The Student Room Group
Reply 1
If you choose to answer this question from a Christian perspective, then some of the following information may be relevant.

The sanctity of life. Man is unique and precious to God because he is made in God’s image (Genesis 1:26). God made life, God sustains life, and only God has the right to take life away. Life is a gift from God. Using a foetus for the welfare of another human being is treating a potential human life with instrumental value instead of intrinsic value. If an embryo can be considered a person with the right to life, then embryo research goes against all of the Christian teaching on the sanctity of life and the intrinsic worth of individuals.

‘Is an embryo a person?’ Many Christians do not accept the argument that an embryo only becomes sentient or ‘human’ 14 days after conception. Modern genetics informs us that, from conception, a person’s physical characteristics (and many mental/intellectual ones) are already established in the genetic code of the foetus. Roman Catholics often cite this as a key argument against the use of embryos and emergency contraception.

Situation ethics. Some Christians use situation ethics which, following Jesus’ example, teaches agape love as the summum bonum and argues that any action is acceptable if it promotes love. Embryo research may be seen as loving because it cures degenerative diseases such as Alzheimers.

You could also talk about the Natural Law theory of St Thomas Aquinas and its implications for embryo research. This website may be of some help to you: http://www.tutor2u.net/newsmanager/templates/?a=777&z=62.
Reply 2
Thanks that helped a lot, because even though i had that stuff in it, i wasn't sure if i was getting it right lol! And that website is gud cos i went on it to try and find some info and i didnt find that page so thanks a lot
Becca
Reply 3
You're welcome :smile: .

Latest

Trending

Trending