The Student Room Group

How to catch up with work? (MATH&ACTUARIAL DEGREE)

Hello guys,

I am a first year at the University of Southampton studying Math with Actuarial Science.
I would really appreciate some advice on how to catch up as I have remained behind during the second semester.
I had to work full time during night all February and although I have been to most lectures, I did not retain much and I skipped doing my weekly assignments and also the tutorials and math workshops.
The trouble is that I skipped arround 15-16 homeworks in total and now find it difficult if not impossible to catch up. Everytime I want to start doing one, I feel I cannot focus on them and just don't know how to cope with it as it also makes me feel kind of depressed. ( I do have a 3.5 years history of episodic depression, struggling to control it without medicaiton).
To make matters worse, I have insomnia due to trying to readapt my sleep hours, I have eating disorders, anxiety, low self esteem which kind of prevents me from socializing with others and working without stress in team, and Raynaud's disease (painfully cold hands and feet).
But leaving this aside, how can I catch up with work at math? I must confess I am not really into it as much as I thought I would be. I just liked the applied part but not the proof based part. Also I kind of noticed that although I was good at math, I tended to be good because I was memorizing different problems and its applications by solving alot ( I always hated to study alot of theory). I quite enjoyed doing that, but now it seems so lame and boring. Has anyone else experienced that? Does it mean I picked the wrong degree?
I must also mention I have started Uni at 23. Although I practiced a bit of math regularly in the last 4 years, I feel I have lost some exercise and knowledge.
What do yo advise me to do?
Go back over the assignments (all of them).
Reply 2
That is what I plan to do. First I will finish my homework which has the deadline next week. I really hope I can catch up. I want to get over 60 % for the entire year, as in first semester I only had on average 48-49.
Original post by Louisb19
Go back over the assignments (all of them).

Quick Reply

Latest