The Student Room Group

Imperial computing interview, what to expect?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by linxdoom
Well I hope your right. How long after the interview should I expect a response?

For me it was about 2 weeks but also i think they are probably much busier rn and also other people have gotten offers literal months later. So I think it varies, and it's not a bad sign if it takes them ages.
Sorry, I know that is very unhelpful of me djsj
I showed up in a 3 piece suit and got rejected. Cheers!
Original post by sturm
oh haha wow I have absolutely no clue why I assumed you were not also waiting for interview.. silly me!!
Good luck!!!
I just got an offer for Maths and computing (A*A*AA, A in EPQ and 2 in Step..)yayayy but if you want to drop a private message about the interview please do:smile: I'm sure you'll do great!!

EDIT- I just realised I was getting @Benson55 mixed up with @sweeneyrod, who posted 4 years ago...Well done me

hi, I am applying SE this year, looking for some suggestions in writting PS.....Could you tell me what did you particularly mention in your PS that makes you got an offer? Would computing experiences be helpful? Thank you:)
Reply 23
Original post by Takashi_77
hi, I am applying SE this year, looking for some suggestions in writting PS.....Could you tell me what did you particularly mention in your PS that makes you got an offer? Would computing experiences be helpful? Thank you:)

honestly I have no clue...
I mentioned a passion for computing and maths of course (yes I used the word 'passion', eek!), but i think what impressed them may have been that I did a MOOC on machine learning (on Coursera, by Andrew Ng and its veryvery good, only requiring an AS further maths level of maths understanding and he teaches it very well so even if you only knew AS level maths you might be OK), and I just talked about how in Machine Learning, maths and computer science are unified through statistics and some stuff like that. I also talked about 17 equations which changed the world, and hoew it made me appreciate applied maths and its beauty?
I am not sure what made them give me an offer tho!
Original post by sturm
honestly I have no clue...
I mentioned a passion for computing and maths of course (yes I used the word 'passion', eek!), but i think what impressed them may have been that I did a MOOC on machine learning (on Coursera, by Andrew Ng and its veryvery good, only requiring an AS further maths level of maths understanding and he teaches it very well so even if you only knew AS level maths you might be OK), and I just talked about how in Machine Learning, maths and computer science are unified through statistics and some stuff like that. I also talked about 17 equations which changed the world, and hoew it made me appreciate applied maths and its beauty?
I am not sure what made them give me an offer tho!

They are really good things to talk about, I can see that lol. Thank you for your reply, that really helps : )
Reply 25
Just had mine. Quite easy tbf, more of a conversation. Really went quite well, especially compared to Cambridge ones. They ask general questions and reasonings for your choices, then get into some logic questions similar to the ones in the online test. I'm sure the interview is just to check that you didnt get a high score on the test because you cheated, that's all. If you didn't cheat, you'll be fine :smile:
Original post by vbsc_
Just had mine. Quite easy tbf, more of a conversation. Really went quite well, especially compared to Cambridge ones. They ask general questions and reasonings for your choices, then get into some logic questions similar to the ones in the online test. I'm sure the interview is just to check that you didnt get a high score on the test because you cheated, that's all. If you didn't cheat, you'll be fine :smile:

How many questions did they ask?
Reply 27
Original post by gemdarkstone
Hi, I just had my interview on the 3rd.
Basically, the entire day is spent looking at the Uni, being introduced to the course, seeing the first yr projects etc. so it's pretty chill.
The interview itsself is very very very relaxed (at least for me!) I was chatting and laughing with my interviewer, asking me general questions like 'why computing?' or 'why imperial'. I didn't get asked about a single specific thing on my personal statement (but thats apperently uncommon - most interviewrs will ask yoy something spefic to your PS). After that I got 2 maths questions - both took less the 5 mins to solve and my interview was over.
Interviews are supposed to last 30 mins, and most in my group did last that long. Mine was about 15 mins, and I got such a relaxed cool tutor - I've heard that my experience is a little unusual.
But thats the structure of your day - your interview will relaxed to an extent and you'll get a couple of maths questions which they don't expect you to know, but will want you to expalin your thought process and will help you out with hints. Thats the most important part - explain what your thinking!
hello, can you tell me about what kind of mathmatics question does it ask?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending