The Student Room Group

Sean's Ship to Success

Scroll to see replies

Original post by titfortat
@SeanFM WOW! This is great! Thank you for spending time typing this up and posting for the benefit of others :yep: Myself and I'm sure many others appreciate this :smile: I think I'm going to use your post it note idea. I hope you get the results that you want on the 8th and I wish you luck on your placement :smile:

tat x

Original post by SeanFM

That's no problem at all! How are you finding your holiday so far? Also, will your placement at Sainsburys have anything to do with the degree you're taking?

Thanks,
tat x
Original post by titfortat
That's no problem at all! How are you finding your holiday so far? Also, will your placement at Sainsburys have anything to do with the degree you're taking?

Thanks,
tat x

It's going by far too quickly :hide: I only have under 2 weeks left until the placement starts, it's crazy.

Otherwise, fairly relaxing. France was cool and hopefully I get to go to Northern Ireland nextweek to see some football :tongue:

(and hope I make it back in one piece :hide:)

The placement'll have some things in common, I suppose, but not directly, more like using a lot of skills that I've gained during my degree - eg I'd be required to use Excel and another program and write up reports, analyse things etc, which I haven't done explicitly during my course but have done similar things for coursework, using coding etc. As well as 'operational research' which I haven't studied yet but will be in the final year - apparently it has stuff to do with that too.
Original post by SeanFM
It's going by far too quickly :hide: I only have under 2 weeks left until the placement starts, it's crazy.

Otherwise, fairly relaxing. France was cool and hopefully I get to go to Northern Ireland nextweek to see some football :tongue:

The placement'll have some things in common, I suppose, but not directly, more like using a lot of skills that I've gained during my degree - eg I'd be required to use Excel and another program and write up reports, analyse things etc, which I haven't done explicitly during my course but have done similar things for coursework, using coding etc. As well as 'operational research' which I haven't studied yet but will be in the final year - apparently it has stuff to do with that too.

Oh, have fun at the match! Your placement is starting soon too! Right, that makes sense, sounds fun 😄 .
Original post by SeanFM

Honestly, enjoy your remaining time before your placement. Even my friend who is absolutely enjoying what he's doing is damn knackered and just wants to finish already. You will have a great time but you will realise how much you have taken the student life for granted so enjoy it before you become a changed man! :tongue: (And good luck!)
Original post by InadequateJusticex
Honestly, enjoy your remaining time before your placement. Even my friend who is absolutely enjoying what he's doing is damn knackered and just wants to finish already. You will have a great time but you will realise how much you have taken the student life for granted so enjoy it before you become a changed man! :tongue: (And good luck!)

Thanks, I'll try my best :lol:
@SeanFM

Wow, thank you for taking the time to type all this up! Definitely worth the wait! :yep:
It took two days to read :giggle: :getmecoat:

It's been wonderful reading your study blog this year! :colondollar: I know that it has definitely helped others and will continue to do so in the future. :tongue:
Original post by aamirac
@SeanFM

Wow, thank you for taking the time to type all this up! Definitely worth the wait! :yep:
:getmecoat:

It's been wonderful reading your study blog this year! :colondollar: I know that it has definitely helped others and will continue to do so in the future. :tongue:

:toofunny: thank you for the support: :thumbsup: :woo: :party:

and for reading all of that. :hide:

And thanks, that is exactly what I hope the blog will do :lol: :colondollar:
Good luck. Hope you get a First (Class Honours) :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
@SeanFM I owe you a rep here I have never noticed that post but it looks really cool ! - just read a bit :3 -
Why are you on PRSOM :cry2:

Also with my French accent I read your title a bit like that :

Spoiler

Spoiler

Something different

I could write an essay on.. a lot of things like radioactive bananas but I thought I would convey some information in a different (and hopefully interesting) way, in the format of an online article.

Procrastination could be a good thing
21 August 2016

PROCRASTINATION is not only a word but a way of life for many students who are all-too-familiar with its allure. However, there could be a way to productively use that time, a study suggests.

The research, conducted by Sean, concluded that there are ways of procrastinating where students don't feel guilty about taking time off of work and doing something that is productive, gives a sense of progress and ultimately can give you benefits in your studies. The concept was coined 'positive procrastination' by Ethereal World, a graduate of the University of Bath.

Original post by Ethereal World
Procrastinating that makes you feel good. I called it positive procrastinating or po-pro and it's basically when I do really productive stuff and get my life in order to avoid doing work. But you don't feel half as bad.

This can be achieved through any method, such as cleaning your room, doing the dishes or even going for a run.

Studies* show that that positive procrastination yields on average a 125% increase in efficiency of studies

I tried it out for myself by jogging regularly every week as well as cleaning up my room.

Where did the mess go? A before and after shot of a room that had been cleaned.

I was satisfied with the results; not only had I had a fun time with some music on, cleaning up my room but it really helped in two different ways: I had more space, in my room in general but also on my desk and this helped it to feel less cluttered - and by extension, so was my mind. It also helped to have felt like I'd achieved something and also have a treat at the end of it - I chose to have some waffles from Tesco, and this made me think 'yes, I can do this' and go on to study later on.
I also teamed up with another GYG poster who very kindly cleaned their room and gave their verdict of how it made them feel.

Before and after: A highly organised student's room

She said:
aamirac
Whilst cleaning, there's always a bigger mess than what you started with because you're moving stuff around. But after I felt that it was somewhat rewarding to see the difference. It's nicer to work in, I feel more motivated to work since there isn't clutter everywhere and I can clearly see all my work in front of me

This way of procrastinating could kill two birds with one stone and ultimately improve your grades, the dream of every student.

*not a real study

Special thanks to @aamirac and @Ethereal World
(edited 7 years ago)

The fate of Ten

...is a book in one of my most favourite book series ever, of which I'm reading the final one at the moment as well as trying to juggle Wuthering Heights, as someone pretty cool recommended it to me and I kind of life the challenge - it's not like the normal stuff I read :colondollar: but anyway...

Dun dun

Results

reflecting on the blog and study techniques once more

Posted fairly regularly. As I intended to from the original post, I mostly posted on Sundays and sometimes around that time.

Images help to break up essays. Vines, too.

Frequency of posting. Had enough to say each week and maybe not enough to give a day by day account, which wouldn't have worked for me.

A good amount of insight (hopefully) into the undergraduate experience at university.

Posts often broken up to make it easier to read.

Nice to team up with someone else as well as to read other people's blogs and support them in their journeys, and for them to know that I am reading it and taking notes :work: :lol:

For studies:

:erm: :lol: :hmmmm: :iiam:

It was good to see my hard work for one mid-semester test where there wasn't a huge amount of other things going on, so I really studied hard for that one, did practice papers etc and it paid off as the questions were similar to previous ones, if not the same, and I knew how to do them.

Discovered the fun of positive procrastination.

The posters were fun to make and useful as a memorisation exercise. I could kind of picture the posters in the exam.

What didn't go so well

Maybe slightly lengthy at times :lol:

I began posting scores on problem sheets, missing lectures etc but I missed a bit more than I should have whilst promising myself to go to every single lecture etc etc - maybe that is something I should have continued doing. In itself it is not very useful but if I had to share it with someone then it'd pressure me to do as well as possible.

For studies:

My mindmap idea I couldn't really keep up because it wasn't really working for me and I didn't have the time after a while. I think I could have done it better though by not just recapping last week's information but by grouping it properly, but the notes already kind of do that by having things in a sequential order. But eg I could keep all the single integration stuff together, double integration somewhere else etc.

Keep on top of things. I missed lectures to catch up on other lectures which was a vicious cycle. :hide:

Past papers and problem sheets. There is so much information to take in but these are the most helpful resources for exams, so instead of cramming I should do it over time and revisit past papers.

some random questions that I thought of and answered

what have I been up to since results day?

top tips for upcoming uni students!

...that's it from me. Hopefully this has been useful for getting insight into the uni experience, whether it's about the late buses or coursework disasters and the strange life of a student outside of term time.

It's been really interesting to see the journeys of other people, and I see that a lot have got the grades they wanted so well done. :h:

This ship has now passed the boundary of a storm in the ocean and is in eye of the storm, and later hopes to fly out of the top of the storm and land safely in a port. What a lovely image.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by SeanFM

I hope it's good news for you in September. :hugs:
Original post by SeanFM

I just found your blog - it is the best thing ever!The best of luck to you Monsieur artiste :mmm:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending