The Student Room Group

How do med schools compare your GCSE results to other applicants'?

Hi, I'm an aspiring med student currently in Y12. I have a query regarding GCSE results for med school.

KCL uses a point system where 8+ A* scored is 40 but they state that the GCSE points given for an applicant is based on their GCSE school's performance. Therefore, my question is how does this system really work? Do they look at the school's performance specifically and, if so, how do they do this?

My GCSE results: 9 8 8 8 8 8 8 7 7

I went to a poor performing school (at both GCSE and A-level) - ranked inadequate/requires improvement by Ofsted throughout all the years I attended.
Reply 1
They will look to see what your performance was relative to the performance at your school.

If you are English based there are datasets which allow them to do this.

I know not KCL but KMMS also contextualise against school outcomes and they have a useful description on their website under application process.

It goes on behind the scenes. If England based you won't have to do anything else.
Reply 2
Original post by GGIN
They will look to see what your performance was relative to the performance at your school.

If you are English based there are datasets which allow them to do this.

I know not KCL but KMMS also contextualise against school outcomes and they have a useful description on their website under application process.

It goes on behind the scenes. If England based you won't have to do anything else.

Makes sense! Thank you :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending