The Student Room Group

Have I got a realistic chance of getting into Camebridge??

I'm looking to apply for a maths or/and physics degree (2024) and was considering Cambridge as an option. At AS level I am predicted:
Maths - A*
Further maths - A* (self study with supervisions)
Physics - A*
Literature - A*
History - A*
However, my gcses are:
History - A
Physics - B
Biology - B
Maths - B
Geography - B
Baccalaureate - B
English lit - B
English lang - B
Numeracy - C
Chemistry - C
French - D
Welsh - D

Are my gcses too bad to have a realistic chance of a successful application? (Thanks in advance for any helpful replies)
Original post by CharlieIzHereMfs
I'm looking to apply for a maths or/and physics degree (2024) and was considering Cambridge as an option. At AS level I am predicted:
Maths - A*
Physics - A*
Literature - A*
History - A*
However, my gcses are:
History - A
Physics - B
Biology - B
Maths - B
Geography - B
Baccalaureate - B
English lit - B
English lang - B
Numeracy - C
Chemistry - C
French - D
Welsh - D

Are my gcses too bad to have a realistic chance of a successful application? (Thanks in advance for any helpful replies)

Hi!

There are no GCSE (or equivalent) requirements for entry to Cambridge. GCSE results are looked at as a performance indicator, but within the context of the performance of the school/college where they were achieved.

The typical A Level requirements for an application to Mathematics are A*A*A including Maths and Further Maths, and for Natural Sciences are A*A*A including Maths and two other Sciences (which includes Further Maths and Physics), so you appear to be on the right track!
Original post by CharlieIzHereMfs
Maths - A*
Physics - A*
Literature - A*
History - A*
However, my gcses are:
History - A
Physics - B
Biology - B
Maths - B
Geography - B
Baccalaureate - B
English lit - B
English lang - B
Numeracy - C
Chemistry - C
French - D
Welsh - D

And as a Welsh applicant (go Cymru! :woo:) you will have a particular advantage as well that your GCSEs will not be your most recent set of achieved results so if you can ace your ASes then there's even less need to worry about your GCSEs at Cambridge or anywhere else!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending