The Student Room Group

Foundation Year - How hard to get 60%?

Hello, so I have not done a level maths or physics but for Gcse achieved 7,8.
I’m thinking of doing Electronic and Computer engineering Foundation year, with plans on switching to Computer science after year 1, at same uni. However for this I need 60% on/across ALL modules to even be considered. For someone with no a level math experience , is this doable? Yes I am willing to put in so much effort! My other option is go into y1 compsci at a much lower ranked uni but I rather look ahead for my future employability! Please advice thank you 😁
Original post by MoneyMase2020
Hello, so I have not done a level maths or physics but for Gcse achieved 7,8.
I’m thinking of doing Electronic and Computer engineering Foundation year, with plans on switching to Computer science after year 1, at same uni. However for this I need 60% on/across ALL modules to even be considered. For someone with no a level math experience , is this doable? Yes I am willing to put in so much effort! My other option is go into y1 compsci at a much lower ranked uni but I rather look ahead for my future employability! Please advice thank you 😁

As someone who did maths modules at degree level and achieved similar grades at GCSE, you would need to work hard to get 60% if you're not a gifted mathematician. We're talking about 40+ hours a week working on problems in your spare time.
Having said that, the foundation year maths tend to be a lot more specific and doesn't require the same material as you would cover in the full Maths A Level.

Take the following degree as an example: https://www.kent.ac.uk/courses/undergraduate/4426 (lol if this is the actual degree you're thinking of doing)
You would be covering introductory calculus, graphs, geometry, trigonometry, vectors, and GCSE level maths (HCF/LCM).
You won't be required to really stretch your mathematical problem solving skills (as they do in A Level Maths) as much as knowing how to apply the maths knowledge and using what you know (please feel free to correct me is this is incorrect). Having said that, it doesn't mean it would be easy.

The tips I would recommend include:

Go through the recommended reading in the units and really go through all of the question papers

If you don't understand the material, go and find more introductory maths textbooks and take notes and work through the material - there are usually plenty in the uni library

If you want extra resources, consider looking at your weak areas and look up texts like Schuam's Outlines series - these are usually cheaper than a university textbook

Spend at least 8 hours a day in the library; if you're spending most of your time doing anything else at university or spend significantly less time, then you might struggle

Maths isn't usually a subject where you can just get it just by reading about it. It's a problem solving subject and you can only truly understand it if you use/practice it often through applying the knowledge to problems.

The more pressing thing that I suspect you would have issues with should you not have done Computer Science at A Level or are not a pro at programming would be the programming skills unit. These tend to be marked differently to the other modules.

So in sum, yes it's doable but you're going to have to work a lot harder than you would otherwise would.
Original post by MindMax2000
As someone who did maths modules at degree level and achieved similar grades at GCSE, you would need to work hard to get 60% if you're not a gifted mathematician. We're talking about 40+ hours a week working on problems in your spare time.
Having said that, the foundation year maths tend to be a lot more specific and doesn't require the same material as you would cover in the full Maths A Level.

Take the following degree as an example: https://www.kent.ac.uk/courses/undergraduate/4426 (lol if this is the actual degree you're thinking of doing)
You would be covering introductory calculus, graphs, geometry, trigonometry, vectors, and GCSE level maths (HCF/LCM).
You won't be required to really stretch your mathematical problem solving skills (as they do in A Level Maths) as much as knowing how to apply the maths knowledge and using what you know (please feel free to correct me is this is incorrect). Having said that, it doesn't mean it would be easy.

That is literally the course I have applied for 😂! I was told if I get 60% in all modules I can transfer to Computer science. They recommended me this course after I applied CS initially but the grades didn’t go to plan. I am not “gifted” but with maths I don’t tend to struggle as much once I put in the effort, and have the initial understanding. So would you say 60% is achievable ? Ofc if I was to struggle w a module I would put in MUCH more hours, I am not going to waste this year as it’s 9k + my last resort.
I’ll make a solid revision timetable and plan and keep consistent. I was just worried my no maths background will completely set me up for failure. Should I take the offer ?
Original post by MoneyMase2020
That is literally the course I have applied for 😂! I was told if I get 60% in all modules I can transfer to Computer science. They recommended me this course after I applied CS initially but the grades didn’t go to plan. I am not “gifted” but with maths I don’t tend to struggle as much once I put in the effort, and have the initial understanding. So would you say 60% is achievable ? Ofc if I was to struggle w a module I would put in MUCH more hours, I am not going to waste this year as it’s 9k + my last resort.
I’ll make a solid revision timetable and plan and keep consistent. I was just worried my no maths background will completely set me up for failure. Should I take the offer ?

That is literally the course I have applied for 😂!
It happens when you specify your course title as specifically as you did.

I am not “gifted” but with maths I don’t tend to struggle as much once I put in the effort, and have the initial understanding. So would you say 60% is achievable?
Yes, but it requires effort. If you don't understand something, you would need to go the extra mile and ask your lecturer during office hours (many students don't use these hours) or go through the easier textbooks with the same material. Don't leave it to the last minute; it would compound and it would make catching up a lot more difficult.

I was just worried my no maths background will completely set me up for failure. Should I take the offer ?
Not having a background is not a detriment, but it will mean you would have go to the extra mile (plenty of people have done the same).
Whether you take the offer or not is a personal choice. I can't decide for you. However, if you are hesitant about the offer because you don't have the maths background, then I would say you would be fine if you put in the work.
Original post by MindMax2000
That is literally the course I have applied for 😂!
It happens when you specify your course title as specifically as you did.

I am not “gifted” but with maths I don’t tend to struggle as much once I put in the effort, and have the initial understanding. So would you say 60% is achievable?
Yes, but it requires effort. If you don't understand something, you would need to go the extra mile and ask your lecturer during office hours (many students don't use these hours) or go through the easier textbooks with the same material. Don't leave it to the last minute; it would compound and it would make catching up a lot more difficult.

I was just worried my no maths background will completely set me up for failure. Should I take the offer ?
Not having a background is not a detriment, but it will mean you would have go to the extra mile (plenty of people have done the same).
Whether you take the offer or not is a personal choice. I can't decide for you. However, if you are hesitant about the offer because you don't have the maths background, then I would say you would be fine if you put in the work.

Thanks for such helpful response :smile: , I’m feeling confident , I will deffo listen to your advice and ask teachers during office hours whenever I am confused and go the extra mile learning through yt etc. And yes I won’t be leaving anything last min (hopefully) since I really need to pass w 60% to do the course I want to and that dosent seem easy!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending