The Student Room Group
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh

Wondering why I am not able to take a gap year

I called up on results day asking to take a gap year and the woman otp was all fine about it saying yh I can still go for it and made me follow the steps to defer. However, the uni got back to me on Monday saying they aren’t able to give me a gap year even though I hadn’t appealed yet properly. I wonder if someone changed their mind and wanted to go uni now instead of a gap year would they allow it and swap their deferral with me?
I'm afraid you cannot trade university offers with someone else.

You said that you hadn't "appealed", does this mean you're appealing your A-Level results?
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh
Am confused by your post.

You talk about appealing and deferring?

Have you not met your conditions and needing to appeal your results?

Deferral is normally only available if you have made your conditions so have a firm offer and are looking to defer. It is not usually available to allow you extra time to meet the conditions.
Reply 3
Original post by Anonymous
Am confused by your post.

You talk about appealing and deferring?

Have you not met your conditions and needing to appeal your results?

Deferral is normally only available if you have made your conditions so have a firm offer and are looking to defer. It is not usually available to allow you extra time to meet the conditions.

I got unconditional offer and have got a place, however, to try and apply for a gap year you have to basically like “appeal” your case, i have recently done it again and have been calling up and the uni have said they are still considering gap years, i think the first woman i spoke to for a gap year or deferred entry couldnt be asked to hear what i had to say, but fingers crossed this week they can get back to me with good news
Original post by Anonymous
I got unconditional offer and have got a place, however, to try and apply for a gap year you have to basically like “appeal” your case, i have recently done it again and have been calling up and the uni have said they are still considering gap years, i think the first woman i spoke to for a gap year or deferred entry couldnt be asked to hear what i had to say, but fingers crossed this week they can get back to me with good news

Ahh I see!

They do say the following on website following:

Priority will be given to those who might have the most difficulty in engaging with the application process the following year.

Examples would include:

applicants who are undergoing, or recovering from, intensive medical treatment
applicants who will be travelling in remote areas where there will be little access to the internet
applicants with serious health conditions (mental or physical health problems)
maternity/paternity/adoption reasons
extra-curricular opportunities, for example: elite sport, art/music related opportunities
employment opportunities/internships directly relevant to your degree programme
military service

And one of people in my year was advised not to pick Edinburgh as they may need to defer to compete into the Olympics as deferrals are unusual for Edinburgh.

Good luck!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending