The Student Room Group

Edexcel History AS and A2- question about module combinations?

Last year for AS I did Unit 1 (option E) and Unit 2 Britain- Representation and Reform (option B). Unit 1 went fine but I did awful in Unit 2 because I absolutely hated it and found it so difficult to remember facts.. it was so boring, it was basically memorizing laws that were passed in the 1800s..

Anyways, this year I am doing the Unit 3 paper on Germany, and the coursework on the Empire in India 1857-1945 (which I find really interesting). Is it possible for me to resit AS Unit 2 on India 1900-1945 (option D), since this is basically what I am doing in A2? I looked at some past papers and I think I would be able to answer the questions quite well, especially since it's a sources paper. Plus, I wouldn't have to revise for a topic that I haven't looked at since May and didn't even like in the first place.

Could I do this or would I have to resit the same option that I did last year? Also would there be a restriction on me doing that, since I would be doing two units on similar topics-- although one is coursework and one is a sources exam?
The exam board says:

A centre wishing to extend the coverage of the topics thatstudents have studied in Unit 1 or 2 may do so, providing theperiod is extended so that new content defined by the four bulletpoints represents the study of at least an additional 100 years. Forexample, an exploration of challenges to authority in Britain 1789-1992 could wrap around Unit 2, Option B2: Britain 1830-1884:Representation and Reform (see CW27). Although the Part B taskwill examine the process of change over the whole extended period,the Part A task (ie depth study) must not focus on the contentstudied at Advanced Subsidiary level.

I take that to mean that you technically could (although I'm not actually sure on what the rules are about resitting a different option) but you would have to extend your coursework time period and not write about anything in the 1900-1945 period in it. In my opinion, it's probably much easier to just resit the Unit 2 you did last year, sorry!
Reply 2
Thanks! I think I'll do that :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending