The Student Room Group

Civil Rights Movement Controlled Assessment HELP!!!

I am doing a Controlled assessment on the Civil Rights movement. My question is: How much impact did Black Power have on the Civil rights protest movement in the USA?

As well as writing about the Black Power movement, I have to talk about other factors. Do you have any advice on how to structure my answer or any good sources to use. I am seriously freaking out!
Reply 1
Discuss the Black Panthers (they are the main organisation in Black Power) explain their poor leadership, organisational skills and official persecutions etc (many leaders were former drug dealers)
The Black Panthers were successful however as they were a symbolic organisation, they offered education, healthcare clinics, pig patrols etc

Discuss Malcom X and his contributions, criticise his black supremacy and how it alienated many white US citizens from the civil rights movement. But then explain how he reformed after going on his pilgrimage (shows good subject knowledge).

Then discuss other factors other than Black Power that made an impact on the civil rights movement and then evaluate them.

I had a 58% attendance rating to my History lessons and got 92% in my US History exam, trust me on this
Reply 2
Just some statistics to help you out, the black panthers had set up over 200 health clinics which had treated 200,000 people a year by 1974 through their "survival programs",

STRENGTH - gave free healthcare especially during a sickle cell epidemic

they offered free libertarian schools to young african american children

STRENGTH - Young generation of AAs were able to identify with their culture and ethnicity
WEAKNESS - Induced further segregation in education
Reply 3
Make sure to plan your line of argument, are you arguing in favour or out of favour with the Black Power movement (I would say the former is easier to argue).
Offer both sides of the argument for each paragraph but your last sentence of each paragraph should underline why it supports your argument.
Conclude at the end :smile:

EDIT - and always remain sceptical, never completely agree with the Black Power movement or completely disagree, casual example (I cba to write in an academical style) "The black power movement was very good but I suppose there were a few flaws such as a,b,c"
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 4
I hope this helped

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending