The Student Room Group

should i pick french, spanish or both for gcse?

I really need help deciding weather i should choice french or Spanish for my GCSE! Or should i do both?

i am not very good at languages and i find french a very beautiful but hard language in terms of grammar. I am willing to put in the hard work but i am looking for very good grades in yr 11.

I am currently in yr 9 so i have time but i am not sure if it will be too hard. i have seen others in the same situation but they usually want to further peruse languages later in life. i do not.

I find Spanish quite easy and i also really like it. but i am willing to take any advise.

Thank you.
(edited 2 months ago)
Reply 1
i did Spanish at gcse and found it fairly easy compared to my peers who did French. If you want to get a good grade then definitely go for Spanish as it is much easier than French. I would say pick only one if you don’t want to do them later on at alevels or in the future.
Reply 2
Original post by aimeeen
I really need help deciding weather i should choice french or Spanish for my GCSE! Or should i do both?

i am not very good at languages and i find french a very beautiful but hard language in terms of grammar. I am willing to put in the hard work but i am looking for very good grades in yr 11.

I am currently in yr 9 so i have time but i am not sure if it will be too hard. i have seen others in the same situation but they usually want to further peruse languages later in life. i do not.

I find Spanish quite easy and i also really like it. but i am willing to take any advise.

Thank you.

I am currently in year 11 doing both french and german. I highly recommend two languages at GCSE as your exam technique gets so much better and you end up doing less revision for them as the exa structure is literally the same. In year 9 i was ok at both but not particularly good at either but now I am very good at both with minimal work. I never wanted to peruse languages but now i want to take german for a-level along with stem subjects as it looks really good on uni and job applications.

Quick Reply

Latest