The Student Room Group

What is alevel french like?

Hi
Can anyone give me an insight into alevel french and what it is like? I.e The workload and the types of homework you get and what homework you got at the start of your course? What type of work do you do and what do you learn about?. Do you enjoy it? Also does anyone have any french resources i.e magazines they don't want that you would be willing to post to me?
Basically, the theory is, if you tolerated the GCSE content then A-Level should be fine for you. Honestly, I think its easier than other A-Levels, despite being a big step from GCSE, due to the fact that its all about knowing the vocab and condensing this in the exam! :smile: I love french and hence im doing it for A-Level, im near fluent and therefore I dont hope for any difficulty heading my way! If you enjoy it, find it easy then there should be no objections diverted towards you! GOOD LUCK :smile:
It's pretty easy in that it's not too exigeant in the long-term, so you can put more time into other subjects. But it's painfully boring, unless you're interested in energy, pollution, immigration, l'égalité des sexes, le monde du travail etc
Reply 3
i disagree with the above posts. IMHO, french AS requires a lot more work than my other subjects (maths, further maths, physics). I spend A LOT of time learning vocab and i feel like you are expected to be at a higher level in french compared to your other subjects in order to achieve the same grade. with that being said, it is my favourite subject. personally, i dont find the topics boring at all. On edexcel you chose a topic (la santé, l'environnement, les jeunes, l'éducation et le travail) for your oral exam and some of the questions can genuinely spark an interesting discussion. some sample questions many include;
what do you think of blank packaging on cigarettes?
do you think cannobis should be legalised?
is the government doing enough to combat global warming?
homework wise, the majority in my class is learning vocab that has been uploaded onto Quizlet (a great site, check it out) and practicing tenses/doing small writing tasks. however, as the year has gone on, homework has become less structured; more of a 'you know what you need to practice'.
feel free to ask me any further questions.
My school do the ocr course
Original post by Gilo98
i disagree with the above posts. IMHO, french AS requires a lot more work than my other subjects (maths, further maths, physics). I spend A LOT of time learning vocab and i feel like you are expected to be at a higher level in french compared to your other subjects in order to achieve the same grade. with that being said, it is my favourite subject. personally, i dont find the topics boring at all. On edexcel you chose a topic (la santé, l'environnement, les jeunes, l'éducation et le travail) for your oral exam and some of the questions can genuinely spark an interesting discussion. some sample questions many include;
what do you think of blank packaging on cigarettes?
do you think cannobis should be legalised?
is the government doing enough to combat global warming?
homework wise, the majority in my class is learning vocab that has been uploaded onto Quizlet (a great site, check it out) and practicing tenses/doing small writing tasks. however, as the year has gone on, homework has become less structured; more of a 'you know what you need to practice'.
feel free to ask me any further questions.

The way I see it is: if you're naturally strong in French (or any language), you don't need to put as much work in. People that say they have to work a lot for French to get good grades, I think the extra work is just compensation for their lack of natural ability in the language.

It's really not that hard. In Psychology I have to learn lots of new theories, treatments, debates etc, you have to be able to describe and evaluate numerous studies.. doing all of that actually requires effort and time. You can't learn all of it in a short space of time

It's the opposite with French for me. I just seem to pick grammar up, so that requires no work. Writing essays and speaking about topics really requires no effort, you're not expected to do much like, realistically, a **** superficial essay in good French that has both sides of an argument is likely to get full marks. You can cram vocab in the last few weeks.

French is a subject for which listening to music and watching films is considered revision :lol: If you like the language and have an ability to some extent in it, French is a doss A-level.

Admittedly now at A2 there is more work required to get top marks, but it's not the same as Human Biology and Psychology. In the two others, I have to keep up with the content as we cover it in lessons, I have to do notes after each lesson and attempt past questions and continually revise for tests.. you can just never revise enough. With French I just work in short bursts. I do an essay and get it marked, then I pick key ideas out of it and put it into note form. Then I do something different the next week i.e. some quick notes on a topic, or a prose translation practice.
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending