The Student Room Group

Revision help and websites

Hello everyone, I am currently studying A level English Literature, politics and philosophy and ethics(RE).
It would be really helpful if there are any revision tips and websites to help my revision as well as how to get A and A* in these subjects.I am in year 12 and have no idea how long to be revising so that I don’t get burnt and so that I don’t get below a B. It would be really helpful if people who have any tips regarding my concerns to reply.
Thank you.
Original post by Mrssucessful
Hello everyone, I am currently studying A level English Literature, politics and philosophy and ethics(RE).
It would be really helpful if there are any revision tips and websites to help my revision as well as how to get A and A* in these subjects.I am in year 12 and have no idea how long to be revising so that I don’t get burnt and so that I don’t get below a B. It would be really helpful if people who have any tips regarding my concerns to reply.
Thank you.
Hey, for politics i would recommend getting a study guide and watch politics explained videos as they explain everything and provide the case studies as well. Also, i would focus your revision on summary's in the form of mind maps but overall the most important thing is essay plans!!
Original post by hdikelawlor15
Thank you.
Hey, for politics i would recommend getting a study guide and watch politics explained videos as they explain everything and provide the case studies as well. Also, i would focus your revision on summary's in the form of mind maps but overall the most important thing is essay plans!!

Thank you so much
Reply 3
Thank you.

Hi, I study English Literature and what I find very helpful is YouTube videos that go over your novel and play, that you’re studying e.g. Frankenstein and The Crucible. And in addition to that any past paper questions you have answered and gotten a mark back from, at the end of the lesson ask your teacher on how and where you can improve your essay so that you are getting into the top marks. If I’m not wrong this year your exams are all closed book except poetry, so what you need to also focus on is gathering a good set of quotes (that can be used for any type of question the exam will ask for) for the main characters or themes in the novel and the play you are studying.
Original post by x.k.z.x

Hi, I study English Literature and what I find very helpful is YouTube videos that go over your novel and play, that you’re studying e.g. Frankenstein and The Crucible. And in addition to that any past paper questions you have answered and gotten a mark back from, at the end of the lesson ask your teacher on how and where you can improve your essay so that you are getting into the top marks. If I’m not wrong this year your exams are all closed book except poetry, so what you need to also focus on is gathering a good set of quotes (that can be used for any type of question the exam will ask for) for the main characters or themes in the novel and the play you are studying.

Thank you
Hi Mrsuccessful,

I'm not a student in the fields you have mentioned, although I do take sociology modules which have some overlaps with some of the disciplines you have mentioned. On top of the wonderful advice from the commenters above, I'd suggest you have a look at Internet Archive, which is a wonderful source of free books and articles online, and Google Scholar is also a good place to start. These have the additional benefit of being able to reference these sources as they tend to be reputable academic sources, although I'm not sure how much referencing is needed in your fields of study at A-level. Additionally, watching YouTube videos, like the Crash Course channel (which is an overarching channel as it incorporates more sciences), has aided my understanding a lot in grasping theories or thinkers, which I expect is important in philosophy and to some extent in politics as well.

As an even more general advice, I would look into what type of learner you have a tendency to be? Are you learning best with visual, auditory, kinaesthetic or written material, or maybe a mixture of some or all of them? This is important in my opinion in order to use whatever time you have/carve out for studying the most effective, because you are taking in knowledge in a way that makes sense for you. Of course, the more - and more complex - concepts and topics you have to take in, the longer and more effortful it will be, but it's possible to learn more with an ideal method for you in a shorter period of time than struggling with ways that just don't work for you. This also applies to the time if day you are taking on the quest of studying. I know for people with fixed schedules they can't change it is a no choice situation, but if possible, people should be studying at the times when they are most alert, focused and energized. There are tests online for both the learning styles and which time of day you are functioning best, so you can easily find out if you want to/don't know already. For example, if you are a visual type, making mind maps, using colours (which tends to be helpful in any learning) or having pictures/drawing something on the page can help recall immensely.

Please don't hesitate if you have any more questions, and I wish you the best with your academic progression. =)

Viki
3rd year Psychology and Sociology Student
Thank you for taking the time and writing this advice I really appreciate it and I will be taking a look at those websites you have mentioned and I will let you know if I have any questions in the future.
Reply 7
Thank you.

If you want to practice english literature A-Levels, you can use this tool: https://www.tilf.io.

The way it works is simple: you add in the question, select the mark scheme and start typing your answer and it gives you feedback on what to improve and the grade based on the exam board you chose. Then you just keep improving the essay until you get the grade you want.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending