The Student Room Group

A level students: When did you start gcse revision?

How far from exams was it and what grades did you end up with?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by TyanaChu

Just before the easter holidays, during which I revised a lot, i'm one of those people who have to revise and work hard or I won't get good grades, it doesn't come naturally to me. I ended up with 5 A*S, 5As and a B.
Reply 2
I started just before Easter holidays
i only revised for triple science bc we had some last minute examboard troubles so had to self teach it

anyway i got 2A*s 3As 3Bs 3Cs - not the best i know :redface:
if you start just before Easter and you've been relatively on top of your work throughout your GCSEs you'll be fine :wink:

with GCSEs honestly you could revise 3 days before and get an A
Reply 3
I can't remember exactly when exams started but I started revision in November.
I ended up with 9A*, 2A and 1B.
I didn't revise, and regret that. But I'd recommend starting light revision now and slowly increasing the workload, properly revising from early April.
I didn't really revise in a conventional way, there was some site that you listened to someone like talking and I used that for History whilst I did other stuff. For science I kinda just read the revision guide and memorised the answers. Some subjects didn't really need revision, I'd say GCSE revision is just not comparable to what I know as revision now at A level. I mean I didn't get the best grades though, so maybe if I put in the work I could've done better.

I got 1A* 8As 3Bs (2 of them in Double Award Engineering though) and half a C grade in Citizenship but that was in year 10.

But you have linear exams now in GCSE right? I had modular exams, so I knew when I did my exams that I was like bound to get certain grades, which meant I didn't really bother.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 6
Did light revision in March and some of April.. Started proper revision too late really towards the end of April.

Came out with 1A* 8A's and 2B's though at one of the worst schools in my city though so it was OK in the end
I didn't revise and got 6A*s 3As and 1B. I still regret it though. I'd recommend starting as early as possible, even if it's only a little.
Properly making notes in January and past papers after easter. Got me good grades. :smile:
Started at easter, got 1a the rest a*, although i had mocks in january and was on top of everything when i started revising
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 10
We had mocks in January, so I revised for them in December and after they were over, I continued to do 'light' revision for the remainder of the year until I entered the exam period (April) where I started to heavily revise again. I got 7 x A*, 3 x A and a distinction star for my BTEC
(edited 8 years ago)
I only revised for exams the night before.
I suggest revising earlier than I did but it really does depend on what you think you are capable of.
One of my friends started revising at Christmas and has already started with AS levels now, that's how she learns... Don't get stressed because your friends are doing it and you aren't, revising because you think you should and not because you need to is the worst, for me. I would suggest revising at the latest just after the Easter holidays.
I got 9A* and 5A
Also, maybe you could make a reviaon timetable of just 30 minutes a day and start earlier. I know for me it was difficult to keep to my revision timetable because I was unreasonable with my timings. You must make it personal to yourself.
(edited 8 years ago)
When did I pretend to start revising to give myself an excuse to chillax all weekend? November. When did I actually start revising? Beginning of study leave....real organised, I know :yep:

Ended up with 2 A*s, 3 As, 3 Bs and a C:smile:
I started revising in January and I got 10A*s and an A :smile:
Original post by 12KMiller
I only revised for exams the night before.
I suggest revising earlier than I did but it really does depend on what you think you are capable of.
One of my friends started revising at Christmas and has already started with AS levels now, that's how she learns... Don't get stressed because your friends are doing it and you aren't, revising because you think you should and not because you need to is the worst, for me. I would suggest revising at the latest just after the Easter holidays.
I got 9A* and 5A
Also, maybe you could make a reviaon timetable of just 30 minutes a day and start earlier. I know for me it was difficult to keep to my revision timetable because I was unreasonable with my timings. You must make it personal to yourself.

... you did 14 gcse's? and got 9 A*s by revising the night before?
well I did spanish and french at GCSE so spent my entire easter revising just for the oral exams for those two... would say I revised for every other subject from about 2 weeks before the exams. Got 8A*S 1A 1B :smile:
Yeh, I did triple science, both English, maths, French, Spanish, German, Latin, astronomy, RS, ICT and History.
I have a better short term memory than long term so revising the night before was best for me.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 17
You don't really need to bother revising for GCSE's, there isn't much point, in all honesty. :dontknow:
Original post by TyanaChu

Started in March.
Exams started in May.
Ended up with 10A*s.
Original post by samb1234
Started at easter, got 1a the rest a*, although i had mocks in january and was on top of everything when i started revising

Is it even possible to learn everything there is to know in Biology, Chemistry, physics and maths. As I'm just over 20 I'm an adult student so we have 2 hour classes a week and do one topic per week.... I feel I've learnt nothing in 6 months..... Any tips on how I just today signed up for my-gcse science my maths teacher just writes on the board doesn't really explain why that's correct and never gives us homework.... It's like watching art attack I see words symbols and sums with no meaning... It's rather frustrating because they have relatively few adults compared to 16-19s so our grades won't impact there overall exam scores each year so they don't bother they just take my £300 for science and £250 for maths and give me nothing in return

Quick Reply

Latest