The Student Room Group

Journey to Medical School - Year 11

Scroll to see replies

- Make a quantitative chemistry booklet - COMPLETED

I would like to say that I got this idea from one of the GYG blogs last year and I find it very helpful and will be completing one for physics soon.

ImageUploadedByStudent Room1456171084.233167.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile
If you dont mind me asking how many paragraphs do you write for Jekyll and Hyde and what is your formation for writing PEE's, interested in other peoples views
Let's get cracking! 40 school days left till the first exam (for me!) and 10 weeks of revision...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi, I just wanted to say that you're doing a really good job with your blog and its really motivating to read! I wish I would've been as motivated as you with my gcses. Honestly, with an attitude like this you are going to do sososo well :smile:
Btw I know how you feel when it comes to friends trying to make you feel bad for doing a lot of revision. I often find that the friends who say these things are those who perhaps aren't doing any revision and are not doing particularly well or feeling motivated.
Reply 44
I've applied to med schools this year and have offers if you want to ask me anything about getting to med school!
Original post by ForeverFrench
If you dont mind me asking how many paragraphs do you write for Jekyll and Hyde and what is your formation for writing PEE's, interested in other peoples views

So my Jekyll and Hyde exam is 1.5hrs with an unseen poem so it's 45mins per section. I normally write a brief introduction, 3 very in depth paragraphs using PETER (https://www.slideshare.net/mobile/bethenabraham/how-to-nail-a-peter-paragraph) and add an extra point into my conclusion. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jessyjellytot14
Hi, I just wanted to say that you're doing a really good job with your blog and its really motivating to read! I wish I would've been as motivated as you with my gcses. Honestly, with an attitude like this you are going to do sososo well :smile:
Btw I know how you feel when it comes to friends trying to make you feel bad for doing a lot of revision. I often find that the friends who say these things are those who perhaps aren't doing any revision and are not doing particularly well or feeling motivated.

I know exactly what you mean! It doesn't matter that you weren't motivated then, only that you're motivated now. An interviewer will love to know that you know you could've done better and that you're now a changed person who is extremely dedicated to whatever you want to do. I think that's even better than someone who is arrogant about their grades :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Joooeee
I've applied to med schools this year and have offers if you want to ask me anything about getting to med school!

Thanks! Good luck :smile: I'm off to Kings with school today to have a look at their university in general as I find it very motivating (I'm a bit ahead of myself but I've already done Oxford, UCL, Queen Mary's without school...)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 48
Original post by HouseOfRichman
Thanks! Good luck :smile: I'm off to Kings with school today to have a look at their university in general as I find it very motivating (I'm a bit ahead of myself but I've already done Oxford, UCL, Queen Mary's without school...)

Posted from TSR Mobile

I have an offer from UCL, it's one of the most impressive med school I went to
Original post by Joooeee
I have an offer from UCL, it's one of the most impressive med school I went to

That's incredible, well done! How was the process of getting in, do you have any tips?

Posted from TSR Mobile
These past couple of days haven't gone so well because on Tuesday I didn't get home until 8pm (unexpected traffic delays for 1.5hrs) and today I applied to my final, first choice sixth form so I didn't start revision until 5:45 and just finished. However, when I was in year 8 about this time of year I met someone when volunteering for Fair Trade at school, a year 11 who had been crying and began telling me about how she was so stressed because she'd only really just started working, doing her coursework and revising and was scared she was going to fail. I was so scared and determined that this wouldn't happen to me that I started working even harder than I already was, ensuring my attendance was high, my reports were glowing, I went out and got experience and started revising 6 weeks ahead of my first GCSE mocks in year 9 (my schools a bit weird). I'm telling you this because it means that whenever I haven't finished something for that week, I do it in my free time at the weekend, ensuring I'm staying on top of my work and motivating myself to get it done in the allotted time.

Despite this on Tuesday I was able to go through my unit 5 flashcards and will finish my aims for this week (as detailed on my timetable that I have posted before) on Saturday/Sunday. My flashcards are written straight from the revision guide and cover almost every topic (see picture below) but one of my aims was to deepen them using questions straight off the specification. I will also write notes straight off the specification for unit 5 for all three sciences and test myself using bitesize or gojimo or the SUVAT questions from my school.

Today I was able to do half of the chapter summaries for Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde and got really excited with my revision as I was able to finally start a new revision method which I find really helpful. I write the summary on the chapter of the notepad and explain using direct quotes and then if I have a further analysis I write it on a post it note next to it and it really stands out! I think part of my motivation for revision comes from variety, by changing your revision methods, you're changing what you have to do slightly but are learning the same things. Once again I wasn't able to finish it but will complete it with science on Sunday.

I also find it important to have fun after revision so I'm having a movie night with my mum after revision on Friday night (I don't even care if that sounds lame because I'm getting take out nandos so who's the real winner here), going prom dress shopping with my best mate after revision on Saturday followed by a party and Sunday revision and relaxation (how you can do both I don't really know but embrace it!).
(edited 8 years ago)
Here's an example of my flashcards! There are about 30/50 cards for each unit depending on the complexity.
Also, here's my new revision method, feel free to steal!
Hey, do you recommend York notes or cgp revision guides for Jekyll & Hyde?

Posted from TSR Mobile
hello, I felt quite inspied by your thread for your Year 11 time.

I am in the same situation as I am in year 11 currently revisiiong and preparing for the gcse exams in may/june. I wanted to point out specifically on English Language that I struggle as my wworst subject ever, i dont know anything about it because i find it difficult to explain how the write/poet does this and that in the text but i am ok level in analysing poems. Can I ask from you how and what basic techniques would i need when writing up an exam answer as I dont know how I would start off/structure it,

Thanks, Jenny
Original post by Do it Right
Hey, do you recommend York notes or cgp revision guides for Jekyll & Hyde?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Normally I recommend to cross reference with both but the York notes Jekyll and Hyde is A5 and doesn't have very good content so I much prefer the CGP

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jemnyokun14
hello, I felt quite inspied by your thread for your Year 11 time.

I am in the same situation as I am in year 11 currently revisiiong and preparing for the gcse exams in may/june. I wanted to point out specifically on English Language that I struggle as my wworst subject ever, i dont know anything about it because i find it difficult to explain how the write/poet does this and that in the text but i am ok level in analysing poems. Can I ask from you how and what basic techniques would i need when writing up an exam answer as I dont know how I would start off/structure it,

Thanks, Jenny

I normally write a brief introduction, 3 very in depth paragraphs using PETER (https://www.slideshare.net/mobile/be...eter-paragraph) and add an extra point into my conclusion.
- Make a quantitative chemistry booklet - COMPLETED

I would like to say that I got this idea from one of the GYG blogs last year and I find it very helpful and will be completing one for physics soon.

ImageUploadedByStudent Room1456171084.233167.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quantities chemistry booklet?

Posted from TSR Mobile
As I explained in my aims before it's my own booklet (quantitative means data with numbers) with every equation from chemistry in it. It allows me to remember the more complex equations found in C5 for example and not have to flick through the revision guide to find it whilst doing an open book past paper.
Reply 59
My name is Lucy and my aim is to go to medical school because I would like to become a doctor (shocker!). This means that I will need to secure the best grades I can in May and June and then again in sixth form as medical schools are very competitive. This is part 1 of my journey there: Year 11.

My personal targets, the grades that will make me smile on the 25th August (3 days after my birthday!) are:
Maths: A*
Chemistry: A*
Biology: A*
Physics: A* (or A but I'll take what I can get!)
English Literature: A*
English Language: A*
History: A*
Music: A
Spanish: A
Philosophy and Ethics: A*
Citizenship: A*

Just comment if you would like to know anymore :smile:

Ahhhh hey Lucy, I love your GYG thread, I just spent a good 20 minutes going through it haha! I also want to go into medicine, hopefully to become a doctor as well, so that's great. I have a GYG blog as well, which you could check out if you want to...? We can share revision tips and exchange ideas, if you'd like! :biggrin:

(http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3902507&p=62851293#post62851293)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending