The Student Room Group

Invigilating at a Sixth Form relative attends

I have to fill out an application to invigilate for a college I attended last year. One of the questions ask me if I have any relatives studying there currently, and ask for their name.
Why does the application need this and how would this affect me?
Also if, hypothetically, I said I had no relatives attending could they find out? Our surnames are the same though
Any information is appreciated thank you
Original post by Sp1der
I have to fill out an application to invigilate for a college I attended last year. One of the questions ask me if I have any relatives studying there currently, and ask for their name.
Why does the application need this and how would this affect me?
Also if, hypothetically, I said I had no relatives attending could they find out? Our surnames are the same though
Any information is appreciated thank you

At the end of the day it's up to the head of the exam centre you're applying at to decide, but technically you will still be allowed too invigilate as long as you're not the SOLE invigilator. But just keep in mind, if you do (hypothetically) hide the fact you have a relative and he/she reveals this accidentally, it'll be very suspicious.
Reply 2
Presumably because some people would abuse their position as an invigilator to help a relative sitting the exam to cheat in some way.

There's no reason to not disclose that you have a relative attending the college. At worst they'd simply have you invigilate a different exam than the one your relative is sitting or assign you to a different section of the hall.

On the flip side, it'd look awfully shady if you did get caught.
Reply 3
Original post by Ninjakam119
At the end of the day it's up to the head of the exam centre you're applying at to decide, but technically you will still be allowed too invigilate as long as you're not the SOLE invigilator. But just keep in mind, if you do (hypothetically) hide the fact you have a relative and he/she reveals this accidentally, it'll be very suspicious.

Original post by HRR
Presumably because some people would abuse their position as an invigilator to help a relative sitting the exam to cheat in some way.

There's no reason to not disclose that you have a relative attending the college. At worst they'd simply have you invigilate a different exam than the one your relative is sitting or assign you to a different section of the hall.

On the flip side, it'd look awfully shady if you did get caught.

Yes, you're both correct, bear in mind I only asked this because I thought that they might, as you say think that I will help them cheat with their exams. I wouldnt of course. Ok thank you though, I'll be straight up. Hopefully it wont affect my chances and choice of days. Thank you

Quick Reply

Latest