The Student Room Group

Smoothness in traffic

Basically got a problem with being smooth in traffic, say when theres a queue and it suddenly starts moving, no matter how careful i lift up the clutch and try rev matching it always seems to want to bunnyhop.

Also when the queue starts flowing at speed, I'm too high revs for 1st, I change to 2nd then the car seems to struggle, ofc I can't put anymore revs on otherwise the car would speed up but if I go to 1st my cars screaming again.

It's a 1.4 engine.

I'm just wondering what everyone else does in these situations, its really bugging me coming back from work :/
Reply 1
I have the same problem sometimes, there's just a certain speed level that I just can't find the sweet spot for in between first and second gear,
What car do you have?
Reply 2
Fiesta mk6, it's so annoying, its as if the gear bands aren't right, im sure theres a knack to it though.
Personally I'll keep it in 1st up to about 2k RPMs, if it looks like traffic will keep moving then I'll put it in 2nd and go from there really. Even if I end up slowing down a bit I keep it in second until I'm sitting just above idle RPMs.
Though I drive a diesel so it's easier to get away with low RPMs.

Really, you need to know the difference between what the car can do, and what you think it can do.
Reply 4
I listen to the engine rather than looking at the revs. You can usually tell when the car begins whining that its time to change up
I remember my old 2000 Peugeot 206 used to have a netherzone between 1st and 2nd gear that meant if you were going at a certain speed it was a tough choice between a jumpy change to first or a grumbly change to 2nd, just had to pick which one was most appropriate for the situation and accept the discomfort :lol:

As for the slow moving traffic, if it's flat ground then it's totally fine to just move off on the clutch alone without any revs which, if done gradually and smoothly, should be free of bunnyhops. It'll be a pretty slow move-off but in queues I'm sure that won't matter.
Reply 6
Thanks for the replies,

It just seems to struggle if I have it in 2nd at speed, if I change to 1st it tries engine braking, so frustrating!
It's always difficult to find the right rev range at certain speeds, unfortunately there's little you can do about it. Near me I have a 20 mph speed limit - it's the top of 2nd and the bottom of 3rd for me. Maybe try backing off the accelerator a bit when starting, but again, driving in 1st it's stupidly easy to bunnyhop. Keep your accelerator food dead still!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending