The Student Room Group

An inspector calls lighting effect

hey, im doing my literature 1 for AQA tomorrow... I'm doing OMAM and AIC...I was wondering what the lighting at the start of the play could suggest..."The lighting should be pink and intimate until the INSPECTOR arrives and then it should be brighter and harder." My teacher has gone through it but I don't remember...and if you have any tips please share :smile: And could someone give me a random valid structure comment on AIC just as an example thanks....
At the start of the play the lighting should be brighter and more cheerful, to represent a happy and united family looking forward to their future achievements together.

Upon the inspectors arrival the lighting changes, this resembles a change in mood, things are not quite as they seem and we know that something is about to happen and not for the good.
Reply 2
"pink" could be a reference to the idiom, through rose coloured glasses, therefore suggesting how the audience sees the Birlings at the beginning of the play is and overly positive and not quite realistic view of their family.
Brighter=harsh reality blah blah
Reply 4
yo kids
i also have a question regarding this: if the inspector is a figure of reality and informs the Birling family of the real society, how does the pink lighting shine harder and brighter. why is the rose coloured glasses theme emphasized?
Because even if he is a figment of their imagination, he is still making them see the real side of each other and is making them let go of the superiority the older generation think they hold and see that they are really just equal to each everyone else
Reply 7
It shows the divide in classes by Sheila being upper-middle class and doesn't have to deal with any conflict from living in lower class Edwardian society, but also suffers no criticism for being an elitist, consequently she is protected by a rose tinted bubble.
Reply 8
pink and intimate shows optimism and gives an unrealistic view of the Birlings and once the inspector arrives, it is brighter and harder and light has connotations of truth so the inspector is exposing the mistakes they have made and their abuse of power. welcome mate
Reply 9
it suggests a mood change. like everyone has gone from being happy and loud too quiet and cautious. also what page is that on in the book?
Original post by lanzonthemoon
it suggests a mood change. like everyone has gone from being happy and loud too quiet and cautious. also what page is that on in the book?

It’s before the play actually starts, in the introduction/setting the scene bit I think :smile:
Reply 12
'Pink and intimate suggests the idiom of 'rose-tinted glasses' as if the Birlings' have been looking in this light, seeing things from an unrealistic, optimistic, point of view, suggesting a certain amount of ignorance, which later emphasised through Mr Birling's speech. As the inspector walks in, the mood changes, aided by the light becoming 'brighter and harsher', this creates a sudden spike in tension, like The Inspector has come in, shining a torch on all the things this family is ignoring, it could also reflect the intimidating lighting you would find in a police interrogation room, foreshadowing the future grilling the entire family will be subjected to.
Original post by Imi_sole
"pink" could be a reference to the idiom, through rose coloured glasses, therefore suggesting how the audience sees the Birlings at the beginning of the play is and overly positive and not quite realistic view of their family.

I just shared this with my literature teacher and he said it was a very good point. Will be using it for my exams
Reply 14
Original post by walnut777
i also have a question regarding this: if the inspector is a figure of reality and informs the Birling family of the real society, how does the pink lighting shine harder and brighter. why is the rose coloured glasses theme emphasized?

pink lighting could represent the ignorance of bourgeoisie capitalists thus the play opens up with us viewing the world how we see it. when light becomes brighter and harder it could mean the rose tint they were living by is shattered now that the harsh cold reality has been brought to light.

as well as this, the rose-tinted glasses shows how much the upper class were pampered and the massive differences in classes, which is revealed upon the inspector's arrival and through the rest of the play.

Summary->it is empathized to show to the audience how society used to be, to perhaps serve as a reminder to 1945 generation not to let history repeat itself
Original post by walnut777

The lighting in the play was symbolic of the Birling family's perspective towards life. Initially, the lighting had a pink and intimate hue, which represents the saying 'looking through life with rose-coloured glasses'. This suggests that the Birling family was blissfully ignorant of their ill-treatment of the lower classes. When the inspector arrives, the lighting becomes brighter and harder, exposing the family's true selves. This is similar to how the inspector exposes their past actions. family.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending