The Student Room Group

Study Biology A-level online?

Does anyone know of any good providers?
Original post by Captain Jack
Does anyone know of any good providers?

You'll probably have to register for the exams and cw yourself.

I would recommend an evening class or a tutor as in my experience, online correspondence courses are pricey and not worth it.

Or have I misunderstood and you're after free resources? :colondollar:
Original post by Kvothe the arcane
You'll probably have to register for the exams and cw yourself.

I would recommend an evening class or a tutor as in my experience, online correspondence courses are pricey and not worth it.

Or have I misunderstood and you're after free resources? :colondollar:

You've understood perfectly :smile:

Thanks for the advice. That makes sense, perhaps I should start at a local college to see if they offer evening or weekend classes.

Not sure I'll definitely do it yet, but I have become increasingly interested in biology and it feels like an interesting thing to do (with a benefit of a grade at the end).
You've understood perfectly :smile:

Thanks for the advice. That makes sense, perhaps I should start at a local college to see if they offer evening or weekend classes.

Not sure I'll definitely do it yet, but I have become increasingly interested in biology and it feels like an interesting thing to do (with a benefit of a grade at the end).

How are you planning on using the A-level?

I'd say Biology is a pretty easy A-level to self-teach (relatively), that's pretty much what I do being as I can't concentrate in the lessons, good luck if you happen to go ahead with it ! The only thing is, with the new reformed A-levels, Biology is so much more annoying. You have to do a lot of practicals and the way the papers are set out is weird
Original post by rileystringer1
How are you planning on using the A-level?

I'd say Biology is a pretty easy A-level to self-teach (relatively), that's pretty much what I do being as I can't concentrate in the lessons, good luck if you happen to go ahead with it ! The only thing is, with the new reformed A-levels, Biology is so much more annoying. You have to do a lot of practicals and the way the papers are set out is weird

Interesting, thanks. So it could be self taught except for the practical bits?

I'm studying horticulture with the RHS, which includes modules on the biology of plants. It's interested me so much that I like the idea of continuing this study and potentially doing a second degree in plant biology.

Not definite yet as I work full time, so time and cost is an issue. However, now that I've found something in education I absolutely love, I'd miss not pushing myself further.
Interesting, thanks. So it could be self taught except for the practical bits?

I'm studying horticulture with the RHS, which includes modules on the biology of plants. It's interested me so much that I like the idea of continuing this study and potentially doing a second degree in plant biology.

Not definite yet as I work full time, so time and cost is an issue. However, now that I've found something in education I absolutely love, I'd miss not pushing myself further.

Oh fair enough, definitely do it if you're interested in it and can find the time, it can't hurt to have another qualification after all. An hour a day would be enough for studying, or a few hours on the weekend. I don't know what A-levels you did but KhanAcademy videos on YouTube are really helpful for Biology, especially if you're self-teaching, it's pretty much like having a teacher for free that you can rewind, pause etc.
Original post by rileystringer1
Oh fair enough, definitely do it if you're interested in it and can find the time, it can't hurt to have another qualification after all. An hour a day would be enough for studying, or a few hours on the weekend. I don't know what A-levels you did but KhanAcademy videos on YouTube are really helpful for Biology, especially if you're self-teaching, it's pretty much like having a teacher for free that you can rewind, pause etc.

Blimey, thanks the Khan Academy has tonnes on there! That looks like interesting viewing regardless. Thanks very much for all of your advice.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending