The Student Room Group

Should I take Latin gcse?

I'm not planning into getting into a science-based field, but I'm quite curious as to how it would be.
It's an extra gcse after school and I'm willing to put in the effort, I'm not the best at english lit, but I don't want to regret not taking it, as I'm planning to go into oxbridge and, yes quality over quantity, but it might be interesting for me.
I think the exam board is eduqas

Any advice on picking latin?
Reply 1
Original post by *LifeHappens*
I'm not planning into getting into a science-based field, but I'm quite curious as to how it would be.
It's an extra gcse after school and I'm willing to put in the effort, I'm not the best at english lit, but I don't want to regret not taking it, as I'm planning to go into oxbridge and, yes quality over quantity, but it might be interesting for me.
I think the exam board is eduqas

Any advice on picking latin?

Depends on the exam board but at my school they gave you the list of words that came up and it's only a few thousand to learn which is pretty good. Also no speaking exam which is a great benefit!
Unless you plan to do Classics as a degree, I wouldn't bother.
Reply 3
Original post by _user_
Depends on the exam board but at my school they gave you the list of words that came up and it's only a few thousand to learn which is pretty good. Also no speaking exam which is a great benefit!

Thanks for the reply! I checked the spec and they do give a vocab list for all the sections and papers, and I do hate speaking exams for languages.
I'm already doing a gcse language now, but latin is just for an extra
Reply 4
Original post by PinkMobilePhone
Unless you plan to do Classics as a degree, I wouldn't bother.

Thanks for your reply, I'm planning on taking maths further in university, so latin isn't applicable really, but I kind of want to do it, because a) it might stick out as an interest on uni applications and b) I want to see if I'm interested in it
Thanks for your reply, I'm planning on taking maths further in university, so latin isn't applicable really, but I kind of want to do it, because a) it might stick out as an interest on uni applications and b) I want to see if I'm interested in it

Your point a) isn't applicable - that's not how university admissions work. Your point b) is relevant if you think you may want to do it and continue with it to a classics degree or similar.
Reply 6
Original post by artful_lounger
Your point a) isn't applicable - that's not how university admissions work. Your point b) is relevant if you think you may want to do it and continue with it to a classics degree or similar.

Thanks for the reply; it's quite an old language, which means it isn't really usable in media or just with speaking to people, it also has quite a bit of history, which I may or may not find boring. And seeing as I'm a person for maths, not really classics or anything, it might not be a match I guess.
I'm also planning to take further maths and triple science, so I don't know if I can handle the workload, and obviously, high grades are more valuable than more gcses
Thanks for the reply; it's quite an old language, which means it isn't really usable in media or just with speaking to people, it also has quite a bit of history, which I may or may not find boring. And seeing as I'm a person for maths, not really classics or anything, it might not be a match I guess.
I'm also planning to take further maths and triple science, so I don't know if I can handle the workload, and obviously, high grades are more valuable than more gcses

My latter point is not that you need to convince me (I skipped right over Latin and went directly into Greek and Sanskrit so I'm very into ancient languages :tongue: ) but that you need to decide for yourself! There are plenty of good reasons to study an ancient language; there are also plenty of good reasons not to. I think there are also lots of not-so-good reasons to study (or not study) an ancient language too - case in point, the mistaken belief you had that university admissions staff will somehow see that as preferential to any other GCSE subject (which they will not). So it's something to think about for yourself really and figure out what suits you best :smile:
Reply 8
My latter point is not that you need to convince me (I skipped right over Latin and went directly into Greek and Sanskrit so I'm very into ancient languages :tongue: ) but that you need to decide for yourself! There are plenty of good reasons to study an ancient language; there are also plenty of good reasons not to. I think there are also lots of not-so-good reasons to study (or not study) an ancient language too - case in point, the mistaken belief you had that university admissions staff will somehow see that as preferential to any other GCSE subject (which they will not). So it's something to think about for yourself really and figure out what suits you best :smile:

Right ok; I'm not too much a person for languages, so I might not pick it, because, yes I would be able to commit, but I'd rather spend my energy on other subjects like cores which will affect things like entry requirements for unis, rather than extras that I have no prior experience in and I will not take further into university.
I still haven't fully decided, but that's my train of though mostly.
Right ok; I'm not too much a person for languages, so I might not pick it, because, yes I would be able to commit, but I'd rather spend my energy on other subjects like cores which will affect things like entry requirements for unis, rather than extras that I have no prior experience in and I will not take further into university.
I still haven't fully decided, but that's my train of though mostly.

Probably sensible. Also remember your actual GCSE subject choices don't matter and universities don't care which subjects you choose, as the only subjects they are specifically interested in are either a) national curriculum subjects you have to take anyway or b) subjects which are necessary prerequisites for A-levels that are a prerequisite for the degree you are applying to (mostly language subjects). So GCSE is also a good time to pick options for things you enjoy a lot, but aren't going to continue with, and that you are confident you can do well in :smile:
Probably sensible. Also remember your actual GCSE subject choices don't matter and universities don't care which subjects you choose, as the only subjects they are specifically interested in are either a) national curriculum subjects you have to take anyway or b) subjects which are necessary prerequisites for A-levels that are a prerequisite for the degree you are applying to (mostly language subjects). So GCSE is also a good time to pick options for things you enjoy a lot, but aren't going to continue with, and that you are confident you can do well in :smile:

I agree with you, gcses are pretty much the only flexible way to do subjects you enjoy, even if they aren't related to the career you want to do, because after that it's narrowed down to a levels and then uni degrees and stuff
Thanks for your guidance, though, I appreciate it!

Quick Reply

Latest