The Student Room Group

To succeed or not to succeed???

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
12-03-16 Week Update
Monday Night I wrote up all my french questions for my final controlled assessment in the lesson. All I have to do now is learn them!!!

Tuesday I had a surprise AS IT test. I got 35/54 which is awful by my standards but was to be expected as the 'discuss' questions are my downfall and the entire test was 'discuss'. Although I was annoyed at the time it's making me work harder and made me more determined to do well so that's got to be good. :smile:

On Wednesday I finally started on my music notes! Yippee! After months of procrastinating I've finally taken the big leap. I did two sets of flashcards in my study lesson on Wednesday and on Thursday, before and during my last concert at my school, I wrote up notes on World Music and Popular Music. All I need to do now is the Classical music section and all of the technical theory (my secret favourite part... :smile: ).

Yesterday I did nothing linked to revision but I did get some reading done which was nice.
Reply 21
13-03-16
Okay, so yesterday I did very little. My brother was ill so I stayed at home with him whilst my family went on a hike. We watched Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix so the day wasn't wasted.
I made a broadsheet for RS and spent the whole afternoon planning our DofE practice expedition route which is in a couple of week's time. I spent the evening doing nothing except relaxing.

The plan for today: (if I put it up here might actually get it done):smile:

English- sort out folders, print blank poems, mr Bruff videos

Maths- content check notes vs. revision guide

Further Maths- notes up to date, non calculator paper

Biology- recent notes, content check notes

Chemistry- think about ca, content check notes

Physics- homework sheet, content check notes

RS- quotes for each topic

Geography- chapter 14 notes, organise folder

French- start to note vocab from book

Music- finish keywords

IT- info 1 cover sheet, sort folders

This seems like a lot when it's laid out but I should be able to do this all today if I get cracking and stop procrastinating on TSR...
Oh my goodness you're so good at updating your blog (I really need to update more!). I saw your mock results, and how did you get an A* in maths?? I get middle As in maths, like seriously every paper I have ever done since year nine has been a middle A, and I cannot seem to get a higher mark! So, do you have any maths revision tips?
I saw that you're taking an AS as well (this is sounding slightly stalkerish) I am as well (but in Critical Thinking) :smile: Do you think we have to go on A-level results day or would we just get them with our GCSEs?
Lastly, I don't know if you have already said this (I don't think you have) but what are you planning on doing next year? Any ideas for uni courses yet?
Good luck with revision,
Soph :wink:
Reply 23
Original post by Ddraigdwr2
Oh my goodness you're so good at updating your blog (I really need to update more!). I saw your mock results, and how did you get an A* in maths?? I get middle As in maths, like seriously every paper I have ever done since year nine has been a middle A, and I cannot seem to get a higher mark! So, do you have any maths revision tips?
I saw that you're taking an AS as well (this is sounding slightly stalkerish) I am as well (but in Critical Thinking) :smile: Do you think we have to go on A-level results day or would we just get them with our GCSEs?
Lastly, I don't know if you have already said this (I don't think you have) but what are you planning on doing next year? Any ideas for uni courses yet?
Good luck with revision,

Haha, I really don't update that often. Some people on the Grow Your Grades thread update everyday. :smile:

My super maths tips (only a spoiler because it kept getting longer) :smile:

Spoiler

:smile: I sound like a stalker half of the time and as long as someone has put it online it's fine??? I honestly don't know about whether we'd have to go on A-level results day. I hope not because that would be a bit awkward but then again, it would be the only chance I have because I'm going to a different school next year. :biggrin:

Next year I'm going to another school so I'm not entirely sure what would be best. I put on my application that I wanted to do English Lit, Maths, Physics and Geography. Then I decided to swap computing with geography and do further maths. Now I'm considering just taking further maths. I honestly don't know... Probably English Lit, Maths, Physics and Further Maths. Knowing me, I won't know until I start on the first day of sixth form.

Uni? This is another thing I have no idea about. Business, English, Maths, Computing, Physics, Computing with Philosophy? I'll cross that bridge when I get to it. All I know is that I want to go to Oxbridge but I don't know what I want to study. I don't think it really matters as long as I get there. :smile:
Original post by Ara8311a
Haha, I really don't update that often. Some people on the Grow Your Grades thread update everyday. :smile:

My super maths tips (only a spoiler because it kept getting longer) :smile:

Spoiler

:smile: I sound like a stalker half of the time and as long as someone has put it online it's fine??? I honestly don't know about whether we'd have to go on A-level results day. I hope not because that would be a bit awkward but then again, it would be the only chance I have because I'm going to a different school next year. :biggrin:

Next year I'm going to another school so I'm not entirely sure what would be best. I put on my application that I wanted to do English Lit, Maths, Physics and Geography. Then I decided to swap computing with geography and do further maths. Now I'm considering just taking further maths. I honestly don't know... Probably English Lit, Maths, Physics and Further Maths. Knowing me, I won't know until I start on the first day of sixth form.

Uni? This is another thing I have no idea about. Business, English, Maths, Computing, Physics, Computing with Philosophy? I'll cross that bridge when I get to it. All I know is that I want to go to Oxbridge but I don't know what I want to study. I don't think it really matters as long as I get there. :smile:

Thanks for the maths tips! My teacher is also making us do past papers every lesson, the only problem is she can't teach! I didn't understand where I had gone wrong on a question and her 'explanation' just confused me more! I ended up asking my physics teacher to explain it!

I'm moving schools for next year too! I debated taking Physics, Maths, Biology and Chemistry, but I know that I am only doing Maths so I can do Physics, so I went with Biology, Chemistry, Geography and Philosophy. By the way, if you take Maths and Further Maths, make sure that you take two other subjects because most universities don't view them as separate subjects!

Aiming high with Oxbridge then! Good luck and I hope you can decide on a course! Thanks again for the Maths advice, hopefully I can get my grade up before the exam! What exam board are you following for Maths? I'm Edexcel :smile:
Reply 25
Thanks for the maths tips! My teacher is also making us do past papers every lesson, the only problem is she can't teach! I didn't understand where I had gone wrong on a question and her 'explanation' just confused me more! I ended up asking my physics teacher to explain it!

I'm moving schools for next year too! I debated taking Physics, Maths, Biology and Chemistry, but I know that I am only doing Maths so I can do Physics, so I went with Biology, Chemistry, Geography and Philosophy. By the way, if you take Maths and Further Maths, make sure that you take two other subjects because most universities don't view them as separate subjects!

Aiming high with Oxbridge then! Good luck and I hope you can decide on a course! Thanks again for the Maths advice, hopefully I can get my grade up before the exam! What exam board are you following for Maths? I'm Edexcel :smile:

Every lesson? We just do them for homework! At least your physics teacher can help you tho! I need to take four subjects anyway, since my new school is high on academic achievement. :smile: It's whether I take five or not and which one/ two of three I take for my 4th/5th choice.

I'm sure you'll be able to get your maths grade up. I'm with Edexcel too. Have you tried the revision workbook?

Spoiler

It's really good for questions. Most of my class have it now. (I started the trend :smile: ) I'm sure I will decide when I get to year 12. At the moment we just have to focus on GCSEs...
Every lesson? We just do them for homework! At least your physics teacher can help you tho! I need to take four subjects anyway, since my new school is high on academic achievement. :smile: It's whether I take five or not and which one/ two of three I take for my 4th/5th choice.

I'm sure you'll be able to get your maths grade up. I'm with Edexcel too. Have you tried the revision workbook?

Spoiler

It's really good for questions. Most of my class have it now. (I started the trend :smile: ) I'm sure I will decide when I get to year 12. At the moment we just have to focus on GCSEs...

Yeah, we have the work book (we had to buy it). Our teacher is awful though, we have finished the book because she would set us twenty - twenty-five pages a week :frown:

All my brain can think about are GCSEs... everything else seems to have slipped out. My new school is high on academic achievement as well, we have to take four in our first year and we can drop one for the second if it gets too much! I started the trend with the OCR RS revision guides as well, and to return the favour, here's a link http://www.amazon.co.uk/GCSE-Religious-Studies-Philosophy-Revision/dp/1444110713/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1457878383&sr=8-2&keywords=gcse+rs+ocr+b (seriously though, this is how I revised and made flash cards from, it's brilliant!)
Reply 27
Yeah, we have the work book (we had to buy it). Our teacher is awful though, we have finished the book because she would set us twenty - twenty-five pages a week :frown:

All my brain can think about are GCSEs... everything else seems to have slipped out. My new school is high on academic achievement as well, we have to take four in our first year and we can drop one for the second if it gets too much! I started the trend with the OCR RS revision guides as well, and to return the favour, here's a link http://www.amazon.co.uk/GCSE-Religious-Studies-Philosophy-Revision/dp/1444110713/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1457878383&sr=8-2&keywords=gcse+rs+ocr+b (seriously though, this is how I revised and made flash cards from, it's brilliant!)

20-25 pages a week? And I thought a past paper a week was bad! :smile: (It's usually fine unless it's further maths... )

I'm trying to keep up with other stuff at the same time. I seem to be taking on a lot at the moment after dropping a load of things in January. They're all things I've wanted to do for ages and they seem to be giving me something else to focus on! Thank you for the link. I actually already have it but i didn't think to look in it for quotes! (I'm sorry!! :colondollar:) I've used it for all topic broadsheets (notes in mindmap form) and it's practically what I've taught myself the course from as our RS teacher is terrible and can't teach to save his life.
Reply 28
13-03-16 Update

Okay so I know I said that I could do it all but it's been a busy day and I have procrastinated. I did the RS quotes for all the topics which took me a while. I also prepared for my music lesson and then went there for a couple of hours (it ran over). I came back with music in my ears and spent the afternoon looking at things relating to that. I have 40 minutes until the Night Manager so I'm going to try to do more things on my list and then update this. This is going to motivate me to actually do the work!
Reply 29
13-03-16 Update
Today, although I've been doing things, I've not done much at all. I've sorted out my folders now but I'm still annoyed at myself since I haven't finished anything I vowed to do this weekend.

I thought I was finally turning a corner and had stopped procrastinating but my focus is still slipping and I have to get back on track. Starting tomorrow I'm going to employ a 'no excuses' approach and prioritise what I need to do. School needs to come first. GCSEs have to be my focus from here onwards. Everything else can wait until summer.

I feel silly putting this on here but I created this blog to motivate myself. And I have no hope of doing that if I'm not honest with myself. So tomorrow I'm going to turn a new leaf and I'll let you know how that goes.
20-25 pages a week? And I thought a past paper a week was bad! :smile: (It's usually fine unless it's further maths... )

I'm trying to keep up with other stuff at the same time. I seem to be taking on a lot at the moment after dropping a load of things in January. They're all things I've wanted to do for ages and they seem to be giving me something else to focus on! Thank you for the link. I actually already have it but i didn't think to look in it for quotes! (I'm sorry!! :colondollar:) I've used it for all topic broadsheets (notes in mindmap form) and it's practically what I've taught myself the course from as our RS teacher is terrible and can't teach to save his life.

I don't know how you manage RS without a good teacher - and thanks for the Maths advice, we did a past paper today and fingers crossed I finally get an A*! The revision guide for RS is good though, but I must say my flashcards are what got me my A*!! Good luck with revision x
Reply 31
17-03-16
I got my further maths non calculator past paper mark back and guess what? I was one mark off the A*. Although it would have been so much better had I got that one extra mark, it's given me hope for being able to get an A** in the real thing. (Me and my friend had a joke about aiming for A** before we realised it was a thing and now I'm a little obsessed with trying to get it)
I spoke to my music teacher about my composition again. He said I had to cut it down and oh my gosh! It was so much fun to destroy the thing that is causing me so much pain. :smile: I have to have it finished by Easter though which should be interesting...
Tomorrow I'm also going to redo my ensemble performance for music which I really should practice since we were supposed to record yesterday but I was a mess... In other news last night I made changes to my first composition to try to push it into the A* region since at the moment it's a solid A. If I can get it up to an A* it will alleviate the stress on the final exam and fingers crossed I should be able to get an A*. I really haven't given up on trying to get all A*s have I... Oh well! I can do this.
I've started to learn my French controlled assessment. So far I know 3/22 paragraphs and I've spend 2 hours on it. I cry. Still I have the weekend and I have recordings of French people to try to assimilate their accent before my speaking.
I handed in my DofE preparation today and got a merit for doing so. :smile: I was the first person to do it which was good as my teacher couldn't yell at me for not doing it...
I don't have much else to report. I've been more chilled this week which is good for me. I don't need to worry to get good results, when I do I tend to do worse. I do enough to get the marks I want and when I don't I do more. I don't need to worry, I just need to focus on being happy whilst balancing school work and getting the straight set of A*s I'm desperate for. I'm rambling but it's all okay. Re-reading this in July is going to be a laugh. :smile:
I love reading this! You're doing so well at keeping up to date with everything and trying your hardest that it's really motivating me to do the same :smile: I hope you get the grades you want!!
Reply 33
Original post by graciousgannon
I love reading this! You're doing so well at keeping up to date with everything and trying your hardest that it's really motivating me to do the same :smile: I hope you get the grades you want!!

Aw, thank you! I'm trying and that's all that matters! I hope you get what you want too!! :smile: (I like reading yours too btw!)
Reply 34
18-03-16
The plan for this weekend
English >Watch Videos >Print off blank poems >Read To Kill a Mockingbird
Maths >Content check notes
Further Maths >Further Maths Notes >Further Maths Calc Paper
Biology >Prepare B1 and content check
Chemistry >Prepare C1 and content check >Learn two equation triangles
Physics >Prepare P1 for tests and content check
RS >Print off quotes on card>Philosophy 1 Paper >Mark/ Cover sheet >30 minute test Peace & Justice Geography >Chapter 14 Notes >Read through notecards >Revision Workbook >A3 sheets 15.7-9
French >Languages Online >Note Vocab (memrise) >Speaking- listen to responses and learn
Music >Keywords >Gojimo >Order Music Book
IT >Info 1 Coversheets >Info 1 Notes 3-9

Today I content checked B1 so I only have B2 and B3 to go and then the entirety of science. Yay! :smile: I can do this.
Tomorrow I'm going prom dress shopping with my friends so I probably won't get much done but I don't think that matters as I need to stop avoiding thinking about what I'm going to wear for prom. :smile: I'll let you know how it goes!
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 35
20/03/16 - Mid Afternoon Update
I really need to find a better way to plan out my weekend otherwise I really don't get much done!
So far I have completed:
Maths >Content check notes
Further Maths >Notes
Biology >Content checked B1
RS >Printed off quotes on card (this took me longer than I predicted but I've finally finished making them and the stack is enormous!)
Music >Order Music Book

What I haven't done:
English >Watch Videos >Print off blank poems >Read To Kill a Mockingbird
Further Maths >Calc Paper (very close to being done)
Chemistry >Prepare C1 and content check >Learn two equation triangles
Physics >Prepare P1 for tests and content check
RS >Philosophy 1 Paper >Mark/ Cover sheet >30 minute test Peace & Justice Geography >Chapter 14 Notes >Read through notecards >Revision Workbook >A3 sheets 15.7-9
French >Languages Online >Note Vocab (memrise) >Speaking- listen to responses and learn
Music >Keywords >Gojimo
IT >Info 1 Coversheets >Info 1 Notes 3-9

Yesterday I watched Pan and today I've watched Captain America: The Winter Solider. I also went prom dress shopping which was very fun but has only left me more confused. I think I might order some off Asos and send back the ones that don't fit if my mum will let me...

On Friday I spent most of my afternoon ordering books from Amazon. They arrived just now, two days before they were supposed to which was nice. Who am I kidding? I just want to read them but I can't. Until 8 o'clock I need to work, work, work. I'll update you guys at 7.30 to let you know how I got on. :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
Someone's reading this? I thought it was just me on here! :smile: Thanks though I still have a long way to go. I'm enjoying reading yours too! Good luck to you too although you don't need luck! In the words of my headteacher 'Luck has nothing to do with it'. :smile:

hey I'm following it too - you are doing really well :biggrin:
Reply 37
20-03-16
In the last few hours I did another topic for my music keywords and made a playlist on Spotify for the music listening test book I got. I really haven't done much... I also printed off my French speaking questions. I'm too tired to analyse my procrastination so I'm just going to go to sleep. :smile:
Reply 38
26-03-16
Okay, I just realised how long it's been since I've updated. I finished school on Thursday and my week was fairly busy until then. I had my French speaking on Wednesday and although it was okay, I know I'm going to have to redo it again...

The next two weeks are Easter which means I want to be productive. Yesterday I had a nice day out with my family and I came back renewed in the belief that I can do this!!! I've made a plan of things I want to get done this Easter. It looks amazing to me, which I know shouldn't be the aim, but I usually fail at making things look good so this is a big personal achievement.

I've split down what I need to do into subjects and then into sub tasks, all colour coded and with boxes to put stickers in once completed. It seems to work too as yesterday I finished my music keywords and today I finished my geography notes.

I also had a singing lesson today and learnt another Italian song which I really like. :smile:

I'm going to restart the whole 'today I did' thing because it seemed to help me when I did it.

Today I learnt that I need to set a time limit on what I'm doing and focus more intently for shorter bursts of time.

Tomorrow I'm going to have a revision plan for the morning and stick to it! I'm also going to plan out the rest of my revision for the coming week.
Loving the organisation! It's going to go a long way and hopefully open the doors to your A*s Keep going :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending