The Student Room Group

celloel's track to success! (AS Level)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by celloel
Thursday 31/3/16: 47 Days

I wanted to do a lot of revision/catch up work over Easter (I've been having bad flare ups lately and have missed a lot of college), however I've gotten worse again (basically the story of my life :tongue:).

I've been pretty much laying in bed with a ton of symptoms - which I won't go in to - for the past 6 days. I'm having an ok period right now, hence the update. Honestly, at this point I know I'm not going to pass my AS Levels simply because I cannot do anything - it's hard enough to stop feeling nauseas enough to look at my computer screen. I'm in a constant state of worry because if it weren't for my health I would have passed and that's so incredibly gutting.

But I've just got to look to the future and stop worrying, I suppose. My health is what matters. When I feel like I can, I'll do the catching up (I've got another week of Easter) and hopefully will have done enough revision to feel confident in the exams. It's looking unlikely, though. This is kind of just a ramble update, because I'm honestly feeling incredibly angry and worried about my future currently.

You're lucky to have an actual reason why you aren't revising! I'm just not revising at the moment... :smile: You have the rest of your life ahead of you. My cousin redid the entire year of AS and he's got into the uni he wants now. It isn't the end of the world if you have to hold off for a year. As you said, health is what matters. :smile:
Reply 21
Original post by Ara8311a
You're lucky to have an actual reason why you aren't revising! I'm just not revising at the moment... :smile: You have the rest of your life ahead of you. My cousin redid the entire year of AS and he's got into the uni he wants now. It isn't the end of the world if you have to hold off for a year. As you said, health is what matters. :smile:

Thank you so much, it really does mean a lot to me. I have been learning to accept that whilst I may have to repeat the year or do another course, I can still get into a good University and fulfil my plans, etc, so it's not the be all and end all!

Best of luck in all of your exams and battling procrastination :P
Thank you again :smile:
Reply 22
Tuesday 5/04/16 - 42 Days
My bacterial infection hasn't completely cleared up, but it's getting a LOT better, and I am no longer confined to my bed! I managed to shower and dress myself, etc, yesterday which was absolutely awesome. So, today, I've decided to try and achieve a goal of two hours of revision/general college work. It's a big goal for me, but I'm going to try my hardest :smile:

I've got a plan to 'ease' myself into it. I'll be doing 10 minutes of work, with 10 minute breaks to sleep or rest, etc, over and over again for as long as I can manage, for 2 hours. Hopefully I'll be able to get a good amount done - I'm planning on evaluating some sources for my EPQ (which is just about finished - all I have left to do is finish the log book and evaluate woo!!), finish chapter 2 on the Cold War, and perhaps do some work on English Language discourses.

I've got a lot of work to do before college starts next week, but that's ok. I know I can do it. I might even leave the house today (if I feel up to it a bit later!) Most of all, I'm happy to be feeling a bit better :smile:
Reply 23
17/04/16 - 30? Days
Hiya! It's been a while, but I completed my first week back at college after Easter (sort of - I had Friday off because I wasn't feeling well). I started watching the Walking Dead with my mum over Easter and honestly it's beginning to become a problem (we're over halfway through Season 4 in less than 2 weeks), so I'm trying to tone it down a bit so I can focus on my revision. Anything to procrastinate!

Into the A Level work: I got a Language paper back I did over Easter, and in my hardest section (writing an opinion article on a language theory) and I got an A (also an A on the overall papers), so I'm very happy! I also have a mock exam on Wednesday in Literature on Hamlet and poetry, so I'm trying to make sure I do some revision for that and memorise some quotes, as I haven't done any for that yet. I have finished making my spreadsheet for the ICT exam and just have to do the screenshots for that.
Today, my goal is to:
- Catch up English Literature work from Friday
- Revise Literature
- Do History Industrialisation work (lesson was cancelled)
And then over the course of the next week (ish) I have to tidy up my EPQ essay, just adding in page numbers and silly things like that, then that'll be completely finished (woo!)
Only 1 month and 1 day today, so I should really start actually revising for it.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 24
20/04/16 - 28 Days
4 weeks today until my first exam, which will be in British Industrialisation. :redface: Time to get serious with my revision.
I've finished my EPQ and the official hand-in is tomorrow, which is great because I'm hoping it'll free up some time that I can instead dedicate toward my AS Levels. I've decided to update the blog once a week (starting today) with my goals for each day, etc, and whether I did the previous week's goals.
I had a mock exam in English Literature today (Shakespeare and Poetry) and so I did some revision today (I'll attach the notes incase anyone might randomly be reading this and find them useful - they're on critics/quotes for Hamlet, OCR themed) and found out that TSR had some actually very useful study tools, which I didn't know about! I also want to show off my beautifully coloured mind maps :wink:
Hamlet Revision Sources:

Spoiler

So, my plan for the upcoming week is as follows:
Thursday

Spoiler

Friday

Spoiler

Saturday

Spoiler

Sunday

Spoiler

Monday

Spoiler

Tuesday

Spoiler

Wednesday

Spoiler

Reply 25
20/04/16 - 19 Days
For the most part, I did revision over the last week! I also did two mock exams and handed in my EPQ (phew) - I'm unsure when I'll get my grade back, but I am very happy it's all done. I got an A in the Shakespeare mock and a high B in the poetry, so I assume that comes out overall as a high B for that exam, which is what I want in the summer, so I'm very happy about that!
Plan for the upcoming week (my second to last week at college before study leave!):
Saturday

Spoiler

Sunday

Spoiler

Monday

Spoiler

Tuesday

Spoiler

Wednesday

Spoiler

Thursday

Spoiler

Friday

Spoiler

(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by celloel
20/04/16 - 19 Days
For the most part, I did revision over the last week! I also did two mock exams and handed in my EPQ (phew) - I'm unsure when I'll get my grade back, but I am very happy it's all done. I got an A in the Shakespeare mock and a high B in the poetry, so I assume that comes out overall as a high B for that exam, which is what I want in the summer, so I'm very happy about that!
Plan for the upcoming week (my second to last week at college before study leave!):
Saturday

Spoiler

Sunday

Spoiler

Monday

Spoiler

Tuesday

Spoiler

Wednesday

Spoiler

Thursday

Spoiler

Friday

Spoiler

Hii sorry but how do you revise for english lit
I do othello and poetry
Persuasion and gatsby
I'm finding it hard and aiming for a good grade!
Do you have any revision tips

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 27
Original post by goal101
Hii sorry but how do you revise for english lit
I do othello and poetry
Persuasion and gatsby
I'm finding it hard and aiming for a good grade!
Do you have any revision tips

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hiya! (OCR specification - this is specific to this spec, so not sure about others)
For poetry, I'd recommend linking themes and poetic features to quotes from different poems - for example, think about poems that discuss the theme of religion, then link quotes. This is because you'll need to use the quotes in your analysis of the poem. You also want to go over each one, make sure you know it and have annotated it.
For Gatsby, just go bit by bit, looking at the important themes and linking quotes - memorise the quotes. Think about how you could analyse them or link them to different questions; what is the question on? etc
For Shakespeare, again, memories quotes based on themes (this is the easiest way to remember for me). The paper will probably have one character and one theme question, so make sure you have a range of questions. MEMORISE THEM. Know literary features - you get marks for this. Memories critics - you need to know some.
And the same for the play you're doing - you need to know critics, some themes and some devices used.
Reply 28
9/05/16 - 9 days
We're into single digit days now... which is terrifying! Not long until my industrialisation exam, and it's the one I'm least confident in, so I've been focusing majorly on that. I haven't gotten as much revision as planned done, but I have my reasons. I still have 9 days - I know I can do this :smile: I've now done my final Monday before study leave! Only 4 days of college left, then I get a break away from college (with exams somewhat ruining it).
Here's my plan for the next 4 days (incl. today). I'm making it shorter as I have less days, and want to be able to edit as and when I need to.
Monday

Spoiler

Tuesday

Spoiler

Wednesday

Spoiler

Thursday

Spoiler

(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 29
I created a mind map of quotes on Gatsby by idea/theme, incase anybody needs them!
Here it is: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/g/diagrams/ga

Also have one for streetcar: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/g/diagrams/streetcar-quotes-by-themeidea

Spoiler

(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 30
13/05/16 - 5 days until exam
I'm writing this at midnight, mildly panicking at how close exams are. I can't believe it's only 5 days until my first AS Level exam - that's crazy! I'm definitely feeling like I'm not prepared as thoroughly as I could be, but I still have time and I know I can do it. I got a call from my doctor at the hospital yesterday and short things short I ended up having a mini-crisis (I'm being transferred departments, most likely being diagnosed with another(!), different incurable physical disability) - I had to write it off as a 'no-revision day' because I felt too down in the dumps and, if I'm honest, a bit sorry for myself (I'm a bit embarrassed to admit that though!)
Tomorrow is my last day of college before study leave and therefore my last day of Year 12/AS Year - that's flown by very quickly. I'm writing out my plan for tomorrow (Friday) and the next few days, but I'll continue to update this blog closer to my first exam and throughout the exam period.
Friday

Spoiler

Saturday

Spoiler

Sunday

Spoiler

Monday

Spoiler

Tuesday

Spoiler

Wednesday - FIRST EXAM DAY

Spoiler

(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 31
19/05/16 - 20 days until last exam
I wasn't really sure what countdown to do anymore - since I did my first exam yesterday(!) I'm glad it's out of the way and as long as the rest of my exams go well, I'll never have to open another textbook on Industrialisation again (woo)
Tomorrow (Friday) I have an exam in Shakespeare & Poetry for English Literature, which I'm hoping to do well in as it's the paper I was strongest in during all of my mocks. The exam that's concerning me the most (at the moment) is Cold War on Wednesday as I really can't remember anything for it! I'll have to focus some of my efforts on that.
Here's my plan for the next few days :smile:
Thursday

Spoiler

Friday

Spoiler

Saturday

Spoiler

Sunday

Spoiler

Monday

Spoiler

(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 32
02/06/16 - 6 days until last exam
Hello! I know it's been a while; that's mainly because I felt very ill after my last exam last week and needed to take a break from revision. But now I'm very ready to get started again - only two exams left, and then it'll all be over! (Until next year, of course). These exams are two of my most important (I want to get decent grades in these two subjects) so I'm trying to focus my energy on reaffirming my knowledge for them.
Here's my plan for the next week:
Thursday:

Spoiler

Friday:

Spoiler

Saturday:

Spoiler

Sunday:

Spoiler

Monday:

Spoiler

Tuesday:

Spoiler

Wednesday:

Spoiler

Reply 33
All exams over!
I wanted to do a post sort of summing up everything as my exams are officially over (woo!). I'm back at college to start A2 on Monday, so there's no real time to rest/celebrate before it all picks back up again. I'm planning on updating this thread with my last post in August with my grades, so this will be my penultimate post and I guess some predictions!

The exam season was definitely hard, and it took its toll on my body. I'm still exhausted and sleeping 12+ hours each day, and I am in a lot of pain in my joints, etc, from a flare up of my condition brought on by the exams, but I'm super glad it's all over until next year. I found the exams to be quite difficult, but I'm entirely uncertain on predictions for my grades. I always get agitated after exams and can never truly say how it went, although I feel like a few of these exams I performed poorly in - at least not as well as I could have. That's not from lack of revision or knowledge, more I was finding it hard to write extended essays or formulate my ideas correctly, which I usually don't find hard. Hopefully I did better than I thought though.

So here's some predictions! These are being incredibly kind - I'll probably get lower grades than this, but there's nothing wrong with a little optimism in these next few months :redface:

Spoiler

Again, these are being slightly optimistic - I think - so I'll have to wait until August to see how close I was!

Best of luck to anyone still doing exams, and I hope you all get the grades you want/need/deserve come August <3
-cello
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 34
Summer Update - 2 sleeps until Results Day!
Over summer I've mainly been having a little bit of rest and relaxation - I'll probably do a little work on my coursework once I've got my results and all! I've also got a little bit of a short job to be starting soon.
I'm very nervous about results day (naturally), but also quite excited. I hope I've done well, but honestly anything could happen on Thursday. Fingers crossed for the results I want/need! I definitely think this blog has helped me to 'grow my grades', having something to fill in and plan out my week certainly helped to organise my study leave. My next step is to continue on with college and drop a subject - which subject I drop is dependent on my results :smile:
Reply 35
Results Day Update!
This will be my final post in this blog I started way back in January - and I've certainly come a long way since. Here are my final grades:

English Literature - A
English Language - A
ICT - A
EPQ - A
History - B

AAAB(A) far exceeds any of the hopes I had for myself, and exceeds the predictions of teachers. I definitely did 'grow my grades' this year, and I am very, very happy with the results! The work I put in certainly managed to pay off and I couldn't ask for anything more. I'll now be applying to University this September and I'll be dropping English Literature (to ensure I have a wider range of subject content). I needed this good news today, as I've recently been diagnosed with 2 more conditions, and it's made my week. It's okay to say I'm proud of myself, right? :colondollar:
I hope everybody else got the grades they needed and deserved!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending