The Student Room Group

is hugging an indicator that they're dating?

I've been crushing on guy for a while and just recently I saw him hug this girl. I had seen them 2 together before but honestly I didn't think they could be more than friends they just didn't have a couples energy. Should I stop trying or can hugs just be 'friendly'?
Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous
I've been crushing on guy for a while and just recently I saw him hug this girl. I had seen them 2 together before but honestly I didn't think they could be more than friends they just didn't have a couples energy. Should I stop trying or can hugs just be 'friendly'?

Given the context, I don't think hugging someone means someone is dating. It could be a friendly hug. Anyway, if you want to see what's inside a pond, you would need to dive in it.

Depends... there's hugging and there's hugging.

What I'm getting at, is the way mates hug each other is different to how a couple would hug (or if one fancies the other person, and they're open to it). When platonic mates hug one another, you'll notice they tend to lean in towards each other so only their chests make contact and their lower torsos are separate (N.B. this is true for both guys and girls) . If arms go round the other person, it tends to be around the neck or the very upper part of the back. However, when it's a more intimate hug (either romantic or sexual), their lower torsos are more likely to be pressed together... arms much more likely to be in the middle or lower part of the back, or on their ass if it's sexual. More likely to look each other in the eyes, or sniff their hair as well.

Well you saw how he hugged her, so based on the above, I'm sure you can drawer your own conclusions.
Reply 3
Original post by Old Skool Freak
Depends... there's hugging and there's hugging.

What I'm getting at, is the way mates hug each other is different to how a couple would hug (or if one fancies the other person, and they're open to it). When platonic mates hug one another, you'll notice they tend to lean in towards each other so only their chests make contact and their lower torsos are separate (N.B. this is true for both guys and girls) . If arms go round the other person, it tends to be around the neck or the very upper part of the back. However, when it's a more intimate hug (either romantic or sexual), their lower torsos are more likely to be pressed together... arms much more likely to be in the middle or lower part of the back, or on their ass if it's sexual. More likely to look each other in the eyes, or sniff their hair as well.

Well you saw how he hugged her, so based on the above, I'm sure you can drawer your own conclusions.

Honestly I was to stunned by the fact that he might be taken to pay attention to how they were hugging all I saw was a hug 😅
Reply 4
Original post by Meheraj
Given the context, I don't think hugging someone means someone is dating. It could be a friendly hug. Anyway, if you want to see what's inside a pond, you would need to dive in it.

Guess its time to find his insta and stalk it
Reply 5

Weird think to do, sounds like you just haven't told him how you feel
Reply 6

Haha.... Yeah, you can if you prefer. 😁
Reply 7
Hugging definitely does NOT mean that you're dating...
Reply 8
Hugging is affection rather than sexual, so it can be quite ambiguous
Reply 9

Are there any other signs of them being together?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending