The Student Room Group
Lakeside residences
Aston University, Birmingham
Birmingham
Visit website

timetables

just wondering if Astons any good at nice timetableing?

im commuting when i start in september so dont really fancy having nine oclock starts and six oclock finishes everyday.

the uni i was at before aston was pretty crap at this wth no day off and 2 days in all day 9-6. they actually managed to spread 12 hours over the whole week!

i know every uni and course is different but was just wondering if anyone could give me any idea and experiences!!

do freshers get to find out their timetables in advance or wont we get them till freshers week?
You pick them up in Fresher's Week.

In my first term, I had 11-8 on Mondays but Thursdays and Fridays off, in the second term I lost 2 hours from the Monday but that went on to Thursday.

This year I'm in every day but mostly only for a couple of hours at a time - languages get about 12 hours a week. Psychology only has 6 hours a week or something in the second year!

That probably didn't help very much, but as you said, it depends course by course and then year by year so we can't really give you a definitive answer!

It says you're from Tamworth which I would find too far to commute from anyway, but as long as you're determined to get to your lectures I'm sure you'll be fine.
Lakeside residences
Aston University, Birmingham
Birmingham
Visit website
Reply 2
it take just under an hour on the bus an bout 15 mins on the train.

i like my own space to much to live with people and like to do my own thing. cus im an only child i prefer to be able to be sociable when i want to an to be left alone when i want to be an from my experience this year ive learned i cant do that so living at home is the only option i have. also my mom and dad have said they wont give me any money if i live away from home because of how close it is which is fair enough really. and the government wont give me enough for me to live without their help so im abit stuck!!

i am bit worried if im honest, stuff like will i still make friends, will i do the commute if i do have all nine oclock starts but hopefully im just gonna push myself, an like i said its my only choice.:wink:

do you think i am gonna struggle?
Reply 3
I think it depends on your personality and making a good start. I personally couldn't do it, and buisness students only have 10am's in first year - then again I wasn't living at home. I also think you'll miss out on the best parts of university life, but thats just my personal opinion.
It's fair enough if you want to stay at home if that's where you think you'll be able to learn best. After all, that is the main objective with Uni!

As for whether you'll find it harder to make friends, just make that extra bit of effort like joining societies or sports clubs, particularly the home students society. Obviously you will miss out on bonding with flatmates, but I only talk to two out of the 17 others I lived with in my first year and I'm far closer to people on my course and friends of friends.

As has been said so many times on here, your social life is what you make of it. If you put in the effort to make friends, you'll have a great social life, if you don't, you won't, simple as that!

Latest