The Student Room Group

CHOICES...

I would like to do Law and want to apply to 'top' units (e.g Durham, Oxford, Warwick), however I am concerned that my A-Level choices contain just one facilitating subject:

History (Pre-U)
Economics (Pre-U)
Politics
English Language

The only subject that I would also consider is Biology, so would it be best to swap it (for english language) in order to look 'better' or are the four I have chosen still well respected enough to not be at any disadvantage?

Is it worth contacting unis/RG to see what they think??
Reply 1
Most universities don't seem to have specific subject requirements for Law, so your subjects are fine. I don't think biology would offer an advantage over english language, but if you were considering any other subjects, you could potentially swap one for maths, or do a language as some courses offer a year abroad. This would also keep your options more open to other courses if you change your mind. However your chosen subjects, while not facilitating, are still probably good preparation for law.

If you do want to contact a uni, it is worth it; I used a contact form on Oxford University's website and they got back quickly. Most universities are happy to help.
Original post by Lelanor
Most universities don't seem to have specific subject requirements for Law, so your subjects are fine. I don't think biology would offer an advantage over english language, but if you were considering any other subjects, you could potentially swap one for maths, or do a language as some courses offer a year abroad. This would also keep your options more open to other courses if you change your mind. However your chosen subjects, while not facilitating, are still probably good preparation for law.

If you do want to contact a uni, it is worth it; I used a contact form on Oxford University's website and they got back quickly. Most universities are happy to help.

Ok thank you

Posted from TSR Mobile
hey :smile: I've firmed durham for law! my subjects are history, english literature and psychology and i did religious studies last year! so basically 2/3 are considered facilitating which is what durham say that they look for, I'm afraid i don't know about the others but doubt oxford would be any less strict! have you made your final decision now?
Original post by ellawhite4686
hey :smile: I've firmed durham for law! my subjects are history, english literature and psychology and i did religious studies last year! so basically 2/3 are considered facilitating which is what durham say that they look for, I'm afraid i don't know about the others but doubt oxford would be any less strict! have you made your final decision now?

Hi! I made my choice of history, english literature, politics and biology. However, at the time I had to choose I was doing very well in english given that we were doing prose analysis and I forgot that I am only what I would class as 'good enough to choose for A-level' for prose, not for drama or poetry. Therefore, I am going to ask to change english literature to economics, that way I still have 2 facilitating subjects in history and biology.

Well done on your offer! As I am currently revising for my iGCSE's in May, can I ask what you got in them please?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by oli19919
Hi! I made my choice of history, english literature, politics and biology. However, at the time I had to choose I was doing very well in english given that we were doing prose analysis and I forgot that I am only what I would class as 'good enough to choose for A-level' for prose, not for drama or poetry. Therefore, I am going to ask to change english literature to economics, that way I still have 2 facilitating subjects in history and biology.

Well done on your offer! As I am currently revising for my iGCSE's in May, can I ask what you got in them please?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ah that sounds like good choices!! yeah english lit is definitely my hardest subject so id think carefully before choosing it! economics and politics are still considered good subjects, its more subjects such as dance, photography etc that they'd have a problem with so you will be fine! i got 10 A*'s at GCSE but don't know what the equivalent is for iGCSE, i got AAAB at AS and am predicted A*AA :smile:
Original post by ellawhite4686
ah that sounds like good choices!! yeah english lit is definitely my hardest subject so id think carefully before choosing it! economics and politics are still considered good subjects, its more subjects such as dance, photography etc that they'd have a problem with so you will be fine! i got 10 A*'s at GCSE but don't know what the equivalent is for iGCSE, i got AAAB at AS and am predicted A*AA :smile:

Well done they're excellent! I am aiming for around 8A*s (as this is what my form tutor says is considered 'good' for Oxford law wannabes) but I struggle with speaking/listening French... Did you apply to Oxford?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by oli19919
Well done they're excellent! I am aiming for around 8A*s (as this is what my form tutor says is considered 'good' for Oxford law wannabes) but I struggle with speaking/listening French... Did you apply to Oxford?

Posted from TSR Mobile

thank you! trust me I'm sure you'll do really well, i wasn't expecting such good grades!was predicted 9 A's and an A* at GCSE. i struggled with french but as long as you have strong coursework then you should be fine! i had one off full marks in my coursework which meant i was one mark off a B before i even sat the exam! no i didn't apply to oxford/cambridge as i don't think it would be my thing! i fell in love with durham though :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest