The Student Room Group
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website

Gateway year

What is the content for gateway medicine year at lancaster uni? what eactly is taught and the textbooks used. please help with this information thanks
Original post by sara222
What is the content for gateway medicine year at lancaster uni? what eactly is taught and the textbooks used. please help with this information thanks

Gateway is for people who did not pick science A Levels
It is to being up your biology and chemistry knowledge from your GCSE level to the A Level, alongside learning medicine
(edited 8 months ago)
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website
Original post by sara222

Hey @sara222

Medicine and Surgery with a Gateway Year (A104) at Lancaster is aimed at students who are studying the right subjects at A Level (including both Biology and Chemistry), are not predicted AAB or above but meet two or more of our widening participation criteria.

I checked online, and while the official course details for the gateway year are not on the course page (https://www.lancaster.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/courses/medicine-and-surgery-with-a-gateway-year-mbchb-a104/2024/), the university does describe the degree as "15 modules including Anatomy and Tissue Structure; Genetics; Hormones and Development; Infection and Immunity, and Human Physiology" (https://www.lancaster.ac.uk/lms/medicine/medicine-and-surgery-with-a-gateway-year/). I study biochemistry at Lancaster, and when I was in first year I shared many modules with students on the gateway into medicine course, who at the time seemed to study a similar combination of topics. In terms of textbooks, we were given access to a textbook online which covered the areas taught in lectures, but I didn't really end up using it much unless I wanted to recap an area I was finding difficult.

For more information on the course I would recommend emailing [email protected] and asking if they can give you better insight.

I hope I could help a little!
Rebecca (Lancaster Student Ambassador)
(edited 8 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending