The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Which do you like better? Durham probably is more reputable for law, though not by much. Bear in mind that slight reputation difference and weigh up the differences in lifestyle and where you think you'll enjoy yourself more. Use a balancing scale type method.
Warwick being ranked higher overall doesn't mean much, employers will know the strength of Durham's law course. Also can I ask why you've ruled out Notts.
Similar to what Mensan suggested: make a list of all the things you like about Durham and the same for Warwick, and all the things you don't like about each. Pros and cons! Simple, but it'll be there in black and white which is better for you - and if you have an underlying preference, then that will also demonstrate itself too (i.e. I don't care if there's X things wrong with X, I'd still prefer to go there).
Reply 4
Would you like the campus lifestyle of Warwick with not much in Coventry? Thats a big question you need to answer.
Well from what i've heard Durham is not exactly "buzzing" so ppl go up/down? to Newcastle to have fun; Warwick and Bham would be the same.
Birmingham is fairly close to Warwick... For the odd big night out? Durham has Newcastle though - loves the Toon :biggrin:
Snap D&L! :wink:
Reply 8
To be fair, Durham is completely buzzing with student life and activity, not that many people really go to Newcastle on nights out but the option's there. I've never really felt the need to go to Newcastle, but if you're really into a genre of music (trance, metal etc) then there'll be something for you there.
I'd let the intangible benefits decide between the two, visit both and see whether you prefer living in Coventry or Durham.
Durham.
Reply 10
NDGAARONDI
Durham.

LOL. What a way to break up the intricate advice.
Reply 11
First of all congratulations on your offer. Although we could still yet be college mates! :smile:

I'm sure not everyone will agree with me when I say this, but I think the fact that you've been so thrown by this offer coming along speaks volumes.

I had a similar(ish) decision to make. I had held my Durham offer for a long time and I was constantly thinking that if UCL gave me an offer it would be very hard to choose between the two.

Then UCL did give me an offer, and instead of whooping with delight as expected I just sort of reacted in a "well, that's really good, but I'm sorted" type of way. It was at that point I knew that Durham was the place for me.

There is a slight difference in law rep between the two, Durham arguably being top 5 for law, and Warwick being top 10, but the difference is not so great that you should compromise your happiness.

If you feel you would enjoy Warwick more by all means go, it's an awesome university.

I don't feel I need to add to any of the suggestions on intangible factors etc...as that has been done quite adequately for me.
Also seeing as Durham is better than Warwick for law, reject Warwick on principle lol, they kept you waiting for far too long.
Reply 13
I would actually take Warwick over Durham.

Durham has been around for so long, and yet its reputation has remained largely unchanged. I know rankings aren't everything, but they're consistently at the same level every single year.
On the other hand, Warwick is a much newer university, and considering the fact that they haven't been around for very long, the progress that they've made is incredible. Every year they get a little better.

Also, Warwick does a lot more to try to boost their international status. They have the potential to become quite well-known outside the UK (largely because of their corporate ties), which in the long run is better for job opportunities and everything. Whereas to be perfectly honest, there are many people outside of the UK (I know I'm making a generalization) that have never heard of Durham before.
Reply 14
fibiso
I would actually take Warwick over Durham.

Durham has been around for so long, and yet its reputation has remained largely unchanged. I know rankings aren't everything, but they're consistently at the same level every single year.
On the other hand, Warwick is a much newer university, and considering the fact that they haven't been around for very long, the progress that they've made is incredible. Every year they get a little better.

Also, Warwick does a lot more to try to boost their international status. They have the potential to become quite well-known outside the UK (largely because of their corporate ties), which in the long run is better for job opportunities and everything. Whereas to be perfectly honest, there are many people outside of the UK (I know I'm making a generalization) that have never heard of Durham before.

Fail to see what the age of the place has got to do with it. Warwick law faculty has been around for nearly 40 years - I think that's plenty of time for it to have made its progress. Likewise, whether people outside the UK know of your Uni is irrelevant to most of those students studying there. In any event, those in the legal market outside the UK who might be interested in recruiting an English lawyer are likely to know of Durham.
Reply 15
Dark and Lovely
Warwick being ranked higher overall doesn't mean much, employers will know the strength of Durham's law course. Also can I ask why you've ruled out Notts.

I really liked the campus, just not as much as Durham or Warwick. Didn't have quite the same rep either. x
kawaii_girl
I really liked the campus, just not as much as Durham or Warwick. Didn't have quite the same rep either. x

Any closer to a decision? :smile:
You're talking of two or three places when you talk about Warwick being 'better' overall, and I think it's worth pointing out that Durham is kept down a few places because of its Stockton campus. It's still a perfectly reputable institution, but differenced such as much lower entry requirements and larger class sizes bring Durham down in the tables by a few places.

Also, just as a hint of how good Durham's Law faculty is, it was ranked third last year by the Times, and is ranked third after Cambridge and Oxford again this year. The tables aren't out yet, but an email was sent 'round by the Durham Law Faculty to Durham lawyers. :wink:
kawaii_girl

Isn't Notts ranked higher than Warwick in all tables for law...I haven't seen the new one tho.
Reply 19
Danny_777
You're talking of two or three places when you talk about Warwick being 'better' overall, and I think it's worth pointing out that Durham is kept down a few places because of its Stockton campus. It's still a perfectly reputable institution, but differenced such as much lower entry requirements and larger class sizes bring Durham down in the tables by a few places.

Also, just as a hint of how good Durham's Law faculty is, it was ranked third last year by the Times, and is ranked third after Cambridge and Oxford again this year. The tables aren't out yet, but an email was sent 'round by the Durham Law Faculty to Durham lawyers. :wink:

Can you PM this please. Why have I not recieved this?

Latest

Trending

Trending