The Student Room Group

How different is biology at uni to a levels?

I know that the subject will be less memorisation and more application, but as someone who tends to be better at memorising than applying I’m just worried I’ll struggle quite a bit. Do people tend to find the shift from a levels to uni ok? I’m worried the application skills are something you’re expected to have instead of learn?
Your first year at Uni includes stuff that gives you the 'Uni skills' to do a degree - foundation learning essentially, and there will always be extra help on tap if you struggle in particular areas - examples Study Skills | Academic Skills Kit | Newcastle University (ncl.ac.uk) and Skills Centre (bath.ac.uk)
Original post by A_bee :)
I know that the subject will be less memorisation and more application, but as someone who tends to be better at memorising than applying I’m just worried I’ll struggle quite a bit. Do people tend to find the shift from a levels to uni ok? I’m worried the application skills are something you’re expected to have instead of learn?

i can’t speak too much on biology as i do a natural sciences degree where i only take 1 module of biology (on neuroscience atm but previously mostly cell biology), but generally at uni application is much more important than memorisation. i have 2 friends who do a biology degree and so far all of their exams have been online so there’s been essentially no memorisation and all application! but personally, i think it’s much more enjoyable as you get to actually focus on learning and understanding the subject instead of spending most of your time just rote learning mark schemes!
Reply 3
Original post by lil_lily__
i can’t speak too much on biology as i do a natural sciences degree where i only take 1 module of biology (on neuroscience atm but previously mostly cell biology), but generally at uni application is much more important than memorisation. i have 2 friends who do a biology degree and so far all of their exams have been online so there’s been essentially no memorisation and all application! but personally, i think it’s much more enjoyable as you get to actually focus on learning and understanding the subject instead of spending most of your time just rote learning mark schemes!
Thanks! That’s super helpful, I’m really looking forward to it tbf just a bit scared abt the change from a levels to uni now hahah - online tests sound so nice tho
Reply 4
Original post by McGinger
Your first year at Uni includes stuff that gives you the 'Uni skills' to do a degree - foundation learning essentially, and there will always be extra help on tap if you struggle in particular areas - examples Study Skills | Academic Skills Kit | Newcastle University (ncl.ac.uk) and Skills Centre (bath.ac.uk)
Thanks ! It’s definitely smthing that comes a bit harder for me so I was a little worried, but that’s great :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending