The Student Room Group
Hmm, Well, Basically, Miller uses Salem's downfall to portray the dangers of unchecked hysteria and how such can prove catastrophic to society. His play 'The Crucible' therefore Is a direct attack at McCarthyist political ideology which reigned during the time of the plays' publication.
Reply 2
Id Focus on John Proctor as a character as most themes run through him, Themes we studied were Loyalty [Him and Elizabeth and to his friends, Elizabeth lieing for him], Courage [His Confession and Sacrfice, Mary Warrens Lack of Courage, Rebecca Nurses Courage in her relationship] and his Flaws and their consequences[Affair with Abigail, Threatening Mary Warren to take the blame instead].

Also The Good Vs Evil theme with Elizabeth being the symbol of good and Abigail been the symbol of evil...

I need help on this too.

Key Scenes - Courtroom Scene [Turning Point where Johns moral value for Justice outweighs his concern for his name], Confession Scene [Climax, where John final forgives himself and sacrfices himself to save Salem.]
Reply 3
Have a look at sparknotes? :smile: (though don't memorise them and copy them word for word or anything like that!)
Reply 4
Heh, I've spent a few hours this morning actually READING this play properly. And I've come up with pretty much the same themes as Cirrus: loyalty, reputation and/or name, the effects of hysteria.

The main thing I would want to write about in the exam would be something along the lines of how Proctor was so commited to doing the "right thing" and not lying, that he was prepared to die for it. He'd rather die a good man than live a lie.

Quotes:
"I see now your spirit twists around the single error of my life, and I will never set it free" - John Proctor to Elizabeth

"I have given you my soul, leave me my name" - John Proctor, when accused of witchery.

"He have his goodness now, God forbid I take it away" - Said when Proctor takes back his admittance to witchery. Shows that people respect him for doing the right thing and not lying to save his life.

Latest

Trending

Trending