The Student Room Group

I want to do A Levels again

I done two years of sixth form but my subjects didnt include Chem Biology. When I was choosing my subjects after GCSE i didnt really want to go to uni, or even study medicine at all. But now that ive done my A Levels got AAB and in my gap year so far realised I do want to go uni, I want to do A Levels again from scratch, but this time studying alone at home, I wanna do Chem, Biology and another subject. How can I do this? Will I still be able to keep my 3 A Levels and have 6 at the end? Whats the best way to go about this that also saves me money? I know about the Access to HE but tbh id rather do A Levels as a private student since it gives me more options
Reply 1
To clarify, are you intending to study medicine?
Reply 2
Original post by Sinnoh
To clarify, are you intending to study medicine?

yes
Reply 3
Original post by na1050
yes

For medicine, some unis won't accept students who have re-taken A-levels so check their entry requirements. You'd also probably need to get some work experience in a medical setting.

Chemistry and biology A-levels will have a practical component that you're required to pass, so it's unlikely you'd just be able to study them entirely at home. You might need to attend a further education college for that.
Reply 4
Original post by Sinnoh
For medicine, some unis won't accept students who have re-taken A-levels so check their entry requirements. You'd also probably need to get some work experience in a medical setting.

Chemistry and biology A-levels will have a practical component that you're required to pass, so it's unlikely you'd just be able to study them entirely at home. You might need to attend a further education college for that.

For the first part, Ill be doing A levels that I never did before so would it still be retaking? I mean im doing new ones from scratch so in the end Id have 6 different A Levels. So would this be a issue for Unis?

For the second part, I mean I dont mind of course doing practical parts in a school but im pretty sure an A Level can be studied entirely online since private students do it and theres a number of online sites that teach A Level completely, or am i wrong?
Reply 5
Original post by na1050
For the first part, Ill be doing A levels that I never did before so would it still be retaking? I mean im doing new ones from scratch so in the end Id have 6 different A Levels. So would this be a issue for Unis?

For the second part, I mean I dont mind of course doing practical parts in a school but im pretty sure an A Level can be studied entirely online since private students do it and theres a number of online sites that teach A Level completely, or am i wrong?

Not sure on the first part. Email a university's admissions department, they'll have the best answer for this.
Some A-levels you could do entirely online, but if a university offer requires you to pass the practical component (& they basically always do), you won't be able to do that entirely from home.

Quick Reply

Latest