The Student Room Group

maths at uni without further maths a level

I'm currently doing my AS levels in maths, biology, chemistry and english lit and I've been considering doing maths at uni but I didn't take further maths a level, will it be harder for me to get into universities, or will the course be harder for me? I'm not really interested in Oxbridge or ucl but would still like to go to a top university. I have also looked at doing a joint honours in maths and something else so will further maths still be as important?
If you want to do maths, you'll need A level further maths for the top universities.

The only way is either you do FM outside of school OR you go do a course that's very close to pure Maths and then transfer at the end of the second year.
Reply 2
I'm applying for joint honours in maths and they mainly want an A in maths, I don't do further maths. The course will only be hard for you if you do not study, if you work hard it doesn't matter if you do further maths or not you will eventually understand it.
Reply 3
I am applying to study maths next year without FM and got all 5 offers (Southampton, Exeter, Surrey, Nottingham and Loughborough). You will only be slightly restricted in terms of where you apply -Durham Warwick Bath Bristol need FM as well as oxbridge and UCL.
At every open day i went to for my options, i was told that it is fine not to have FM as they cover everything as if nobody had done it.
Alternatively you can teach yourself some of the units, I am currently going through FP1, D1 +D2 just because i want to but am finding them a lot easier than the A2 maths modules. So you could easily just buy a textbook to look through in the summer before you leave for uni. Hope this helps
It's pretty important and is required for top unis. Some unis such as Bath will accept you if you do well in STEP instead, but further maths is easier.
As for joint degrees, it depends on the other subject and the uni. You want to pick subjects that are related and for example maths and physics will require further maths at A*/A at top unis.
Reply 5
Original post by midge101
I'm currently doing my AS levels in maths, biology, chemistry and english lit and I've been considering doing maths at uni but I didn't take further maths a level, will it be harder for me to get into universities, or will the course be harder for me? I'm not really interested in Oxbridge or ucl but would still like to go to a top university. I have also looked at doing a joint honours in maths and something else so will further maths still be as important?

I would not advise it

Quick Reply

Latest