The Student Room Group

How do you tell if someone is LOWER, MIDDLE or UPPER class?

The middle classes are often Labour luvvies

Lower classes watch the x factor

Scroll to see replies

and poor people vote UKIP
Reply 2
Original post by SonOfTheGun

You seem upset

I'm not poor and I vote UKIP?
Are you ok?
By studying and analysing their speech.
God I hate these types of threads. They are just a way of people taking the biscuit out of people less fortunate than themselves.
Original post by Savage R3N3GAD3
By studying and analysing their speech.

Doesn't really work. People can learn to adopt different accents as they progress in life. I started out working class and if you believe we die in the class we're born, I guess I still am. But my profession is middle class and I don't have a regional accent.
Original post by AllegedLegends
Doesn't really work. People can learn to adopt different accents as they progress in life. I started out working class and if you believe we die in the class we're born, I guess I still am. But my profession is middle class and I don't have a regional accent.

Speech is often the single most obvious and readily apparent indicator of class. No matter how hard some people might try to lose their native accents, they inevitably slip up and you can often detect a rare hint of their original accent. I can tell when someone is trying really hard to speak English properly despite not being from the south, I pay very close attention to their pronunciation, their choice of vocabulary, their grammar and sentence structure, and their overall attitude and the way they conduct themselves, including the topics they talk about and whether they abide by refined conversational etiquette.

Yes, you die in the class into which you were born. Class transitions occur very slowly over the course of several generations. Class transitions can never occur within one's own lifetime. Class has nothing to do with your profession :smile: your last sentence is invalid, because class isn't defined by your job.

It's not just about your accent. There's so much more to it than the way you pronounce words. As I've already outlined, I like to analyse various aspects of people's speech and overall behaviour, not just the accent.
You can't - the lower class lie in hiding until, one day, we shall rise and triumph. :colone:

Spoiler

Also, you Can't really tell class by speech, I'm pretty sure a strong Northern voice sounds more working class than a soft Southern voice.
Reply 10
im upper class but i dont act it unless acting upper class means being polite and having good manners lol
poor people vote labour
rich people vote tory
stupid people vote ukip
clever people vote lib dem
Ask them if they are lower class -

Lower Class people will be proud to tell you that they are lower class.
Middle Class people will reference their jobs.
Upper Class people will simply huff and not entertain your question.
Original post by balanced
I'm not poor and I vote UKIP?
Are you ok?

The really posh areas are consistently blue, UKIP only does well in depressed coastal ex-fishing villages and northern hell-holes where people have fears over mass migration.
The really posh areas are consistently blue, UKIP only does well in depressed coastal ex-fishing villages and northern hell-holes where people have fears over mass migration.

They got 120 second places, they are quite evenly spread.

It's important to realize that people in poor economic areas lean toward UKIP because they want someone to blame for the struggles they face in society and have been led to believe this blame falls on immigration.
(edited 8 years ago)
I consider upper class people to be the gentry, telling apart the other groups is harder but house size, speech, level of education of parents, annual income, and an individual's culture can be used to identify the class of a person.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by acupofgreentea
It's important to realize that people in poor economic areas lean toward UKIP because they want someone to blame for the struggles they face in society and have been led to believe this blame falls on immigration.

I agree with this.

Certainly in terms of jobs many poorer people think more immigrants = worse job prospects, this isn't necessarily true because immigrants who work also create more jobs and prosperity themselves.

There are however legitimate concerns regarded the crime and social issues which comes with mass migration, it's easy to be a smug middle class multiculturalist when your area only takes in Indian doctors and Wayne McChav's area takes in thousands of uneducated refugees.
Original post by Nigel Farage MEP
I consider upper class people to be the gentry,telling apart the other groups is harder but house size, speech, level of education of parents, annual income, and an individual's culture can be used to identify the class of a person.

Curious - how would you, personally, determine a person's class by their speech?
Original post by Savage R3N3GAD3
Speech is often the single most obvious and readily apparent indicator of class. No matter how hard some people might try to lose their native accents, they inevitably slip up and you can often detect a rare hint of their original accent. I can tell when someone is trying really hard to speak English properly despite not being from the south, I pay very close attention to their pronunciation, their choice of vocabulary, their grammar and sentence structure, and their overall attitude and the way they conduct themselves, including the topics they talk about and whether they abide by refined conversational etiquette.

Yes, you die in the class into which you were born. Class transitions occur very slowly over the course of several generations. Class transitions can never occur within one's own lifetime. Class has nothing to do with your profession :smile: your last sentence is invalid, because class isn't defined by your job.

It's not just about your accent. There's so much more to it than the way you pronounce words. As I've already outlined, I like to analyse various aspects of people's speech and overall behaviour, not just the accent.

Never read so much rubbish in my life. I'm from a poor background and rich people from Surrey (at university) didn't even realise, even one of my flatmates was from a rich family in Surrey and couldn't tell. And career doesn’t determine class? So fast food workers are upper class and lawyers are working class? Nah

Quick Reply

Latest