The Student Room Group

Is there really a point in GCSEs

Do you agree in the existence of GCSEs or not? I personally think they should be scrapped and replaced with specific admissions tests for each A-level but still keep a form of basic English and Maths proficiency test
Original post by kieran12321LFC
Do you agree in the existence of GCSEs or not? I personally think they should be scrapped and replaced with specific admissions tests for each A-level but still keep a form of basic English and Maths proficiency test

To be honest, I find that GCSE'S and even A levels are just testing your memory and not your knowledge.
Original post by cookiemonster15
To be honest, I find that GCSE'S and even A levels are just testing your memory and not your knowledge.

I think GCSEs are so basic in their level of depth that having them as qualifications is pointless. I also think that there should be fewer A level questions on test papers that require much more thought like STEP for example
Yep, scrap it all.
I got mostly B's in my GCSEs and have offers from top universities. They really don't mean anything.
Reply 5
Good idea. A broad education is important, but regular teacher-based assessment should be sufficient at this level. I think the IB middle years programme (Y7-Y11) works like that and it hasn't fallen apart yet. So much money and teaching time could be saved.

IMO There's really no need for national examinations at GCSE level except in English and Maths (and those only because they currently can be dropped at 16). If you want to do some quality control (always a good idea), you can just test random samples of pupils; you don't need to nationally examine every single one of them.

Keep national exams for A-Levels.
I think GCSEs are a decent way of rewarding effort. Lots of the people who do well in GCSEs are the people who put up with years of complete sh*t throughout secondary school from other kids, and when the hard worker gets n A's/A*'s and the lazy, obnoxious bully can spell 'fudge' with their results, it's a nice kind of justice. Without something at the end of secondary school, the reward for working hard and spending years being targeted by the scummiest people around for being interested is even more distant, which could be quite demotivating.
Original post by Star Light
I think GCSEs are a decent way of rewarding effort. Lots of the people who do well in GCSEs are the people who put up with years of complete sh*t throughout secondary school from other kids, and when the hard worker gets n A's/A*'s and the lazy, obnoxious bully can spell 'fudge' with their results, it's a nice kind of justice. Without something at the end of secondary school, the reward for working hard and spending years being targeted by the scummiest people around for being interested is even more distant, which could be quite demotivating.

That's an interesting but pretty good argument!
GCSEs taught me to get my sh** together for A level, lol. So perhaps they are useful :biggrin:
Original post by Student403
GCSEs taught me to get my sh** together for A level, lol. So perhaps they are useful :biggrin:

They did the opposite for me and caused me to fail pretty much all of my a-levels, relatively speaking, the first time around.

I knew GCSEs were piss. Didn't revise at all for them and messed around all year. Got nothing under a C. Did the same for a-levels, got nothing over a C first time around.
Original post by TorpidPhil
They did the opposite for me and caused me to fail pretty much all of my a-levels, relatively speaking, the first time around.

I knew GCSEs were piss. Didn't revise at all for them and messed around all year. Got nothing under a C. Did the same for a-levels, got nothing over a C first time around.

Hmm interesting :0
Original post by Student403

Don't try it, you are American.
Original post by Ya Dunno gawd
Don't try it, you are American.

I'm British and American
It's all memory-based.
Not fair to the people who have bad memory, like me.
GCSEs are not all memory they are also based on the quality of written communication particularly subjects such as english and like everything else GCSEs are a vital stepping stone towards A-levels you can't go in to detail with out knowing the basics that would be absolutely idiotic. GCSEs are also a good way of preparing pupils for examinations much like SATs in primary school.
They do appear quite simple. I was able to do mediocrely well with minimal teaching.

I think national standards are important but they are useless qualifications imo bar the core subjects for those not academically inclined.
all forms of academia are useless once you start your career. the only use for academia is to help you start your career.
No, most people outside of tsr find them challenging and study pretty hard.

I cant remember but I think the nationwide modal grade is a c.
The head of the CBI said last June that he wanted GCSEs to be scrapped "by the end of this parliament".
Reply 19
Original post by bethanylunn1999
GCSEs are not all memory they are also based on the quality of written communication particularly subjects such as english and like everything else GCSEs are a vital stepping stone towards A-levels you can't go in to detail with out knowing the basics that would be absolutely idiotic. GCSEs are also a good way of preparing pupils for examinations much like SATs in primary school.

Nobody is advocating to stop teaching and learning.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending