The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Au contraire
So, just so I can clarify here: refusing to be treated by someone who is proportionally far more likely than another member of the population to believe in stoning people to death, chopping off hands, mutilating genitalia and sympathy for suicide bombers, is 'bigotry'?

Oh, there was me thinking it meant protecting cherished western values and refusing to extend liberal values to those who pro-actively denounce them and believe in illiberal values.

I see no reason why liberal people should extend liberal values to people who aren't liberal.

At the end of the day, the doctor is a highly qualified expert who has dedicated many years of her life into this profession.She did not do this to get disrespected by ungrateful, stupid,bigoted patients who would rather risk their own health than put aside their hatred. This level of stupidity does not promote 'western values', but rather wastes time that could otherwise have been spend in a more productive way.
Original post by Leukocyte
I'm sorry but what makes you think a Muslim doesn't? You just seem so delusional to me, it's unbelievable and just disgusting to see people like you comment in such ways.

1. It's nauseating watching people like you - the perpetually self-righteous and appeasers of the intolerable - hide behind adjectives and altruism to lend legitimacy to religious conservatism and barbarity.

2. What makes me think that? All of the surveys I've cited from legitimate polling organisations like Pew research and ICM to demonstrate a disconcertingly high number of British Muslims - often times the majority - believe in illiberal viewpoints which are entirely antithetical, and out of alignment, with values held, cherished and nurtured by western civilisation.

These values belong in the gutter; if this woman has values - clearly she does - she may believe her life is safer in the hands of someone who actually believes in the sanctity of human life.

But if the woman did not believe in the sanctity of human life then surely she would not be a doctor

Believe it or not there are many decent, non-violent/homophobic muslims. @childofthesun is one.
Original post by Josb
In France the medical staff cannot have religious and political items. I appreciate not having to deal with people telling me their religion.

I wouldn't like it if the doctor kept his hat on, or a badge saying "I vote the Conservative Party"; he may really like it, but it is inconsiderate to keep it while working. I don't want to know the political opinions and religious beliefs of the public service employees.

I know

Wearing a hijab or whatever political accessory does not affect the doctor's ability to perform their duty(which should be the primary concern), so I really don't see why it ought to be disallowed.
So, just so I can clarify here: refusing to be treated by someone who is proportionally far more likely than another member of the population to believe in stoning people to death, chopping off hands, mutilating genitalia and sympathy for suicide bombers, is 'bigotry'?

Oh, there was me thinking it meant protecting cherished western values and refusing to extend liberal values to those who pro-actively denounce them and believe in illiberal values.

I see no reason why liberal people should extend liberal values to people who aren't liberal.

You're simply making assumptions about these people. Based on their religious beliefs. I've never met someone who believes in stoning or chopping off of hands or violence of any kind. And sure, that doesn't represent the whole country, but really, living in a western country like Britain, you would be less susceptible to that way of thinking.

And how is this "protecting cherished western values"? The lady can't even protect herself, not by rejecting medical care. And besides, someone may be Muslim, but they may have also grown up here, so they share those "western values". But it seems as though you're trying to build up a divide, simply because of religion, and that is a very close-minded way of thinking.

And really? Pulling the "sympathetic for suicide bombers" card? (Never mind the fact that the religion forbids suicide.) Do you not see people condemning that? For that matter, do you actually truly know any Muslims who actually believe in the stoning and the genital mutilation and all the other things you condemn all the rest in the chance that they may feel the same. (And I'm genuinely curious about this.)
Original post by childofthesun
At the end of the day, the doctor is a highly qualified expert who has dedicated many years of her life into this profession.She did not do this to get disrespected by ungrateful, stupid,bigoted patients who would rather risk their own health than put aside their hatred. This level of stupidity does not promote 'western values', but rather wastes time that could otherwise have been spend in a more productive way.

Blah, blah, blah, Islamophobia, Islamophobia, Islamophobia.

Why don't you just put on a Hijab and be done with it? I mean, you are willing to undermine 100 years of campaigning for female equality, so why not just go the full distance and commit your soul to religious conservatism? It will make you feel good about yourself - and morally superior! - and, let's face it, that's what really matters here. Progress is cheap and to be sacrificed, with a second's notice, upon the altar of self-righteousness.

n.b. I'm immune to your exploitation of prejudice for the purposes of making me conform to your politically correct group think. You're just another in a long line of conveyor belt appeasers, mass produced on scale by Zionists and Communists for the purposes of manufacturing self-loathing, guilt and class warfare along gender, religious and ethnic lines. You are so fundamentally...ordinary. You don't think, you just listen and repeat.
(edited 8 years ago)
Blah, blah, blah, Islamophobia, Islamophobia, Islamophobia.

Why don't you just put on a Hijab and be done with it? I mean, you are willing to undermine 100 years of campaigning for female equality, so why not just go the full distance and commit your soul to religious conservatism? It will make you feel good about yourself - and morally superior! - and, let's face it, that's what really matters here. Progress is cheap and to be sacrificed, with a second's notice, upon the altar of self-righteousness.

n.b. I'm immune to your exploitation of prejudice for the purposes of making me conform to your politically correct group think. You're just another in a long line of conveyor belt appeasers, mass produced on scale by Zionists and Communists for the purposes of manufacturing self-loathing, guilt and class warfare along gender, religious and ethnic lines. You are so fundamentally...ordinary. You don't think, you just listen and repeat.

ImageUploadedByStudent Room1453679010.260928.jpg
Original post by Josb
Is it so difficult for the doctor to remove her hijab in the hospital?

Freedom of expression mate. If you don't like it you can move out of the UK.
1. It's nauseating watching people like you - the perpetually self-righteous and appeasers of the intolerable - hide behind adjectives and altruism to lend legitimacy to religious conservatism and barbarity.

2. What makes me think that? All of the surveys I've cited from legitimate polling organisations like Pew research and ICM to demonstrate a disconcertingly high number of British Muslims - often times the majority - believe in illiberal viewpoints which are entirely antithetical, and out of alignment, with values held, cherished and nurtured by western civilisation.

Do you really think you're getting anywhere with your views? What makes you right and others wrong?
I don't really care about what you gather from a few statistical numbers, it doesn't justify the reason why she could do that to a doctor who is qualified.
Original post by teenhorrorstory
http://m.independent.ie/irish-news/health/i-dont-want-to-be-treated-by-someone-in-a-hijab-patient-refuses-care-from-two-muslim-doctors-34276594.html

This happened around a month ago, but I only just read about it now.
Honestly this is so ridiculous. Why would someone refuse medical treatment based on the religious beliefs of the doctor? Quite sad and pathetic really

Muslim doctors will not hand prescription drugs to patients in need when they go pray.

My mum works in Northampton and she sees some of her muslim colleagues pack up and leave mid way through important patient-doctor meetings.

It goes both ways. You have bigots on both sides.
(edited 8 years ago)

That may or may not be true, though I'll take life over death, cheers.
Original post by flyingpanda
You're simply making assumptions about these people. Based on their religious beliefs. I've never met someone who believes in stoning or chopping off of hands or violence of any kind. And sure, that doesn't represent the whole country, but really, living in a western country like Britain, you would be less susceptible to that way of thinking.

And how is this "protecting cherished western values"? The lady can't even protect herself, not by rejecting medical care. And besides, someone may be Muslim, but they may have also grown up here, so they share those "western values". But it seems as though you're trying to build up a divide, simply because of religion, and that is a very close-minded way of thinking.

And really? Pulling the "sympathetic for suicide bombers" card? (Never mind the fact that the religion forbids suicide.) Do you not see people condemning that? For that matter, do you actually truly know any Muslims who actually believe in the stoning and the genital mutilation and all the other things you condemn all the rest in the chance that they may feel the same. (And I'm genuinely curious about this.)

Yes you have. Have you met 10 Muslims? Then you have.

No, I don't see people condemning it - I never see people condemning it. I saw thousands of people gathering across Europe in the wake of the Charlie Hebdo bombings - I didn't see Muslims gathering among them. Not one. Plus, I'm not pulling 'a card', I'm citing a legitimate statistic - 35% of young British Muslims sympathise with suicide bombers (Pew research). 1% would be too many.

I'm not the one building the divide - the divide was built when they imported a culture which is disproportionately likely to believe in barbarity. That was the extremity, the extremity of my reaction is in proportion to the extremity of the policy.

The divide was erected when Islamic populations congregated in towns and cities in the UK, co-opted local communities, imposed their culture on local communities and adopted a homogeneous position in local communities, and the establishment - the people you support, the corporatist moguls who'd sell their own Grandmothers down the river - called it multiculturalism.

In reality, it's anything but - it's monoculturalism.
Reply 32
Original post by childofthesun
I know

Wearing a hijab or whatever political accessory does not affect the doctor's ability to perform their duty(which should be the primary concern), so I really don't see why it ought to be disallowed.

Because public servants must remain neutral and mustn't express political or religious beliefs. It could lead to many abuses otherwise, eg. propaganda and proselytism.

It's not about Islam, I would say exactly the same about a Jewish doctor who kept his kippah, or a Christian doctor wearing a cross around his neck and kissing it before examining patients, or an atheist wearing a THERE IS NO GOD shirt.

If religious doctors and nurses want to keep their outfit while working, they should go in some private hospitals.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by iuwern08um23f
But if the woman did not believe in the sanctity of human life then surely she would not be a doctor

Believe it or not there are many decent, non-violent/homophobic muslims. @childofthesun is one.

I'm sure there are. There are also many homophobic Muslims; in fact, 60% of them. You don't seem to have a problem with Muslims rejecting homosexuals, but you do seem to have a problem with people who hold liberal values rejecting medical care from Muslims. That's, em, illogical.

Being a Doctor is not indicative of giving a crap about human life. More often then not it's about title and status - people become Doctors for any multitude of reasons, and speculating on what those reasons are is nothing more than conjecture.

I opt for facts. Here's a fact: 60% of Muslims would reject a homosexual as a friend. If you're homosexual, why would you want to be treated by someone who would reject you on the basis of your sexuality?
Reply 34
Original post by AliRizzo
Freedom of expression mate. If you don't like it you can move out of the UK.

They are free to express themselves, but not at work.
Original post by Josb

Are you making up laws as you go along or something?
Original post by Josb

Why?
Original post by Leukocyte
Do you really think you're getting anywhere with your views? What makes you right and others wrong?
I don't really care about what you gather from a few statistical numbers, it doesn't justify the reason why she could do that to a doctor who is qualified.

Yeah, stats are meaningless in the face of totalitarian tolerance and diversity - I know.

What makes me right? Em, facts. What makes others wrong? Em, lack of facts.

I opt for facts. Here's a fact: 60% of Muslims would reject a homosexual as a friend. If you're homosexual, why would you want to be treated by someone who would reject you on the basis of your sexuality?

Because I don't care what the doctor thinks about me/my race/sexuality/religion/political affiliation etc. I just want their treatment so I can recover.
Yeah, stats are meaningless in the face of totalitarian tolerance and diversity - I know.

Answer my question rather than marking lame remarks. Thanks.

Latest

Trending

Trending