The Student Room Group

My journey to getting excellent grades at GCSE

:smile:Hello everyone!:smile:
So this year, I am very motivated to get those awesome grades at GCSE by trying my hardest in all the subjects I will sit exams in.

I did English Literature (WJEC) last year and got an A*!

Here are what I expect to get!

Biology (OCR 21st Century) - A/A*
Chemistry (OCR 21st Century) - A*
Physics (OCR 21st Century) - A*
Maths( Edexcel A) - A*
English Language (WJEC)- A*
RE (Edexcel Unit 3 and Unit 8)- A*
History (AQA B)- A*
PE (Edexcel)- A
French (AQA) - A
Computing(OCR) - A*

Total: 8/9A*s and 3/2A's
So my update schedule for this thread will be once a day where I update where I am at with everything. So far things are looking good revision wise, just need to speed up with a few and then I am ready!

Thanks for reading!:wink:

General tips:

1/ Make revision notes

2/ Summarise notes

3/ Flashcards work well for fast paced revision

4/ Take breaks i.e 45 mins work 10 minutes. Not 10 minutes work and 45 minutes breaks!

5/ Practise techniques in questions.

6/ Use the computer for additional resources.
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Oh, wow, you've started early, I should get started soon too (AS Level) Good luck to you! :smile:
I'm also on OCR computing and I really struggle with theory, how are you revising for it?
Original post by Black Rose
Oh, wow, you've started early, I should get started soon too (AS Level) Good luck to you! :smile:

Thank you! I started early since I just don't want to risk cramming! Good luck to you too!
Original post by Vanilla Cupcake
I'm also on OCR computing and I really struggle with theory, how are you revising for it?

Try computer science tutor on youtube. It is helping me!
Stuff done as of 16/2/16:

1/ Done 1 1/2 modules for history for 20th century relations . Just 1 left to do for that unit!
2/ Did P4 revision completely. Two left in that section,
3/ Started C5 revision and progressing well.
4/Learned some French vocab
5/ Did some computing clips online too.

So all in all, a good day of stuff done!:smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
Here are some plans for today.

1/ Learn French Vocab plus paragraphs.
2/ Revise chemistry C5 and B5
3/ History finish off module 2 of international relations and start module three.
4/ RE Unit 3 review.
Maybe cover other things too if I have time.
Let's see how it goes
WOW! You are really committed - it is very commendable. Would you have time to offer advice to me on my journey at GCSE?

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3897511

Thank you.
Original post by brainzistheword
WOW! You are really committed - it is very commendable. Would you have time to offer advice to me on my journey at GCSE?

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3897511

Thank you.

I have replied on your post :smile:
17/2/16
Things done : :wink:

1/ Learnt more French paragraphs.
2/ Chemistry C5 halfway through. The ideas are a bit more complex so I am revising it more slowly.
3/ Biology B5, completed plant section of it, so DNA and animal development next!
4/ Computing, 1 clip done on binary instructions
5/ Maths, direct and inverse proportion
6/ Completed P4, so did a practise exam out of 20. I got 16/20 which easily gets a mid to high A* in physics!

That's about it, I'm happy I got that much done and hope to get most revision done before April so I can focus on technique more in April!
18/2/16
1/ Maths
2/ Biology B5
ChemistryC5 done.
Original post by MezmorisedPotato
Hello everyone!:smile::smile:

So this year, I am very motivated to get those awesome grades at GCSE by trying my hardest in all the subjects I will sit exams in.

I did Literature last year and got an A*!

Biology- A*
Chemistry- A*
Physics- A*
Maths- A*
English Language- A*
RE- A*
History- A*
PE- A*
French- A ( Still will try my best to get A* in it, although it is hard)
Computing A

Total: 9A*s 2A's

I've started my revision for these exams. Biology, Chemistry and Physics, I've finished Unit 1 revision for all of them. I am a module into unit Unit 2( there is three topics in each module). So for Science I am definitely on track! :tongue:

Maths, I have learned my topics and done a lot of practise so it is just revising key bits which secures my marks.

English- It is all about doing practise. You need to polish up the exam technique. That is something I will definitely practise over the course of the coming months.

RE- I have finished paper 1 revision so just need to get started on paper 2 revision ( Unit 8).

History- There are two papers. I have revised as of yet one module of paper one. So I need to get going in history more at the moment.

PE- Done most revision. Just do papers and revise key things I struggle to understand.

French- Currently revising vocab and doing papers but I have a written exam coming up too.

Computer Science- So far doing alright in coursework. Also halfway through exam revision.
:biggrin:
Here are my exam boards: :h:

Science- OCR
Maths - Edexcel
English- WJEC
RE- Edexcel
History- AQA
PE- Edexcel
French- AQA
Computing- OCR

So my update schedule for this thread will be once a week where I update where I am at with everything. So far things are looking good revision wise, just need to speed up with a few and then I am ready!

what year are you in?
Original post by Cornflakes1688
what year are you in?

I'm in Year 11
how did you get an A* in English Lit, and have you also got any tips on Language? :smile:
Really hate these two aha :redface:
Also, what are you doing for A Level? :h:
Original post by surina16
how did you get an A* in English Lit, and have you also got any tips on Language? :smile:
Really hate these two aha :redface:

For English Literature, the tip I have is your depth of analysis. Always look for alternative interpretations of text. I used the York Notes and CGP guides for Inspector Calls, Heroes and Of Mice and Men. More importantly stand out from the crowd with original analysis, these impress an examiner to putting you into a band. It's like you need to make your own style into answering questions. Just spend some time elaborating on information and you will automatically develop into being awesome. Good luck!:smile:

For Language it is all about developing technique. Read up on other texts and adopt that technique and add to it tl make it original. Good luck!

For A levels I'm most likely taking science and Maths but I am considering Modern History for my fourth option.

I hope that answer was detailed enough! :biggrin:
I am currently doing An Inspector calls for my controlled assessment and my question is to explore how one character, relationship or theme develops throughout the play
what do you suggest me to do and how should i structure my answer
i was planning to do Sheila as a character and explore how she develops but im scared that my interpretions will be basic and not developed enough. i have also thought about doing the theme of responsibility because then i could talk about all the characters, what do you suggest?
i also dont now how to structure my answer and plan effectively
if there are any tips that you could give me i would be more then thankful!!!!
Original post by MezmorisedPotato
Hello everyone!:smile::smile:

I did Literature last year and got an A*!

Biology- A*
Chemistry- A*
Physics- A*
Maths- A*
English Language- A*
RE- A*
History- A*
PE- A*
French- A ( Still will try my best to get A* in it, although it is hard)
Computing A

Total: 9A*s 2A's

I've started my revision for these exams. Biology, Chemistry and Physics, I've finished Unit 1 revision for all of them. I am a module into unit Unit 2( there is three topics in each module). So for Science I am definitely on track! :tongue:

Maths, I have learned my topics and done a lot of practise so it is just revising key bits which secures my marks.

English- It is all about doing practise. You need to polish up the exam technique. That is something I will definitely practise over the course of the coming months.

RE- I have finished paper 1 revision so just need to get started on paper 2 revision ( Unit 8).

History- There are two papers. I have revised as of yet one module of paper one. So I need to get going in history more at the moment.

PE- Done most revision. Just do papers and revise key things I struggle to understand.

French- Currently revising vocab and doing papers but I have a written exam coming up too.

Computer Science- So far doing alright in coursework. Also halfway through exam revision.
:biggrin:
Here are my exam boards: :h:

Science- OCR
Maths - Edexcel
English- WJEC
RE- Edexcel
History- AQA
PE- Edexcel
French- AQA
Computing- OCR

So my update schedule for this thread will be once a week where I update where I am at with everything. So far things are looking good revision wise, just need to speed up with a few and then I am ready!

Omdds, how do you get an A* in maths so easily? is it talent and how do you work through it? also, with science, what do you mean by finishing revision for all of module 1? do you mean you have secured your knowledge in unit 1 of your science or you have finished making resources for you revision?
Original post by Tiara006
Omdds, how do you get an A* in maths so easily? is it talent and how do you work through it? also, with science, what do you mean by finishing revision for all of module 1? do you mean you have secured your knowledge in unit 1 of your science or you have finished making resources for you revision?

1/ Maths isn't just talent alone. If you learn the methods and practise the questions, you will definitely improve in it. Maths is practise and understanding concepts. Some people get concepts easier than others and some apply themselves better. You can improve how you apply yourselves by practising. :biggrin:

2/ The module question. Our exam board, OCR has modules for each science. B1 B2, B3 and so on till B7. B1 B2 B3 are assessed in a paper, B4 B5 B6 in another and B7 as a single paper. The same idea for chemistry and physics. So I revise module by module as that way you go through everything effectively. Nothing to do with making resources! :smile:
Thanks! But how do you revise then? Do you just look back at your notes or read from a textbook?
And how do you know you have finished revising something fully to move on to the next module?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending