The Student Room Group
Students outside, University of Hertfordshire
University of Hertfordshire
Hatfield
Visit website

What is it really like living on campus at Hertfordshire uni?

I've been offered a place for 2016 at University of Hertfordshire and am really looking forward to it, but I wondered if anyone can give me the low down on what it's really like living there?

I've heard the nightlife isn't great in the area, and shops are quite far away to do food shops, so I'm slightly worried...any advice or insider knowledge??

Thanks!
Reply 1
Original post by jemima31
I've been offered a place for 2016 at University of Hertfordshire and am really looking forward to it, but I wondered if anyone can give me the low down on what it's really like living there?

I've heard the nightlife isn't great in the area, and shops are quite far away to do food shops, so I'm slightly worried...any advice or insider knowledge??

Thanks!

I've been offered a place for 2016 too! don't know when to start applying for accommodation... have you tried applying yet?
Students outside, University of Hertfordshire
University of Hertfordshire
Hatfield
Visit website
Reply 2
I have been offered a place too, I think we can apply for accommodation as soon as we select are choices from are offers, also I know that a shopping center called the galleria is really close by.

Thanks!

The nightlife depends on what campus you are on / which flat you are in. In my experience the flat parties aren't all they are made out to be and sometimes the flat can be dead. There is The Forum and Club de Hav if you're into clubbing, they can be good on certain nights (aka cheeky wednesdays), other times not so good. You could also take the bus to Oceana in Watford, if you're willing to go that far.

As for shops, the Galleria doesn't have that much choice of shops, it does have some nice restaurants for nights out with your friends though. Aldi is about a 10 minute walk from de hav campus and Asda is about a 25 minute walk. You could take the bus to Asda, it's £1 for students. There is a SU shop on campus, which sells snacks and necessities such as milk and eggs - it isn't enough to survive just on that though.

If you have any other questions just ask! :h:
Reply 4

Thanks!

I've lived in Hatfield my entire life, coming up to 20 years - so I feel like a bit of an expert on the subject. I'll be honest it is a bit ****, but it's not all ****. There are certain parts that are tired and are in need of modernisation but there are plenty of good things to do too.

Night life in the area is relativity good with a fair few pubs in the area of the university, pubs like The Harrier, Cavendish Arms, The Town Inn are mainly used by locals however the new Wetherspoons called Harpsfield Hall is always full of students, cheap booze, cheap food and free wifi makes sense. There are also 24 hour gyms, a big Odeon cinema in the Galleria shopping centre (which I recommend going to during freshers cause you can pick up so much free crap), internet cafes (although they're a bit ropey) and a snooker/pool club.

Forum and EleHouse the universities student union and club are good for a cheap night out with vodka and mixer for £2-£2.50 and entry £7 before 11pm (varies on what event is on and what offers they give to students). There is also Batchwood in St Albans (20 minute cab) and Oceana in Watford (30 minute cab) however these are more expensive than forum and aren't that much better. There are also the options of going to the bigger clubs in London, you can very easily get down to nightclubs like Egg in Kings Cross quickly from Hatfield (20 minute fast train to Kings Cross) but the prices will start to increase.

Food shopping you have a big Asda in the town centre, a Tesco on the other side of Hatfield but still accessible by bus/car, an Aldi near the Wetherspoons, an Iceland in the town centre next to the Asda, and two Co-ops, one of which is 5/10 minute walk from College Lane campus and then various little corner shops. There are also a few high street stores in the town centre but nothing fancy, off the top of my head there is a Boots and New Look.

Bit of a rambling post, but if you have any specific questions just shoot me a message!
Reply 5
HI there,
Is there a car space available for a student on College Lane campus? Many thanks
Original post by Aurorita
HI there,
Is there a car space available for a student on College Lane campus? Many thanks

You can use the park and ride service, if you are living in college lane halls you can get a residential parking permit, or use the mutil-story car park for the forum which is pay and display . the park and ride is much cheaper at only 50p, and a shuttle runs between the park and ride and both campus'
Reply 7
Hmm.. do you know how much is the residential permit pe academic year? I discovered that if I commute to my part-time work it would be very difficult to use public transport. I want to live in the halls though :wink: thanks
Hmm.. do you know how much is the residential permit pe academic year? I discovered that if I commute to my part-time work it would be very difficult to use public transport. I want to live in the halls though :wink: thanks

for 2015/2016 (So this academic year currently) it's £145 , that might change for 2016/2017 but i don't think it would increase by much . I know they sell out fast though, once they're gone they're gone
well, all I can say is during the freshers week don't expect to get much sleep
Reply 10
Hi,
Is there only one option for Telford Court i.e. Single room? And is the bathroom always shared with several people? Is it noisy? What is the name of new development they said to finish by now for the campus? Thanks.
Original post by lalalalalola

I like this comment.

But seriously, why will i not get much sleep?
Reply 12
Original post by lalalalalola

Last year we didn't get a Freshers week on the Animation course, we went straight into lectures on day one! We had no choice but to sleep...

KrisTH nailed the description of the nightlife - Hatfield is hardly a happening place, but it's not like there's nothing to do and it is getting more interesting.

As for actual accommodation, generally speaking the more expensive the accommodation, the more peaceful it is. I was in Bellingham last year and it was an easy life. There was never any shouting, big parties (aside from my flatmates' occasional pre-drinks), or loud music. It was nice, but hardly the "uni life" experience. Telford and the others were much more lively.

Best thing about my room (Bel 28/3) was the view. I could see for miles over the green of Hertfordshire, although it was spoiled a little more every day by the ever-growing new science building. :P
Reply 13
Hi there,
Can someone tell if there is a possibility of having a car while living at the campus as my part-time work would be in London? Many thanks
Hi there,
Can someone tell if there is a possibility of having a car while living at the campus as my part-time work would be in London? Many thanks

You can leave your car on College Lane Campus and take the Park and Ride Shuttle bus (which is 50p) to either campus.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending