The Student Room Group

Should I go on the pill?

I'm getting really fed up of being in bed for two days because my period is heavy and makes me feel so ill, and every time I have something on and I know that I'm due on my period, I spend the whole month worried about it! Is there a pill that can stop periods or make them easier to deal with? Also, are they easy to swallow? I struggle to swallow tablets unless they're small ones =(

Am I able to get them from Lloyds Pharmacy or somewhere? Because I'm in uni, and don't want to switch doctors from home, because they're fantastic, but it would be a hassle to go home every time a pill check etc is due.

Thanks
Reply 1
Original post by Potato456
I'm getting really fed up of being in bed for two days because my period is heavy and makes me feel so ill, and every time I have something on and I know that I'm due on my period, I spend the whole month worried about it! Is there a pill that can stop periods or make them easier to deal with? Also, are they easy to swallow? I struggle to swallow tablets unless they're small ones =(

Am I able to get them from Lloyds Pharmacy or somewhere? Because I'm in uni, and don't want to switch doctors from home, because they're fantastic, but it would be a hassle to go home every time a pill check etc is due.

Thanks

You need to have a prescription to access the pill. You really should get a doctor at uni. You can get it from your local sexual health clinic. They will be able to advise you about other forms of hormonal contraception that could help.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2

Thanks

What about it is most 'bothersome' - pain or the bleeding? If its the pain, its not recommended to go on the pill. Theres other things like tranexamic tablets available which I think you'll be able to get over the counter. If that doesn't work, try Ibuprofen. If that doesn't work, they'll put you on the pill. But its still worth seeing the GP. If you don't want to switch GPs, look for a local walk in centre, Google it - they are very good and should phone you and let you know exactly when to come so your not waiting around.
Some pills can make your period worse in some ways.
Reply 4
Original post by Tiger Rag
Some pills can make your period worse in some ways.

Oh gosh, that would be the last thing I need! Any ones in particular?
Oh gosh, that would be the last thing I need! Any ones in particular?

It varies from female to female. I'm currently taking Cerazette because my periods give me migraine. I don't get period related migraines any more. However, I'm now getting periods every 2 weeks. But unlike you, I wasn't having serious issues (other than migraine) in relation to my periods.
You can try and find a sexual health clinic close by. I went on the pill and loved it because it regulated my periods.

I take the tablet for three weeks (they're tiny and I don't even need water to swallow them) then have a pill free week. I usually come on on the Wednesday evening or overnight and I'll be off by Monday when I start the next packet. It's great!

Obviously it will be slightly different for everyone but you can always try it.

I noticed my skin was breaking out so much worse/more than before so I went back to my doctor and they switched me to a different pill. I've had no problems with this one.

Good Luck:smile: It is always better to go to the doctors though!!
It's most likely that the pill will affect your bleeding more than the pain. If the heavy bleeding bothers you then the pill can really help with that. In my experience it hasn't reduced my pain at all, but a doctor can prescribe specific painkillers for that.
Reply 8
I'm also considering the pill but don't really know. Sometimes it's absolutely fine and i feel no pain whats so ever, sometimes there's a bit of pain and sometime there's loads, i've even blacked out a few times and have to miss school sometimes which is a pain. So i don't know if i should go on the pill as i'm never always uncomfortable.

Quick Reply

Latest