying that I've gone through a "telephone interview". I still haven't got a phone call yet, but I wanted to ask that what kind of questions do they ask within the phone interview?

Second question was that i'm going to be a university student starting on the 20th of September studying computer science meaning that my schedule will be quite filled up.

Monday's I'm in uni till 11am, Tuesdays I finish at 4pm, Wednesday I finish at 1pm, Thursday Friday im
busy practically all day, and obviously I've got Saturday Sunday off.

I'm looking to do 20 hours per week, and I want this job very very bad. But I'm not sure what days I should work, and don't know how I would fit my studying time in. I'm not even sure how I'll be able to explain this to the hiring manager without getting rejected in the telephone interview.

What should I do in this situation?
Reply 1
Not sure what they will ask, it depends on the role, but I would have though someone studying computer science would be of good interest. It might well be the usual talk thought your cv and customer service style of questions, ‘tell me about a time when you provided good service, can you give me an example when you dealt with a difficult person’

You’re right availability and flexibility are likely to be key selection attributes. I would be very clear on what you ARE available to do. Weekends and bank holidays will be the most difficult spots to fill so you have something to offer. Think what you will say about the uni holidays too. One final though, is 20 hours per week too much to commit to, it seems like quite a lot on top of full time study. Good luck
(edited 7 months ago)
Reply 2
Thank you for your reply! You are right. 20 hours does seem too much. How much do you think I should go for? Because to be honest, I need a job, but I also need to balance out with the studies. Do you think 15 hours is enough? Do you think I should tell them that I'm willing to do 15 hours, but can do extra shifts?
Reply 3
Original post by B00ts&C4ts
Thank you for your reply! You are right. 20 hours does seem too much. How much do you think I should go for? Because to be honest, I need a job, but I also need to balance out with the studies. Do you think 15 hours is enough? Do you think I should tell them that I'm willing to do 15 hours, but can do extra shifts?

Original post by Zarek
Not sure what they will ask, it depends on the role, but I would have though someone studying computer science would be of good interest. It might well be the usual talk thought your cv and customer service style of questions, ‘tell me about a time when you provided good service, can you give me an example when you dealt with a difficult person’

You’re right availability and flexibility are likely to be key selection attributes. I would be very clear on what you ARE available to do. Weekends and bank holidays will be the most difficult spots to fill so you have something to offer. Think what you will say about the uni holidays too. One final though, is 20 hours per week too much to commit to, it seems like quite a lot on top of full time study. Good luck

i would first set study time in the schedule, then use the leftover time for work. i would tell the hiring manager my availability and not fear rejection because it is the current reality and there's nothing i can do to change the university schedule.

i hope they give you the job :smile:
Reply 5

It depends how there shift patterns work and what they are looking for, evenings, half days, whole days. Did the job add give any indication. I would have thought 15 hours with extras is a very reasonable proposition
Reply 6
Original post by Zarek
It depends how there shift patterns work and what they are looking for, evenings, half days, whole days. Did the job add give any indication. I would have thought 15 hours with extras is a very reasonable proposition

Not really, no. I didn't get any indication. I just applied online through the 'curryscareers.co.uk' website and still awaiting for the call to come through. So would it be a good idea telling them that i'll be able to work 15 hours, with with extra shifts. and also the fact that i'll be able to work many more hours on holidays?

Is it normal to work 15 hours? because I want to be in a place where I'm not within the disadvantage.
Reply 7
Not really, no. I didn't get any indication. I just applied online through the 'curryscareers.co.uk' website and still awaiting for the call to come through. So would it be a good idea telling them that i'll be able to work 15 hours, with with extra shifts. and also the fact that i'll be able to work many more hours on holidays?

Is it normal to work 15 hours? because I want to be in a place where I'm not within the disadvantage.

If they are recruiting for part time roles and taking students then I’d be confident that 15 hours plus some extra would be of interest. Half of an interview is also the candidate finding out if the role offers them what they are after so don’t worry. I would be inclined to tell them the days and times you’re free, that you are looking for 10-15 hours a week and are flexible to do a bit extra when needed. 15 hours a week is still quite a lot, two whole working days a week. I worked about 6-8 hours a week in the SU bar in the evenings and it was about right for me. Hope you get what you want

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending