The Student Room Group

Recommended Reading for Material Science/Engineering courses

Hi, I'm thinking about applying for material sciences at uni (2017 entry) and I would like to know what kind of books would be good to read that relates to it.
I found these on oxford's website:

Newer books:
Stuff Matters: The Strange Stories of the Marvellous Materials that Shape Our Man-made World, M. Miodownik, Viking (2013)

The New Science of Strong Materials or Why You Don’t Fall Through the Floor, J.E. Gordon, Princeton University Press, Revised Edition (2008)

Bright Earth: The Invention of Colour, P. Ball, Vintage Books (2008)

Made to Measure: New Materials for the 21st Century, P. Ball, Princeton University Press (1999)

Where Stuff Comes From, H. Molotch, Routledge (2005)

The Material World, R. Cotterill, Cambridge University Press (2008)

Materials for Engineering, J.W. Martin, Woodhead Publishing Ltd., (2006)

Older books
(The examples in these books are not recent but the books still give a sense of certain key aspects of Materials Science)

Stuff: the materials the world is made of, I Amato, Harper (1998)

Tomorrow's Materials, K.E. Easterling, Institute of Materials (1990) Available from: Institute of Materials, 1 Carlton House Terrace, London SW1Y 5DB.

Materials & their Uses, W. Bolton, Butterworth-Heinemann (1996) (covers Materials modules for A-level Physics and A-level Design & Technology)

But if anyone else would like to recommend something or could tell me which ones would be absolutely fundamental that would be great!

Quick Reply

Latest