The Student Room Group
University of Oxford, Pawel-Sytniewski
University of Oxford
Oxford

Oxford MPhil Politics (European Politics & Society)

Hi everyone, I'm hoping to apply for the MPhil in European Politics & Society at Oxford. Does anyone know how competitive it is? What are admission tutors looking for regarding this specific course? Is anyone else considering applying? And if anyone is doing the course at the moment, are you enjoying it? Basically, any information at all is appreciated
Reply 1
Original post by lizzy_0708
Hi everyone, I'm hoping to apply for the MPhil in European Politics & Society at Oxford. Does anyone know how competitive it is? What are admission tutors looking for regarding this specific course? Is anyone else considering applying? And if anyone is doing the course at the moment, are you enjoying it? Basically, any information at all is appreciated

Hi Lizzy_0708,

I am currently doing the EPS MPhil at Oxford.
I´ve talked a lot with my Profs about admissions etc....basically, the first point of references are very good grades. Formally, I think a 68 is sufficient, but there is no student on the course who did not get a high first or its international equivalent. If you have the grades, the references are the next item that will be considered by the assessors. Then the motivation letter/essays..etc. Overall, there must just be a strong fit (particularly in regards to the research that you want to undertake here).

The first year is basically about research methods (quant and qual) as well as understanding the theoretical foundations of the Union and how it works. Its very demanding (particularly the methods) compared to other programs, but equips you with transferable tools you would not get elsewhere (as they are obligatory here), for instance at LSE (e.g. how to use statistical software). Although being a pain in the ass from time to time, the methods program actually helps you.

I hope that helps.

Feel free to reach out to me!
University of Oxford, Pawel-Sytniewski
University of Oxford
Oxford
Reply 2
Can anyone give any information on the program? Has anyone heard anything or had any experience? Basically, I am interested in the future career prospects, since I am afraid it might turn out a general degree without any professional impact ( and don’t forget it is 2 years we’re talking about, let alone the excessive fees and living costs). Plus, the number of applicants is only 43 per year, while for the MPhil in IR it is almost 700!!!! What is your opinion?
Reply 3
Original post by lizzy_0708

Hey, I know it's been four years, but did you end up applying??

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending