The Student Room Group

Muslims aren't the problem, Islam is

Scroll to see replies

Reply 320
Original post by geek999
slam is not the issue at all. Muslims are.

Original post by geek999
Our people are embarrassing our faith.
If the Quran says that it is permissible to keep slaves (under the appropriate conditions), who is the better Muslim - the one who accepts that slavery is still permissible, or the one who utterly condemns and rejects it?

Likewise, where the Quran says that a husband may beat his disobedient wife (under the appropriate conditions), who is correctly following Islam - the one who says that wife-beating is still permissible, or the one who utterly condemns and rejects it?

And so on...
Reply 321
Original post by Khadijah489
Your contradicting yourself there by saying that I haven't read the Quran, that's pretty stupid considering that I never denied violence in the first place but oh well. As for those passages, its there for a reason, as the Quran states that the disbelievers will get punished since they are simply not followers of Islam. Also, those passages don't solely reflect on the majority of people, its the minority, again.
Ah, so you accept that the Quran does indeed contain violent and unpleasent passages - but that they're there for a reason.
That's alright then.
Reply 322
What I meant when I said that point was that only one passage is directed towards the disbelievers, since it clearly states that the disbelievers will receive a punishment. This is what I meant when I said the passage is only directed towards a minority of people (which is the disbelievers and not the majority (which is the true believers). Obviously some people condemn killing in Islam but sadly some do not and it is these people that are not practising Islam properly.
Sorry, but disbelievers are, and have always been, the vast majority!
Reply 323
Original post by samzy21
I think the problem is the way some people (e.g ISIS) interpret Islam not Islam itself.

Posted from TSR Mobile
The Quran says that slaves may be taken from defeated opponents, and that those slaves that are female may be used for sex.

ISIS use female slaves, taken from defeated opponents, for sex.

Are they misinterpreting the Quran, or is it the person who condemns their actions?
What I meant when I said that point was that only one passage is directed towards the disbelievers, since it clearly states that the disbelievers will receive a punishment. This is what I meant when I said the passage is only directed towards a minority of people (which is the disbelievers and not the majority (which is the true believers). Obviously some people condemn killing in Islam but sadly some do not and it is these people that are not practising Islam properly.

I think you need to reasses your view on the human population. Non-Muslims make up the overwhelming majority of it, not the minority. Besides, this is irrelevant anyway as my point was that the Quran contains violent and unpleasant passages, which it does.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 325
Original post by samzy21
I'm a Muslim and don't believe that the disbelievers will be punished just because they aren't Muslim. There could be a reason why God allowed there to be different religions. If someone has lived a good honest life then there is no reason for them not to be rewarded after death no matter what their beliefs are or what religion they follow or not follow. At the end of the day it is not for us humans to decide who will be punished or not, it is God's.
Didn't you just have a go at ISIS for misinterpreting the Quran (when they are just being literal)?

Yet now, you reject several clear passages because it doesn't correspond to your own personal beliefs! It's a good job that you don't believe in the Quran on the subject of disbelief and hell, because your belief might have consigned yourself there!
Reasons for asking you that question was based solely because I wanted to find out why you thought that it contained violent and unpleasant passages, basically, making sure you weren't just talking a load of ******** :smile: although I did sound as if I was contradicting myself, I disagreed with the point that you made when you said that it was unpleasant and violent, those passages are there for a reason, the Quran certainly does not condemn killing and it never has done, your prejudice towards the passages and the religion itself is quite offensive as well, since you have to understand why those passages are there in the first place. The Quran has those passages for a reason, you will need to read more about it in depth in order to understand. I cannot stand bigotry at all but if thats your opinion then I respect it.

Nonsense! How is ordering the death of unbelievers and saying they should be crucified and have their limbs cut off NOT unpleasant and violent?! It clearly is and I'm yet to see you give a reasonable justification for such hatred spewed against us by your holy book. And once again, this doesn't change the fact that the Quran is full of vile material.
It is a select few muslims at fault for the bad representation of their faith. Anyways, why do people see ISIS as an accurate representation of Islam, and they don't see the KKK as an accurate representation of Christianity. It is effed up
Original post by Hydeman
Disbelievers in Islam? Surely that's a contradiction in terms? A disbeliever in Islam is, by definition, not following Islam.

Just to clarify some terms to you, for you seem to have got yourself muddled a little:

A believer, by definition, is someone who accepts a particular faith.
A disbeliever, by definition, is someone who rejects a particular faith.
A non-believer, by definition, is someone who does not believe in a faith.
An unbeliever, by definition, is someone who has no faith.

I understand that it's easy to confuse the concepts, especially as they are prone to overlaps.

However, in making a general point, a disbeliever in Islam is not a contradiction in terms for one has to qualify what they disbelieve in, either through context or with explicit reference.

There are more non-believers than believers (in relation to Islam) but one could not stretch any statistical probability to categorize all non-believers as disbelievers, as @BaconandSauce has done and as @Plantagenet Crown and @QE2 have mistakenly led themselves to believe.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Kalail
It is a select few muslims at fault for the bad representation of their faith. Anyways, why do people see ISIS as an accurate representation of Islam, and they don't see the KKK as an accurate representation of Christianity. It is effed up

because as already shown

'If the Quran says that it is permissible to keep slaves (under the appropriate conditions), who is the better Muslim - the one who accepts that slavery is still permissible, or the one who utterly condemns and rejects it?

Likewise, where the Quran says that a husband may beat his disobedient wife (under the appropriate conditions), who is correctly following Islam - the one who says that wife-beating is still permissible, or the one who utterly condemns and rejects it?

And so on...'
Original post by TheArtofProtest
Just to clarify some terms to you, for you seem to have got yourself muddled a little:

A believer, by definition, is someone who accepts a particular faith.
A disbeliever, by definition, is someone who rejects a particular faith.
A non-believer, by definition, is someone who does not believe in a faith.
An unbeliever, by definition, is someone who has no faith.

I understand that it's easy to confuse the concepts, especially as they are prone to overlaps.

However, in making a general point, a disbeliever in Islam is not a contradiction in terms for one has to qualify what they disbelieve in, either through context or with explicit reference.

There are more non-believers than believers (in relation to Islam) but one could not stretch any statistical probability to categorize all non-believers as disbelievers, as @BaconandSauce has done.

No not really given they are talking about 'believers in islam' it helps if you read the posts I'm replying to

and I quote them directly

'you are just assuming that there are more disbelievers in islam than there are believers'

so you can see they used the term 'in islam' not just 'believers'

so

A believer 'in Islam', by definition, is someone who accepts Islam.
A disbeliever 'in Islam', by definition, is someone who rejects Islam.
A non-believer 'in Islam', by definition, is someone who does not believe in Islam
An unbeliever 'in Islam', by definition, is someone who has disbelieves is Islam.

In your rush to make me look stupid you've well and truly shot your self in the foot. Par of the course though given your usual muddled posts
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 331
Original post by Kalail
It is a select few muslims at fault for the bad representation of their faith. Anyways, why do people see ISIS as an accurate representation of Islam,
ISIS are not the only representation of Islam, but they are a legitimate and valid interpretation when you compare words and deeds to the content of the Quran and sunnah.
Remember that the Quran is unchangeable, and the sunnah is the perfect example for all humanity, so it would seem that they may well be a more accurate representation of Islam as practiced by Muhammad.

and they don't see the KKK as an accurate representation of Christianity. It is effed up
The KKK was not set up as a representation of Christianity, and it never claimed to be one. It was a political organisation that aimed to maintain white supremacy and the power of the plantation owners in the Southern states after the Civil War. It was not attempting to establish a Christian theocracy based on a literalist interpretation of the Bible. Unlike ISIS, neither their goals not their methods came from any scriptural reference.
Original post by BaconandSauce
No not really given they are talking about 'believers in islam' it help if you read the posts I'm replying to

and I quote them directly

'you are just assuming that there are more disbelievers in islam than there are believers'

so you can see they used the term 'in islam' not just 'believers'

In your rush to make me look stupid you've well and truly shot your self in the foot. Par of the course though given your usual muddled posts

Whether they stated "believers in Islam" makes no difference to the fact that what you presented as "research" wasn't in any way, shape or form demonstrating that there are "more disbelievers in Islam than there are believers" (one assumes this relates to the belief in Islam).

You might have assumed disbelievers is the same as non-believers and whilst there may be overlap, this simply isn't the case.

If you have, and I think you mentioned that you did have, research to show that there are more disbelievers than believers in Islam, then I'd love to see it because I think it would be a struggle to even start to quantify it, as would be the case with any ideology or faith, unless diametrically opposed.

EDIT: Just seen your edit above and it makes absolutely no difference to what you presented as research. As I mentioned in my post to @Hydeman - Belief in something is usually contained within the context of a discussion or through explicit reference. All you've done, is simply add on the words "in Islam" and substituted "faith" for Islam.
(edited 8 years ago)
As Muslims are part of Islam doesn't that make them part of the problem
Original post by TheArtofProtest
Whether they stated "believers in Islam" makes no difference

Yes it does

You can say it doesn't as much as you like but in reality it does It is a fact there are more disbelievers in Islam than there are believers

Now keep digging yourself out of the stupid mistake you made if you like but we can all see the stupidity of your post
Yes it does

You can say it doesn't as much as you like but in reality it does It is a fact there are more disbelievers in Islam than there are believers

Now keep digging yourself out of the stupid mistake you made if you like but we can all see the stupidity of your post

Exactly, there are more disbelievers in Islam than believers in it. This member is, as usual, being ridiculously pedantic, kind of reminds me of tsr1269..
Original post by Plantagenet Crown
Exactly, there are more disbelievers in Islam than believers in it. This member is, as usual, being ridiculously pedantic, kind of reminds me of tsr1269..

and the user Errmm

But yes he has had to cut the important part of the initial claim 'in islam' to make his point

when corrected his response is the predictable 'it doesn't matter'

But perhaps it's just a case of him not wanting to admit to himself the Majority of the world don't believe Islam is the truth so felt comfort in the claim 'there are more believers' than those who don't.
Yes it does

The ignore list is pretty useful for obscurantists like him. :u:
Original post by Kalail
In my view, ISIS are trying to reenact the intoxicating saga of the origins of Islam - the sahaba, the first Muslim community, the expeditions, the conquests and expansion, the punishments, the harsh justice, the booty, the slaves, the women... everything which makes early Islam romantic and appealing for people who want to escape the drudgery of everyday life

what they are trying to reenact is an imaginary reconstruction of the early Caliphate : imaginary, because first of all, there is little reliable information about it, and secondly because, in their rush for action, they are not so eager to spend decades in studying the relevant Islamic literature

this said, as far as I am concerned, their version of Islam is as legitimate as any other one : and it is not up to us poor, misguided kuffar to decide what is Islam and what isn't
Original post by Plantagenet Crown

As a challenge, I'd ask you to prove it but I know that like @BaconandSauce, you will simply give me statistics for non-believers, not disbelievers.

Can you, at this moment in time, prove that more people have rejected a faith, than believe in a faith?

You'll need to discount all the people that have not actually been exposed to other faiths, those that have maintained their faith in ignorance of other faiths and those that are simply keeping their faith as tradition.

There is literally no way of determining that from the number of non-believers, which is the research that has been presented.

If you wish to continue to see all non-believers as disbelievers, then you simply are ignoring the fact that the terms are not used interchangeably. Why someone would continue to do so, despite being informed that the research presented does not corroborate the claims presented, is something that I do not care to speculate on.

It's troubling to note that your views on such simple things is not dissimilar to that of IS. You wish to see things in binary and take the view that everything that is not black, is white.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending