The Student Room Group

i really want to become a doctor but i don't know what it takes or if i can

I'm in year 11 and my mocks start tomorrow i'm super nervous because i go to a selective school and my mocks mean a lot if i want to stay for sixth form (which i do). I've been thinking a lot about what next, i aspire to become a pediatrician or somewhere else interesting in the medical field out of genuine interest which i feel is uncommon because many people do it because their parents want them to? in all honesty i'm super lost and i don't know where to start, i'm already super stressed for mocks and i dont know if i have what it takes to do what i want to. Does anyone have any tips to make this easier? Like tips for getting into medicine right from yr11?? It's super difficult for me because my parents don't know a lot about the education here so they can't help push me to do this. Also i know im asking a lot lol but does anyone have any tips for exam stress and motivation because im freaking out rn.
Original post by riaraj
I'm in year 11 and my mocks start tomorrow i'm super nervous because i go to a selective school and my mocks mean a lot if i want to stay for sixth form (which i do). I've been thinking a lot about what next, i aspire to become a pediatrician or somewhere else interesting in the medical field out of genuine interest which i feel is uncommon because many people do it because their parents want them to? in all honesty i'm super lost and i don't know where to start, i'm already super stressed for mocks and i dont know if i have what it takes to do what i want to. Does anyone have any tips to make this easier? Like tips for getting into medicine right from yr11?? It's super difficult for me because my parents don't know a lot about the education here so they can't help push me to do this. Also i know im asking a lot lol but does anyone have any tips for exam stress and motivation because im freaking out rn.

Your have chosen a tough but worthwhile area to study riaraj, medicine is as you would expect a long tough road before you qualify to practice, and even after that requires continuing study to keep up to date.
So you have to start somewhere and you just happen to be at probably the perfect age to lay down the foundation stones to get you into university.
You will ideally need good results in most of your gcse's with emphasis on chemistry and biology, where really good scores will help you at sixth form college.
During summer holidays and weekends, volunteering at maybe a nursing home, local clinic or hospital will give you an idea of what is involved caring for and treating people. Your tasks may be menial like making tea or accompanying visitors to hospitals departments, but just being in the environment and chatting to patients and staff will be valuable and useful to bulk out your personal statement later down the line.
It is a long journey but takes one step at a time to reach the end, so put in the extra effort these next few months and try hard to ace the subjects most required, and maybe look on TSR for previous years papers to practice on.
Good luck and fingers crossed

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending