The Student Room Group

Growing my grades - I can do it!

Scroll to see replies

English literature - The questions were just straight beautiful but I ran out of time and couldn't finish the OMAM question nor read over my answers. I'm pretty sure my weaker answer was OMAM as I didn't have the time to mention context or structure (Praying I get a good grade)

RE -Went well, hope the examiner isn't too harsh but reasonable(:
Wednesday

Science Unit 1 - Some questions were worded weirdly and a few seemed like trick questions, in reality I think I most probably got a A grade.

Thursday

Maths non calc -This paper gratefully was a dream apart from a few stupid mistakes I made, just hope the calc isn't too hard and definitely need to maximise my calc grade.

Friday

English lit poetry - the questions this year for english lit are just pure beautiful. I'm so glad the predicted poems came up although I still wasn't preared. Luckily I had enough time and was just on my conclusion for the unseen poetry. The unseen poetry was quite hard. I need a B or above but let's just wait form results day. Atleast I don't have to worry about poetry anymore unless I take it next year?
I forgot my password and was unable to log in to complete my exam diary😭

Anyways since results day is soon I'm going to predict the grades I think I got since I've already completed the exams although it seems like forever ago and I actually forgot the difficulties. Since it's been a few months I've forgotten what questions I had so I've just been very pessimistic.

This is what I think I'll get:

Maths A*
English Lang C (I'd be very disappointed😭 THIS IS THE ONLY EXAM I'M EXTREMELY WORRIED FOR, I NEED A B MINIMUM)
English literature B/C
Core Science A
Additional science B/C
Social Science B/A
Religious studies A
History B (I want an A, I did try🤓)
French B/C (I use to get B-U grades in previous past papers but coming up to the exams I did get a few A grades so it would be amazing if I managed to scrape an A - highly unlikely).
Good luck! What A-levels are you planning to take?
Original post by Chittesh14
Good luck! What A-levels are you planning to take?

Thank you! Some of the grade boundaries are higher than I expected for English language I'm slowly losing hope😂

If I get the grades needed I hope to take:
Maths
Economics
Government & Politics
Psychology
If all the exams are linear I'd probably take 3 subjects but I don't know which ones🙃 Debating between government & politics and psychology.

What about you? Have you completed your GCSEs?
Original post by MsIndependant
Thank you! Some of the grade boundaries are higher than I expected for English language I'm slowly losing hope😂

If I get the grades needed I hope to take:
Maths
Economics
Government & Politics
Psychology
If all the exams are linear I'd probably take 3 subjects but I don't know which ones🙃 Debating between government & politics and psychology.

What about you? Have you completed your GCSEs?

Yeah, I'm going to do A-levels from September. Don't worry, so far all grade boundaries have lowered all my grades by 1 overall lol. I've failed my GCSEs. Let's see what I do at A-levels.........
Yeah, I'm going to do A-levels from September. Don't worry, so far all grade boundaries have lowered all my grades by 1 overall lol. I've failed my GCSEs. Let's see what I do at A-levels.........

You don't know if you've failed yet. I don't really think GCSEs are the be-all or the end-all as teachers make it out to be... unless you have really specific goals where GCSEs are essential. I'd be content with 5 A-C grades with a B in Maths and English😂😂

It's funny looking at the predictions I made at the start of this thread and my predictions yesterday. I'm a changed person😂

Good luck, everything will work in your favour.
You don't know if you've failed yet. I don't really think GCSEs are the be-all or the end-all as teachers make it out to be... unless you have really specific goals where GCSEs are essential. I'd be content with 5 A-C grades with a B in Maths and English😂😂

It's funny looking at the predictions I made at the start of this thread and my predictions yesterday. I'm a changed person😂

Good luck, everything will work in your favour.

I know everything. I'll get exact grades as I expected tomorrow. Let's just see what I get. I know A-levels will be different lol
I know everything. I'll get exact grades as I expected tomorrow. Let's just see what I get. I know A-levels will be different lol

How was it? Did you get accepted into the courses you wanted to do?!☺️
How was it? Did you get accepted into the courses you wanted to do?!☺️

It was amazing - you were right - I was shocked. I did get accepted into the subjects I wanted to do, but I couldn't do them because of this stupid blocks system my school has. So, I'm in trouble and I'm just going to research during the rest of my holidays to see if I can drop out from Physics.
It was amazing - you were right - I was shocked. I did get accepted into the subjects I wanted to do, but I couldn't do them because of this stupid blocks system my school has. So, I'm in trouble and I'm just going to research during the rest of my holidays to see if I can drop out from Physics.

Omg the same thing happened to me last minute. I was set on the subjects I wanted to do and had to change them because of the block system! If they told me beforehand I would have been more prepared and could have went to another college/sixth form but it's too late. At least I'm doing 3 subjects I enjoy😂

WELL DONE, you deserve it.
Slightly delayed but it's time to reveal my results...

Mathematics A*
English Language A
English Literature B
Science A*
Additional Science A*
Social studies A
French A
History A

4 A*s, 4 As and 1 B🎉🎉

My thoughts:
Maths - expected
English language - extremely shocked, thought I got a C in the exam but got an A*😮
English literature - gutted, I knew I ran out of time but honestly wasn't that worried about this exam
Sciences - I was predicted high grades but did find the additional science papers fairly hard
Citizenship - Wanted an A* but I'm still happy, grade boundaries are quite tight
French - very shocked, was a subject I detested yet worked hard. Got A* in both exams😮
History - content, my exams went well (gratefully) could have gotten an A* but my c/a bought it down😢

Overall I'm shocked with my grades and quite pleased. When I was in year 10 I wasn't predicted As and A*s and to think I was so close to getting 9 A*-A grades baffles me😳!

In comparison to my initial predicted grades at the start of this thread...didn't quite meet it. My predicted grades were exaggerated at the start, to be honest it was an aspiration, like a dream. I did excel in French and was a grade below for English lit and Citizenship. To be that close I'm satisfied. After I completed my exams I had bad feelings about literally all of them but it turned out to go well.

My experience with GCSEs: Honestly now I feel as I feel as if they weren't that important. Even towards results day I wasn't nervous/scared, I didn't care too much. I was fairly excited for results day. This is going a bit off tangent but I believe GCSEs help you to get into your desired college/sixth form but after that they're irrelevant. You need 5 A-C grades preferably with a B in Maths and English Lang and you're sorted. A Levels are much more significant so bring it on (please don't😢)! Back to GCSEs, they weren't extremely difficult, a few subjects I struggled with were Maths, French and English Language but with my own revision I improved. Also I didn't feel the need to revise for hours and lose out on sleep, as I felt sleep was definitely more important. Reading my past posts saying I feel stressed😂😂😂, that wasn't real stress it was unnecessary stress.
(edited 7 years ago)
Omg the same thing happened to me last minute. I was set on the subjects I wanted to do and had to change them because of the block system! If they told me beforehand I would have been more prepared and could have went to another college/sixth form but it's too late. At least I'm doing 3 subjects I enjoy😂

WELL DONE, you deserve it.

Thanks, I could've gone to another sixth form but I'm just an idiot so I didn't lol. Let's just see how things work for me now. Anyway, congratulations on your results - I feel we are both fked up due to this blocks system and many more will be in the future....
What A-levels did you end up choosing?
im doing my igcse business exam in 9 days and im freaking out. i haven't studied properly and thos is the 3rd time im doing business exam.
i need help.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by unknownxo
im doing my igcse business exam in 9 days and im freaking out. i haven't studied properly and thos is the 3rd time im doing business exam.
i need help.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I didn't do iGCSE business, I did BTEC business. But you should start revising now! I'd say an hour minimum per day - if you have a revision guide, just read through it. From what I remember most it was basic maths, define questions and a few scenario questions. There was 1/2 essay type questions which my teachers didn't help us with properly. Anyways my exam was about 25% of my final grade so my controlled assessment really pushed my grade up. Don't stress and you'll do well! What don't you understand? Ask your teacher before it's too late. Sorry if this wasn't much help.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending