The Student Room Group

periods during gcse exams??

HELP ME GUYS i’ve acc just realised that i may be having my period on or around some of the days i sit an exam and my periods are so bad… like i get ibs when im on it and terrible cramps and how am i gonna get the best grades possible if im genuinely tweaking trying to maintain composure😨😨😨😨. has anyone else had this problem and what am i gonna do when it happens??? do i ask invigilators for extra time? is that even allowed if i dont have like a medical note or something?
Original post by iluvchem321
HELP ME GUYS i’ve acc just realised that i may be having my period on or around some of the days i sit an exam and my periods are so bad… like i get ibs when im on it and terrible cramps and how am i gonna get the best grades possible if im genuinely tweaking trying to maintain composure😨😨😨😨. has anyone else had this problem and what am i gonna do when it happens??? do i ask invigilators for extra time? is that even allowed if i dont have like a medical note or something?
do pain killers help at all?

If painkillers don't work, it might be worth booking a GP appointment because they can prescribe things that can help :hugs:
Heyy I had similar issues and I was wondering whether you've tried buscopan? I was on my period during the week that I had the most exams and it was a LIFE SAVER. Also no, you unfortunately can't ask the invigilators for extra time. You have to apply for access arrangements. I am not entirely sure but speaking to your school's SEN coordinator could be helpful to see if there's anything they can do? I have also heard of medication that can delay your periods, so that could be an option? Also, what painkillers do you normally take on your period?
Reply 4
hallloooo, dw it's perfectly normal💙💙 just remember to change before your exams and take painkillers because I doubt they will give you extra time
Reply 5
Original post by scar-the-queen
Heyy I had similar issues and I was wondering whether you've tried buscopan? I was on my period during the week that I had the most exams and it was a LIFE SAVER. Also no, you unfortunately can't ask the invigilators for extra time. You have to apply for access arrangements. I am not entirely sure but speaking to your school's SEN coordinator could be helpful to see if there's anything they can do? I have also heard of medication that can delay your periods, so that could be an option? Also, what painkillers do you normally take on your period?
hiiii thanks for replying ,, i normally don’t take painkillers 😭😭😭 maybe paracetamol if i genuinely cannot move . would i have to get the medication prescribed by my gp?
Reply 6
honestly not really 😞 sometimes i can dealt with the pain but it’s mostly the ibs symptoms that are so annoying. like ill need to use the toilet every 5 minutes and my stomach will be doing backflips and gurgling in the exam hall🧍*♀️
(edited 2 months ago)
Reply 7
Original post by scar-the-queen
omg i just searched up buscopan and ur a lifesaver im getting those immediately!!!!!! thanks so much
Reply 8
if you know that your periods are bad and the predictions are accurate it may be worth considering going on the pill to have your cycle not obstruct your exams? sorry ur going through this
Reply 9
Original post by hiabsotd
if you know that your periods are bad and the predictions are accurate it may be worth considering going on the pill to have your cycle not obstruct your exams? sorry ur going through this
thanks for ur reply 🙏🙏 but honestly im terrified of the pill (and i doubt my mum would let me take it), the side effects are so long and scary and im scared it’ll mess up my cycle. if u take it, what are ur experiences with it? do u recommend?
thanks for ur reply 🙏🙏 but honestly im terrified of the pill (and i doubt my mum would let me take it), the side effects are so long and scary and im scared it’ll mess up my cycle. if u take it, what are ur experiences with it? do u recommend?
My period cramps were really bad when I was in year 11. I was throwing up on day one which meant every month I had to miss one day of school. This went on for about half a year because I wouldn’t be able to physically move. I was missing out on education. My mom was worried that this would happen during my GCSEs. So she took me to the doctor after being given pain pills it didn’t work so as a last resort it was the pill. It’s been two years and I haven’t vomited on my period since! In terms of side effects your doctor should know which one to give you that would be best for you. Mt doctor came me the mini pill which is “better” rather than combined. In terms of side effects I’m one of the lucky ones as I’ve experienced none in my two years. Even my acne was the same becahse i have acne prone skin I just had to use antibiotics , my weight flunctuated on the scale a it should but physically my body was healthy. It’s really up to you if you want to be on the pill but for me it was a literal academic life saver and I’m about to sit my a levels in two months !

If you’re really against the pill I’ve had to sit mocks during my period and really it’s tough and it took a lot of mentality. I was always saying to myself I have to “push through” and to “keep writing”. Drink water. The invigilators are really helpful as well one of them noticed I was struggling and asked me if I wanted to go to medical but I decided not to because I wanted to wait till I finished my paper then ended up throwing up an hour later. But if your pain is really unberarable there can be special circumstances as it hinders your performance so let the invigilator know
(edited 2 months ago)
omg i just searched up buscopan and ur a lifesaver im getting those immediately!!!!!! thanks so much
no problem!!
Original post by rrstar
My period cramps were really bad when I was in year 11. I was throwing up on day one which meant every month I had to miss one day of school. This went on for about half a year because I wouldn’t be able to physically move. I was missing out on education. My mom was worried that this would happen during my GCSEs. So she took me to the doctor after being given pain pills it didn’t work so as a last resort it was the pill. It’s been two years and I haven’t vomited on my period since! In terms of side effects your doctor should know which one to give you that would be best for you. Mt doctor came me the mini pill which is “better” rather than combined. In terms of side effects I’m one of the lucky ones as I’ve experienced none in my two years. Even my acne was the same becahse i have acne prone skin I just had to use antibiotics , my weight flunctuated on the scale a it should but physically my body was healthy. It’s really up to you if you want to be on the pill but for me it was a literal academic life saver and I’m about to sit my a levels in two months !

If you’re really against the pill I’ve had to sit mocks during my period and really it’s tough and it took a lot of mentality. I was always saying to myself I have to “push through” and to “keep writing”. Drink water. The invigilators are really helpful as well one of them noticed I was struggling and asked me if I wanted to go to medical but I decided not to because I wanted to wait till I finished my paper then ended up throwing up an hour later. But if your pain is really unberarable there can be special circumstances as it hinders your performance so let the invigilator know
omg i’m so sorry u went through that but it’s good to know u had such a good experience!! i’ll consider it and good luck on ur a levels!

Quick Reply

Latest