The Student Room Group

dropping out of uni? Rent payments?

Hello, I’m in a difficult situation as I have already done a foundation year, first year and I’m currently retaking my first year again. Despite my stubbornness, I’ve finally realised I’m too mentally ill to do uni (don’t want to overshare but I’ve had to quit my job abruptly, I haven’t been able to attend lessons for a couple of months now and I’ve had to move back home). My lecturers have been super nice to me and have told me it’s my choice whether I take a break or whatever I do.. they have said to prioritise my mental health.

However, I have £2,000 left of rent to pay and am completely relying on my student loan for this.. what are my options? My house mates are giving me the silent treatment (I suppose they’re mad at me for dropping out of the tenancy ah I’ve been unlucky with house mates clearly) and refuse to help me find another tenant and they have refused the people I have found so far.. I’m really stuck.
Reply 1
You may need to provide medical evidence to the landlord and evidence of your withdrawl, and they may terminate the tenancy agreement with no further liability to yourself. This should all be detailed in the tenancy agreement. I know when one of my friends at university became too physically unwell that's what he needed to do. What the other lodgers think of your decision doesn't matter. Has the landlord told you you need to find a replacement tenant?
Reply 2
Original post by ROTL94 4
You may need to provide medical evidence to the landlord and evidence of your withdrawl, and they may terminate the tenancy agreement with no further liability to yourself. This should all be detailed in the tenancy agreement. I know when one of my friends at university became too physically unwell that's what he needed to do. What the other lodgers think of your decision doesn't matter. Has the landlord told you you need to find a replacement tenant?

thank you and yes the landlord has told me it’s my responsibility to find a replacement tenant and I have to do the viewings (which is a nightmare as I’d rather not go back to the place). The tenancy agreement is fixed and there is no break clause so unless I find a replacement there is no way out.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending